The Hog Phenomenon

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
2 wheels are better than 4 wheels !
Judge not lest ye be judged !

I wave at all bikes !

YMMV
In South Carolina where I live now, even most of the Hardley riders will semi-wave at you. In South Florida, where I used to live, you could almost NEVER get a Hardley rider to wave and the ones with the "ape hanger" bars ABSOLUTELY NEVER. One day on a LONG STRAIGHT road I saw a guy with

ape-hangers approaching, so I put the "cruise" on and lifted my arms way up in the air and then "waved" at him while still quite a ways away. Danged if he didn't wave back, I had fooled him. As he got closer and realized I was NOT on a Hardley, he gave me the finger. LOL

Last edited by a moderator:
It is wonderful that someone can get the pot boiling with a little bit of opinion. Opinions are like assholes, we each get one. However after allowing a Harley owner to syphon a little fuel after he ran out in the Canadian Rockies, I asked that my payback would be his sharing the experience with other Harley riders. I have often wondered if that experience was ever mentioned to anyone. Just my American cents worth as we have gotten ride of them in Canada.

Why I test rode and purchased my Harley.

I have ridden UJM bikes for the past 45 years. I always said Harleys were over priced, ill handling, oil leaking, pieces of sh**. I moved to east Tennessee in 2015. After riding around here for a year or so on my FJR (137,000 miles) or Vstrom (45,000 miles and two trips to Alaska), I kept seeing all these Harleys. I decided to rent one and see for myself what all the noise was about. I figured I had badmouthed them for 45 years and never ridden one so maybe I should do so and be better informed. I rented a 2016 Street Glide Special. I was quite shocked. It actually handled quite well. I live 35 minutes from the Dragon and Charahola Skyway, so plenty of good roads were available to play with. I rode it on switchbacks, twisties, straights, gentle curves, and interstates. It handled everything I tried with good results. The end result was I went back then next day and bought a new 2016 Street Glide Special. I rode that bike 49,275 miles over the next 13 months. Yes, I ride quite a lot. It never gave me so much as a hiccup. Last spring my wife gave up her 2007 Honda VFR-800 (75,000 miles), purchased NOS in 2012 for a new 2017 Vrod. In 2017 they came out with the M-8 motor and I had no desire to test ride it as I was quite content with my 2016 and did not want to take the trade in hit on a year old bike with high mileage. This past August they released the new 2018 models. I liked the color and blacked out aspect of the bike. I test rode it and traded in my FJR and my wife's VFR toward it as well as my 2016. The FJR and VFR were both on Craigs List for 4 months with one inquiry on each. When they saw the mileage they backed off. They were priced 3,000 and 2,000 below blue book value, no interest even at the reduced price with all paperwork detailing maintenance. The FJR even had an AK-20 front fork kit and a Penske rear shock. Both of our Harleys are fast enough to get us killed and have modern enough technology to handle well and get over 50 mpg, although the Vrod only gets 35-40 mpg. The Vrod is no longer made because it has a water cooled motor designed by Porsche and Harley purists did not like it. Modern technology that everyone "wanted" but no one wanted to buy. I hear how Harley is losing sales and Indian is gaining. That is to be expected. Harley had basically no competition for many years and then Polaris came along with the Victory brand. It gave people an option in that did not want a Harley but wanted an "American" V Twin. After a decade of trying to grow the brand, Polaris bought the right to the Indian name and released the modern Indian, initially as a high priced limited production motorcycle. They then spent several years trying to sell both brands. After Victory never did come close to what H-D did in sales, Polaris decided they could not afford to keep both brands so they folded up Victory. To bad for all the Victory owners who supported them for 17 years or so, now they lost what little resale they had. Indian sales have grown and will continue to grow as an alternative to H-D. Harley has stepped up their game as a direct result of the competition by Indian, among others. They now use cartridge inserts instead of oil for the front forks, a more modern engine, and a better rear suspension as well as built in Navigation systems among other electronic upgrades. Are they as modern as a Gold Wing or other Japanese products, no, but then again they are not meant to be. How old is the engine design of the FJR? But, it still works and does its job well. Does the FJR have all the technology of a Yamaha R-1 or Honda CBR-1000RR or GSXR 1000, No, but we still like it and ride it. If you have never ridden a new Harley but continue to bad mouth it, give it a try. You may be in for a surprise as I was. A lot of people do not like them due to cost but that does not mean it is a bad product, just expensive. I do not dress like a pirate (no puffy shirts for me), I still wear a full face helmet, boots, proper jacket with back protection, basically everything I wore riding the FJR. My 2018 Street Glide Special now has 55,759 mile on it without any issues. My wifes Vrod now has just under 50,000 miles and we still have a pair of Vstrom 650 that we use for Fire Roads. If you are ever in East Tennessee, send me a PM and I will show you a few good places to go play.

