The Journey begins July 11th

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
WOW 'Chick! Sounds like the trip of a lifetime. Way cool.

And leave extra time to linger in N. CA. - especially the coast. Regular is still under $5 per gallon here!

We're all on "the list."

(Don't forget the food pics!) :lol:

peace

Michael

When you get out to the PNW and CA, check our ride planning areas for who is out there and PM us. A couple days notice or something over a weekend and we might be able to guide you along some of our favorite "off the beaten path" roads and hook you up with some home made food....or at least take you to a good place for some excellent "vittles".

As others have said....stay in touch....and have a great time! :yahoo:

oooooo...a whole MONTH!! That makes my 2 weeks coming up in August seem so...well....weak.

*sigh*.. send up some smoke signals if you find yourself in Texas. I've been known to travel two days for some lunch.

Hope your vacation kicks much ass!

Last edited by a moderator:
I would go back to Nova Scotia in a heartbeat, it's lots cooler up there & the natives are friendly. Out West way you can get pretty good pricing on the motels that are the mom & pop variety (if you don't mind the dust bunnies). My best MC vacations have been the ones where we had an eventual destination (like NAFO) but no plan to get there & back, just winged it & did some exploring every day.

Good luck, have fun, keep the cell phone charged...

WEEEE see you at NAFO. When I wandered around Florida for 3 weeks without a real plan it was pure heaven. My daughter is traveling with me to Golden and we might take a month to get home!

Get close enough use your list. Can't speak too loudy for the other washingtonians, but a good meal and a place to crash are always available. Provided timing works, a riding partner for a day could be arranged. I sort of feel a 24 hr bug coming on B)

Have fun and keep an eye out for the cagers.

I'm a technology project manager for a large financial institution.

I negotiated the vacation in my yearly employee review :D .

Also, I can work from anywhere if they really need me too, but they will compensate if I have to do that.

I will begin my vacation at 5pm on July 11th and do not intend to return to the cube until 9 am August 11th.
So if you don't mind my asking... what do you do that allows a whole month off? They'd kill me if someone wasn't around to herd the servers, and nobody else is stupid enough to take over the job.

(but I AM heading up to TN in a couple of weeks for the Honda Hoot, by gum)

If you post up I will definitely try to stop by while I'm wandering around and would love a tour of the area :)

If you are not on the list, please pm.

I'm debating about Boston - I've traveled the US often and have seen a lot of stuff, but I've never been to Boston.

If you post up I will definitely try to stop by while I'm wandering around and would love a tour of the area :) If you are not on the list, please pm.

I'm debating about Boston - I've traveled the US often and have seen a lot of stuff, but I've never been to Boston.
If you end up anywhere near Pensacola Florida on your travels let me know and I'll show you around the beach area.

Skippy

If you post up I will definitely try to stop by while I'm wandering around and would love a tour of the area :) If you are not on the list, please pm.

If you've been to any of the other north east cities, Boston isn't all that much different. I would skip right over it and head North to Maine, New Hampshire, Vermont and the Canadian Maritimes. Better riding, way less congestion, more stuff to see and do.

Get close enough use your list. Can't speak too loudy for the other washingtonians, but a good meal and a place to crash are always available. Provided timing works, a riding partner for a day could be arranged. I sort of feel a 24 hr bug coming on B)
Have fun and keep an eye out for the cagers.
If you get near Vermont I can feel the 24 hour bug coming on as well. Unless you get here after June 24th. I'm Blue Ridge Parkway bound then. :yahoo: And I do give good tours of Vermont! HINT HINT HINT

Tom

Sounds like a slice of heaven!

Enjoy your trip; and I'm looking forward to your reports.

Sounds like a plan. Mine is similar.

I leave on the 22nd from Calgary, and other NAFO, and having to be back in Calgary on the 17th of August, I have a credit card, a camera and the FJR.

See you in Golden.

Griff

Route 50 from Winchester, VA to Grafton, WV

Traversed this road last Sept. on a Houston-Gettysburg trip and it was probably one of the best roads of the entire tour (briefly described here.)

Missoula, MT to Challis, ID

Got lost on the return trip two years ago that went up the Pacific Coast Hwy, through Vancouver, and then back to Houston by way of the Rockies. Route 93 (part of which is named the Lewis & Clark Trail) sits in a river valley until it hits Salmon, ID and then takes off for some nice mountain passes. It's a beautiful ride, some nice curves but nothing really challenging - so it all makes for a very relaxing ride.

Going To The Sun Highway

Beautiful piece of two-lane road built right into the sides of the mountains. It's best to coordinate the morning/evening sun so that it's behind you rather than blasting you in the face, but this road had some of the most spectacular views of the entire Glacier NP area. Not sure about traffic - didn't seem so bad around the Aug/Sept timeframe in 2006. There are also a few resorts that are reasonably priced that offer wonderful scenic overlooks. It's a nice thing to wake up to.

The Village Smithy Restaurant

Best breakfast in the Colorado!

Route 152, Silver City, NM to Caballo, NM

Twisties, twisties, and more twisty goodness!! Route 35 also takes you right by the NM Gila Cliff Dwellings...good for a small stop.

Enjoy!