The Journey begins July 11th

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FJRChick

Reaction score
I will begin my vacation at 5pm on July 11th and do not intend to return to the cube until 9 am August 11th.

THE PLAN is to have as few solid plans as possible. Basically, go northish in the beginning, turn left somewhere in a westward direction until I hit ocean again. Then ride southernly with a stop in Lompoc, CA and turn back toward the Atlantic.

So .... anyone open to an unexpected visitor? Any advice?

There are only three of us on this trip so far - Me, Myself and I :D

My family is insisting on the SPOT thing, but so far I have avoided GPS and maps.

I will 'live' blog as best as I can.

The best times I've ever had was getting lost, and it's amazing what you can find when your lost.

You can even find yourself sometimes.

I have the FJR List, my bike is fully serviced and aerostich is ordered.

So that and a credit card, right?

A month?! I hate you. :p

Ride safe and ping me when you near Lompton. If I'm around, me and the boiz can rendezvous up that way. Other than that, you're stopping by NAFO, right?

Pack on a couple fifths of Jagermeister an head this way. I owe mizz bust a couple a days with some forum folk.

A whole month off :blink: Damn! I need a new profession.

:jester:

Last edited by a moderator:
NAFO is the only thing I made reservations for on this trip :D

:yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo: Now the trick is to focus on work for the next month *sigh*

A month?! I hate you. :p
Ride safe and ping me when you near Lompton. If I'm around, me and the boiz can rendezvous up that way. Other than that, you're stopping by NAFO, right?

I will begin my vacation at 5pm on July 11th and do not intend to return to the cube until 9 am August 11th.THE PLAN is to have as few solid plans as possible. Basically, go northish in the beginning, turn left somewhere in a westward direction until I hit ocean again. Then ride southernly with a stop in Lompoc, CA and turn back toward the Atlantic.

So .... anyone open to an unexpected visitor? Any advice?

There are only three of us on this trip so far - Me, Myself and I :D

My family is insisting on the SPOT thing, but so far I have avoided GPS and maps.

I will 'live' blog as best as I can.

The best times I've ever had was getting lost, and it's amazing what you can find when your lost.

You can even find yourself sometimes.

I have the FJR List, my bike is fully serviced and aerostich is ordered.

So that and a credit card, right?
If you aren't afraid of the glaciers that have pushed the mastodon herds south of the Great Lakes Basin and want to enjoy some of the beauty of the River Road, maybe even Wildcat Mountain, let me know. It's usually beautiful around here in July!

Chris

Dont know if your into camping, 4 weeks is an awful lot of hotel money.

Look up k.o.a. campgrounds along your route. You could bunk over nite in some of those small cabins for $30ish a nite. Still have a hot shower & maybe pool .

Well, good for you! Sounds like a good time. If by chance you find yourself in the Norfolk VA area, I'd be glad to hook up a sista' with a place to sleep & a hot meal. Really though, I'll bet that you won't want to come through here. It is similar in flatness to a pancake... & at that time of the year it's a really STEAMY HOT pancake.

Speaking of which.. you picked a fine time to wear an Aerostich for an extended tour. Perhaps picking up a cooling vest might work out well for you.

If I don't hear anything from you, be safe & have fun.

Heidi

Edited to add: I forgot to mention cold beer. I'd definitely have cold beer for a visitor.

You'd be surprised how far I will travel for a cold beer :D .

Honestly though, not sure where I'll end up. I have a friend in Connecticut and another in Nova Scotia.

It's been a loooooong time since I've seen childhood friends, army buddies, college friends and reconnect with people in general.

The big vacation part is the lack of planning ..... that's all I do, day in and day out and the thought of going where the wind blows me sounds very cool.

I have a cooling vest but I'm constantly wet with it. Maybe I'm using it wrong.

My mom is convinced I'm going to be raped and murdered (geez, 38 and she is still on my ass), hence the tracking thingie.

But I've ALWAYS wanted to do this and I can't think of a better time :D

Well, good for you! Sounds like a good time. If by chance you find yourself in the Norfolk VA area, I'd be glad to hook up a sista' with a place to sleep & a hot meal. Really though, I'll bet that you won't want to come through here. It is similar in flatness to a pancake... & at that time of the year it's a really STEAMY HOT pancake.
Speaking of which.. you picked a fine time to wear an Aerostich for an extended tour. Perhaps picking up a cooling vest might work out well for you.

If I don't hear anything from you, be safe & have fun.

Heidi

Edited to add: I forgot to mention cold beer. I'd definitely have cold beer for a visitor.

You'd be surprised how far I will travel for a cold beer :D .I have a cooling vest but I'm constantly wet with it. Maybe I'm using it wrong.

My mom is convinced I'm going to be raped and murdered (geez, 38 and she is still on my ass), hence the tracking thingie.

But I've ALWAYS wanted to do this and I can't think of a better time :D
Hahaha.. funny, I'm like that too.

About that cooling vest. You probably are using it right. The humidity in Florida will keep it from working well. Same here in VA... if it's humid, which it is a lot in the summer, it doesn't work well. When you get into heat that has low/lower humidity, they work amazingly well.

About your mom... some things will never change. I'm 45 & mine still worries to death about me. I went to WV to visit my friends Jim & Creta to do some EOM route scouting. Who called me around dinner time? My mom... & I'm really not bothered by it. I'm really happy that she's concerned about me. Uhhhh, I never did tell her about my mishap last year. :derisive:

But, the offer stands... I understand about planning but I'd appreciate just a little advance notice.

Are you using the water wicking tee shirt underneath?

From what I have read that would help you keep dryer.

Good luck on your trip and keep that list handy.. a lot of riders wouldn't mind you staying the night and that could save a bundle.

Sounds like fun, I'm envious. If you're in Lompoc, don't miss the run out to Jamala beach for a cheeseburger. It's a great ride, and the burger ain't bad either.

Hey Girl. Sounds fun. I am headed out this Saturday for South Dakota, Yellowstone, Estes park and wherever else I can find. I only have to weeks though, so I am jealous of you.

Have a blast. See you around town.

Janet

I will begin my vacation at 5pm on July 11th and do not intend to return to the cube until 9 am August 11th.
So if you don't mind my asking... what do you do that allows a whole month off? They'd kill me if someone wasn't around to herd the servers, and nobody else is stupid enough to take over the job.

(but I AM heading up to TN in a couple of weeks for the Honda Hoot, by gum)

If you need any help "on the fly" planning around New England I'd be glad to help. And if you get near Vermont you better look me up. I could have a "cold one" for you.

Tom

See you at NAFO. We will be wandering home afterwards... maybe over to Utah or down to Albequerque...then east...probably stopping in the Ozark Mtns for a couple of days.