Good write up Larry. I don't bash HDs and in 45 years of riding I've never ridden an HD. I do admire the esthetics of the brand and especially like the Heritage Edition models. They are just artwork on two wheels, imo.

One potential problem I've always thought I might have with an HD is problems with a somewhat herniated disk in my lower lumbar. I say this because of the way the HD forces the rider's feet out in front while the wide handlebars require one to lean forward. I just have always thought this would be painful for one with a compromised back.

About 2009 my wife and I were riding our 2004 R1150RT (sold) from Baker City. OR to Bend, OR on US20 which is a pretty fast two lane across Eastern Oregon with not a lot of traffic. We stopped in Burns to fill up before crossing the high desert and noticed a young lady at the gas station looking at a road map. She was on an HD and from South Dakota. We left the station and headed west and were about 20 miles west of Burns when here comes the girl on the HD and she was moving out! We were following a semi at about 70 mph when she took us and the semi like Grant took Richmond. Well, not to be outdone I whipped it up over 100 mph to catch up and that is how we rode all the way to Bend. We kept up but no way was I going to attempt to pass and she didn't back off in the few curves we encountered. We got to the first light on the east side of Bend and she motioned us to come up along side. She nicely told us not to feel bad as the Harley was far from stock. She was non-stop from SD to Bend to see her boy friend in the hospital. Anyway, that was a humbling experience that made a lasting impression.

I've been thinking about renting a Harley for a day ($100) just to be able to say I rode one and who knows maybe it wouldn't kill my back.
smile.png

Good write up Larry. I don't bash HDs and in 45 years of riding I've never ridden an HD. I do admire the esthetics of the brand and especially like the Heritage Edition models. They are just artwork on two wheels, imo.
One potential problem I've always thought I might have with an HD is problems with a somewhat herniated disk in my lower lumbar. I say this because of the way the HD forces the rider's feet out in front while the wide handlebars require one to lean forward. I just have always thought this would be painful for one with a compromised back.

About 2009 my wife and I were riding our 2004 R1150RT (sold) from Baker City. OR to Bend, OR on US20 which is a pretty fast two lane across Eastern Oregon with not a lot of traffic. We stopped in Burns to fill up before crossing the high desert and noticed a young lady at the gas station looking at a road map. She was on an HD and from South Dakota. We left the station and headed west and were about 20 miles west of Burns when here comes the girl on the HD and she was moving out! We were following a semi at about 70 mph when she took us and the semi like Grant took Richmond. Well, not to be outdone I whipped it up over 100 mph to catch up and that is how we rode all the way to Bend. We kept up but no way was I going to attempt to pass and she didn't back off in the few curves we encountered. We got to the first light on the east side of Bend and she motioned us to come up along side. She nicely told us not to feel bad as the Harley was far from stock. She was non-stop from SD to Bend to see her boy friend in the hospital. Anyway, that was a humbling experience that made a lasting impression.

I've been thinking about renting a Harley for a day ($100) just to be able to say I rode one and who knows maybe it wouldn't kill my back.
smile.png
Rent one and you may be as surprised as I was. My streetglide has floorboards and my feet are where they would be while sitting in a chair at home. The handlebars are stock and do not feel that different from my old FJR. All their models fit differently so try sitting on a few in the showroom.

Bustanut joker posted: Agreed, it's no fun unless somebody continues to get butt hurt.
smile.png
So ... why stop?

Note to anyone who may post anywhere on the internet at any time in the future: Expect a response from those who think differently.

Hopefully, I don't have to tell my therapist that I agree with Bust.

