The evils of linked brakes

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
you can ride all day down a steep gravel grade , riding the rear brake and the front brake will never come on..

I just wish the linked brakes were the other way around. Squeeze the front hard and the rear comes automatically. My foot is lazier than my hand.

I have no issues with linked brakes on my Silver Wing scooter.. Yeah scooter.
bike.gif
Its heavy at 550 lbs and only has a single front disc. Doesn't stop like an FJR but has good brakes.

Its my hot weather toy all heat vents under or out the back. 565 miles in the last 2 days.

I must live and think to simple because iffens I be hitting brakes and it be stopping like I think it should then I am happy

Hey, that works most of the time in most conditions. But moving away from "most" whatever, tuning braking, throttle use, suspension ride all make a difference. As always "ride your own ride". :)

The point I'm trying make is simply that if I step on the pedal I don't want (a part of) the front brakes, too. And the other way around; if I pull the lever, I don't want the rear brakes, too. Obviously I'm talking about the ideal bike. the FJR has linked brakes and I think that's less than ideal. But just maybe there's something I should know about FJR brake linking. Why not ask and learn?
Linked brakes have been with us for decades (cars, trucks, and bikes of all makes and models). Proportioning valves and/or computers are there to ensure there is a threshold under which they act as if unlinked. Meh. People making hay about them tend to either adapt or move on. In the long run, observations (IMO) are that the issue is less than chest-thumped about over the long haul.

Last edited by a moderator:
The FJR has linked brakes. There it is. I have very specific reasons why I don't want them on my bike. Early on, I raised the question about the possibility of de-linking them - not gonna happen. What followed is mostly a discussion of why or why not linked brakes are a problem. In the end, the discussion's a mix of how to use the FJR brake system to get the desired result. Information gained, that's a Good Thing. :)

Bounce raised a very good point: heck yeah, almost all four (or more) vehicles have linked brakes. Stomp on that pedal and all those brake pads had darn well better start grabbing. Fortunately, some wise manufacturers have added dual independent brake systems. Lose pressure in one circuit and the other circuit is still there. Sure do like linking, oh my yes I do.

seems that you could simply disconnect the brake line from the rear at the front caliper and plug the line and the caliper.....no more linked brakes...of course you would lose the use of two pistons on the right front caliper..

seems that you could simply disconnect the brake line from the rear at the front caliper and plug the line and the caliper.....no more linked brakes...of course you would lose the use of two pistons on the right front caliper..
But those aren't used anyway when using the front brake. (Only the other three piston pairs are activated by the right hand lever)

Sigh... I wrote something irrelevant (like that's a surprise?) and can't delete the post, just the text, so I put this piece of irrelevance in its place. This is an improvement??

But those aren't used anyway when using the front brake. (Only the other three piston pairs are activated by the right hand lever)
tru dat..

Let me know when you're racing that FJR for the big bucks on a track and then tell me about the f't, d up braking...until then I'm totally happy working with the system I've got...in the real world of sport touring...works great less filling....ff

'

You be sure to let us know how that works. If not you, your heirs...
wink.png
the whole point of linked brakes is to not involve your heirs... I have never had a bike that stopped harder than the feej using just the rear pedal...the point of linked brakes is to protect people who are too stupid or unskilled to use the front brake [you will go over the handlebars ! ]..

as far as how that works for me--I would never disconnect the linked brakes...you are the one bitching about linked brakes '

practicing 60 to 0 stops..[did you ever try that ?] I can stop the Feej in @ 120 feet..

Linked brakes are EVIL! Linked brakes are NOT SAFE! Linked brakes are just one more reason why the FJR is inferior to (insert YOUR favorite brand here).

I don't know that I have ever felt the threshold where the proportioning valve allowed pressure to actuate the front pistons from the rear brake. EVERY time I used that much force on the rear brake I was already squeezing the front. Normal low speed maneuvering that requires the rear brake does not actuate anything on the front. This is a complete non issue. There is nothing to interfere with anything anyone might do with the FJR, no matter how skilled or wonderful the rider may think he/she is.

This whole thread has been an exercise in WTF???

I like the ones in my gen III. I liked the ones on my BMW. I like linked brakes. Heck, I like ABS too.

Linked brakes are EVIL! Linked brakes are NOT SAFE! Linked brakes are just one more reason why the FJR is inferior to (insert YOUR favorite brand here).
I don't know that I have ever felt the threshold where the proportioning valve allowed pressure to actuate the front pistons from the rear brake. EVERY time I used that much force on the rear brake I was already squeezing the front. Normal low speed maneuvering that requires the rear brake does not actuate anything on the front. This is a complete non issue. There is nothing to interfere with anything anyone might do with the FJR, no matter how skilled or wonderful the rider may think he/she is.

This whole thread has been an exercise in WTF???
Not playing Devil's Advocate here, just stating what I see every year. I'm a "dual braker", meaning that most often I apply front and rear brakes equally. Or at least what feels equal to me, providing a smooth stop that I like. But know what I see every single spring when I inspect front brakes? The lower right pads are always worn at least twice as much as the other sets. My bike has done this since day 1. And this tells me that I must be in the vast, vast minority that actually uses the rear brake pedal to apply front brakes and that what others consider "normal rear braking" isn't really good braking. Just my us$.02 I don't think I've ever "felt" the proportional valve shift, if I did/do I have no idea what it "feels" like. The Unified Braking System feels perfectly normal to me, no different than completely separate systems on previous bikes.

https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php/topic/174408-es-suspension-splain-me/?p=1396551

RBE, IMHO you're a boob. Apparently you have little to no understanding of the specific system about which you're bitching. You seem to have a good understanding of linked brakes in general but lack in-depth Yamaha Unified Braking System specific knowledge. Here's an idea- RTFM. Then if you don't want unified braking simply unhook and plug the front rear brake hose. Or better yet, re-pipe the front rear to be front front, then all fronts will be front and the rear will be rear. In other words-- stop trolling, get off your ass and do something about it.