The ONE Picture Ride Report

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Have driven/ridden past this place to/from work/school since 1978, since before they had an SR-71A on display. A friend called this afternoon, "I want to go to Cycle Gear!" so off we went on his red 2014 and my cobalt 2016. On the way I radioed via Sena intercoms, "We should stop on the way back to pose in front of the SR-71". So we did. This is my picture. U.S. Space & Rocket Center, Huntsville, AL.

Sky looks nice in pictures but 90° to the left of this picture the sky was black. I got soaked riding 9 miles home.

FJR%20SR-71a%20Nose.jpg

In 2010, I bought my first bike in 23 years - an FZ1, the first time I'd ridden anything bigger than a 250. My best friend, an older and experienced rider, convinced me that I would regret a smaller bike, and I was quickly glad I listened to him.

I've put about 35k on my small fleet since then, but one of my favorite rides was to speak at a conference in Asheville in 2013. I planned the trip so I could take the long way and enjoy as much of the roads up there as possible. Ended up riding in some rain but I had prepared for it so it wasn't an issue. I often ride in the hills of North GA, TN and NC, but taking a trip like this really appeals to me, and having just picked up an FJR, I'm now equipped to do so in comfort.

0CE452BB-86F3-4763-BE19-934215A95531-7141-00000B87992F25C3_zpsdcc4a4ee.jpg

100_0880_sm.jpg

Cottonwood Pass with Taylor Park Res in the background.

An old-timer in a "hole in the wall" bar the night before told us: "you should take Cottonwood Pass over to Buena Vista. You won't regret it ..." he was right.

After my planned dual sport ride vacation got cut short (by my own stupidity) since I had already scheduled myself out on vacation, and Monday was forecast to be a stellar weather day, I got in touch with my retired FJR friend, Captain Jack (bbdig) who is always up for a ride up into the White Mountains at the drop of a hat. Timing was critical, as the Hardley pirates will begin to arrive toward the end of this week for the Loudon Classic, and they will take over the roads in much of the state for the next 10-12 days.

Jack is an early riser, so he took the 45 minute slab ride up from Taxachusetts to my place arriving at 7AM. After a quick and tasty breakfast at the diner just down the road (Poor Boy's) we hit the road by 7:30 and used a variety of familiar back roads to get away from all the angry commuters heading in to work.

The morning started out a bit foggy and overcast, but we were optimistic it would clear out well before we got up into the mountains. Rode route 153, from Wakefield to Conway along the Maine border (always a pleasure), and then skirted all of the Conway traffic by zipping up the Westside road to Bartlett. A short stop at the top of Cathedral Ledge for the view confirmed that I still have no stomach for heights. As Jack said, he doesn't mind the heights, it's the edge of the heights that gets to him.

Rode down through Bear Notch and after passing a single car at the very beginning we had the entire 9 miles of twists and turns to ourselves, literally from end to end. What a pleasure to roll that road at 50 mph without needing to slow down once!

Took "the Kank" all the way from Passaconaway (south end of Bear Notch road) to Bath, over near the VT border, and traffic was extremely light except for right in the village of Lincoln, where we stopped for a quick slice at Enzo's (used to be Elvio's) Pizza.

From Bath, we took French Pond Road, and Brushwood Road, both of which are nice "no line" rural roads, down to Rte 25 (aka Mount Moosilauke Highway) east to Plymouth. Jumped onto Rte 3A south, passed Newfound Lake, to Franklin, where we took Rte 127 south back to the more populated areas of greater Concord (Hopkinton).

All of the afternoon's roads had been recently paved, and traffic was very light, and the constables all gave us fair warning all day by leaving their radars running. Temps were in the 70's to low 80's, dry and sunny. What a great day to burn a couple of tanks of gas.

Our little day ride loop took us almost 10 hours to cover only 288 miles of back roads, plus Jack had the pleasure of an hour and a half / 75 miles of interstate slab getting up here and back home.

Here's Captain Jack taking in the spring time view from the turnout on the west side of the Kancamagus Pass. We had the entire place to ourselves. Jack is 73 years young.