I ride with a few different groups and each consists of an eclectic mix of bikes, including Harleys. Everyone's cool with everyone else's ride. I've ridden a few Harleys and agree that they ride and handle fine. I've been riding for nearly 50 years - mostly dirt bikes and dual-sports, but I did have some road bikes along the way: '66 Yamaha 100cc TwinJet, '78 SR500 thumper, '02 R6 and now my '18 FJR. One thing all of the road bikes had in common with the dirt bikes is that I could easily stand up and use my legs. On the Harleys, I was uncomfortable just sitting there with my feet out in front. It felt like I was lacking some essential control. I couldn't stand up to allow the use of my legs to hug the tank or suck up the bumps of a curb, pothole or RR track. Obviously lots of bikes other than Harleys have the same configuration, but that's the main reason I've never considered owning one. However, I gotta' admit that - though I've never ridden one - the V-Rod concept did stoke my fire!

I had a friend who was the BMW dealer in Fairbanks, AK for nearly 50 years. In his late 70s he bought a VRod. He had many bikes, but often rode the VRod. His was one of the relatively few made with a neutral foot peg position, which was a big plus in my opinion. The motor was fantastic and except for the overly raked forks, the bike was a great ride. But it was unpopular with the HD masses.

My friend, agreeing with Bustanut is probably the least troubling thing you have to admit to your therapist.
jester.gif
And this AFTER you stated you were concerned after you admitted agreeing with me?

Not only was I butt hurt when you questioned your sanity for agreeing I was also confused and had to schedule 2 extra sessions with me therapist.

I was going to send you the bill but now that your have backhandedly kinda sorta defended my honor, I'm going to give you a pass.

back on track.. I think I'm going to buy one of those Harley things as it appears they are controversial and if there is one thing I thrive on it's controversy. I'll be able to flip off all you jap bike riders and make friends with outlaw bikers with impunity. Hell I'll probably steal some shit off a Honda or two just to build up my Street Cred.
pirate.gif

smile.png
Rent one and you may be as surprised as I was. My streetglide has floorboards and my feet are where they would be while sitting in a chair at home. The handlebars are stock and do not feel that different from my old FJR. All their models fit differently so try sitting on a few in the showroom.
I rented an Electra Glide Ultra Classic for a few days in Florida last October. It was a very nice bike, but there were a few idiosyncrasies that kept me from loving it. Engine-wise, I thought it was very good. Not my FJR, but then again it was probably 300 pounds heavier. But the seat, while it looks good, wasn't. My wife and both were complaining after a couple of hours. And little things like separate right and left signals, no kill switch on the kickstand, and a disappearing gear indicator when the clutch is in seem weird for a modern bike, even with the nod to tradition that Harley is know for. But the biggest thing was the HEAT that came off of that engine and was trapped behind the screen. I had all of the vents I could find opened up. Almost made me want to ride helmetless with no gear. In the end, it wasn't my cup of tea for a purchase consideration, but I get why people can like them.

FWIW, I still tease my stepdad, whose Harley always has problems no matter who works on it. His Triumph Rocket 3 is a blast however. But life would be boring if we all had the same likes. Once day I may find a Harley I like. Maybe not. I do think the Indians are beautiful bikes though and give Harley some needed competition in that space. And a Scout always seems to be calling my name,

Just ride. Something.

I've ridden a few modern Harleys over the past 4-5 years. The surprise for me was that the "sportster" style doesn't handle nor feel lighter than the "bagger" style bike. My favorite was the Switchback. The ergos are terrible, I'll never understand the appeal of the lack of counter-balancers, and even the stock exhaust is too loud. But the larger front wheel turns surprisingly well, the H/D transmission is as silky smooth as you will ever ride, and they have good predictable brakes.

The 15/16 Street Glide is absolute crack eye candy. That is a beautiful motorcycle and I'm quite sure it sold itself.

My friend, agreeing with Bustanut is probably the least troubling thing you have to admit to your therapist.
jester.gif
And this AFTER you stated you were concerned after you admitted agreeing with me?

Not only was I butt hurt when you questioned your sanity for agreeing I was also confused and had to schedule 2 extra sessions with me therapist.

I was going to send you the bill but now that your have backhandedly kinda sorta defended my honor, I'm going to give you a pass.

back on track.. I think I'm going to buy one of those Harley things as it appears they are controversial and if there is one thing I thrive on it's controversy. I'll be able to flip off all you jap bike riders and make friends with outlaw bikers with impunity. Hell I'll probably steal some shit off a Honda or two just to build up my Street Cred.
pirate.gif
Honey Bunny,

Uncle Hud is a Georgia resident. He has waaaaay more issues than you or I. And that is really saying something...

I am sorry about you being butt hurt. Perhaps 'Zilla will offer to kiss it and make it better for you. He is really useful for stuff like that.

You are correct, I should pay for the therapy sessions. I know this forum is your Safe Zone and I violated that. I apologize.

I am somewhat surprised that you don't own a Harley. I guess folks will laugh at me but there are some really good and useful Harleys out there.

And for those that care, the Indian is indeed a beautiful motorcycle but the heat coming off the rear cylinder head on the right side is incredible. Perhaps if my legs were longer it would not be an issue but it literally cooked the inside of my right thigh. Kind of smelled like bacon frying...

Well I didn't want to publicize this but seein's how El Guano isn't receiving messages I have to post it here. Ok maybe he's not here anymore but just in case.

Don't bother showing up @ tech day if only because you said you couldn't deal with drinkers.
rolleyes.gif
Add to the fact you come across as a nasty person and I'm not of the temperament to put up with horse shit.
nono.gif
Especially from people I don't even know.

There are three types of bikers:

Those that dress like Transformers

those that dress like Pirates

Those that dress like squids

All of them and their motorcycles go to heaven, but the squids might just get there first.

I used to tease Harley Riders but the longer I ride, the more I find motorcycle-peeps generally to be decent.

Life is short - too short to discriminate based on a persons choice of motorcycle. Judge someone by the way they treat others, not what they look like or what they ride.

I currently own nine motorcycles, not one of them a Harley. I might trade most of them for my dads fully restored 1949 Harley Police Special, if it could be found, cause it was his pride and joy. I wouldnt trade my Metisse but I would probably trade the others, and probably starting with the FJR, except that it isnt worth squat as an 08 with only 34k miles. Ive enjoyed the FJR but honestly more for the people it brought into my life and the places it took me, rather than anything inherently special about the bike.

Fetishing any material object is generally foolish. Except maybe a Metisse. Or a Martin ukulele. Ok, theres a vacuum tube amp, and maybe a CZ75 9mm, or most any early air cooled Porsche. I do like me a fine rangefinder camera with a Zeiss lens, and theres nothing quite like a good set of Snap On tools.

But a mass produced Japanese motorcycle ridden or crashed by the likes of ScooterG, Carver, Bustanut, the a-hole Fairlaner, and that dirty old whore Old Michael? Nope...nothing special about that bike at all....

Last edited by a moderator:
My friend, agreeing with Bustanut is probably the least troubling thing you have to admit to your therapist. :jester:

back on track.. I think I'm going to buy one of those Harley things as it appears they are controversial and if there is one thing I thrive on it's controversy. I'll be able to flip off all you jap bike riders and make friends with outlaw bikers with impunity. Hell I'll probably steal some shit off a Honda or two just to build up my Street Cred. :pirate:
Honey Bunny,

Uncle Hud is a Georgia resident. He has waaaaay more issues than you or I. And that is really saying something...

I am sorry about you being butt hurt. Perhaps 'Zilla will offer to kiss it and make it better for you. He is really useful for stuff like that.

You are correct, I should pay for the therapy sessions. I know this forum is your Safe Zone and I violated that. I apologize.

I am somewhat surprised that you don't own a Harley. I guess folks will laugh at me but there are some really good and useful Harleys out there.

And for those that care, the Indian is indeed a beautiful motorcycle but the heat coming off the rear cylinder head on the right side is incredible. Perhaps if my legs were longer it would not be an issue but it literally cooked the inside of my right thigh. Kind of smelled like bacon frying...
WHY do I always get drug into this stuff?? I'm thinking El Guano Pendejo may be on to something. RFH, I'm thinking you may be a bonafide internet bully. I'm having serious thoughts about the state of this discussion.

Bwaaaaaaaaa...Who am I kidding. RFH, your first post that sent the butt-hurtedness into overdrive was my favorite of this pile of trash. Clowns like this new guy are why I deleted my Instagram account. Keyboard warriors are way too stupid to deal with and they are like fighting with any other fool. They're such proficient idiots that if we engage them, they drag us down to their level and beat us with experience.

Anyone remember that dumb cow that got into it with Beemerdons? Remember, she had an FJR and her husband and all his friends had like FZ1s and could not keep up? She was a tool. I'm wondering if the 36-post wonder is her husband. 36 posts and most are in this turd. Congrats dum-dum. You have contributed absolutely zero. I'm thinking this is a pattern in your sorry-assed 70 years.