IMG_0963.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
RayW wrote: "I am a VERY lucky man."
Yes sir you are Ray. Your original post brought a tear of happiness to my eyes. Wishing you two the absolute best!!
Thanks!

Both of us had some lessons to learn before we could be together, but I like to think that time just helps us appreciate each other more. Even her folks and I get along really well. Her dad says he's never seen her as happy as she is with me. And that's the way it SHOULD be. ;-)

Oh...and about her dad.... The day after his 79th birthday he got on his Goldwing and rode it from Northern Ohio to Atlanta to visit us. I wanna be like HIM when I grow up!!!

Too hot to ride downstairs.
Go upstairs.

DSCN0864_zpso4jlgmy7.jpg

90 on the valley floor this morning in Tucson on its way to a toastie 99, so took a ride up Mt. Lemon.

Got a nice 20 degree drop in temps at the top.
Good strategy Karl. Griff and I used the same thoughts last Sunday.

October 2015

I'm about 5000 miles into the trip of a lifetime. Over the past 12 days, the bucket that holds "The List" has been significantly lightened, thanks to what can only be described as nirvana. I'm wandering western Colorado today, and every curve reveals a new mental postcard that burns itself into my brain. It's sensory overload, and if there really is a "Rocky Mountain High", then I've got it, and I'm hooked.

I've been by myself for a few days now, but the solitude is hardly lonely. Out here, one's mental aptitude is not restricted by walls or a ceiling. Here, with the unlimited depth of field, a man can think. Really think. He can think about where he has been, and where he wants to go. He can think about what is really important. He can think about the person he wants to be. He can give thanks to his God, realizing how truly blessed and lucky he is to be right there, right now. The experience warms my heart.

Just south of Buena Vista, Colorado. Mt. Princeton in her 14,196 foot glory. Just me, my bike, and paradise.

grand%20scheme231_zpsrbf9sc4n.jpg

Had a nice ramble up through south central PA today, some old favorites and a couple new (for me) roads. Saw this on Rt. 16 at Cove Gap, PA; thought about knocking on the door, but it didn't look like anyone was home...

DSC01163-0.JPG

Revenge of the Bugs. What happens when some pests decide to brave the high altitude and avenge the mass extermination of thousands of their brethren, while their executioner attempts to act tough and grins.

La Porte Rd, probably at peak altitude, just before beginning the switchbacks towards Quincy. Early June, but the wildflowers were still thriving up here - and perhaps also why the insects were as well.

Buckets full of fun chasing that easy smiling hooligan on his Katoom. I am convinced he airs the front tire with Helium, it seldom stays on the ground.

2016-06-05%2B18.21.13-1.JPG

Last night,
my wife was invited to an exhibition at the George Pompidou center for a cocktail, and an exhibition about the Beat generation. So towards the center of Paris.
reception was at the top of the monument.
Really a very nice evening

dsc_0911.jpg

Was feeling a bit cooped up and needed to get out. I figured why not combine three things I like, camping, fishing and riding the motorcycle. I threw the tent, fish pole and gear in the bike. Packed a bit of food for lunch, dinner, and breakfast for the following day. I knew it was July 4th weekend and I was heading out on a Sunday so most of the camp sites would be taken. I figured if I could not find a camp site that was suitable, I would just ride and enjoy the day, and maybe stop to fish a bit. I left the house about 10 AM after kissing the wife and getting a kitchen pass signed off.

I had absolutely no idea where I was headed....other than into the great outdoors. I started out heading up I-84 that would give me options, I could go above Ogden Utah, or up into the Uinta mountain range. While going up the canyon I decided on heading to Hwy 150 or Mirror Lake Highway. If you ever get a chance to ride this road while traversing Utah I would recommend it. It goes basically east of Park City (via Kamas Utah) to Evanston Wyoming, and it is scenic to say the least. While riding towards that I came to a junction on I-84 that would either take me to Evanston Wyoming or towards Kamas. I decided it would be fun to take the 'back way' on to Hwy 150 and start from Evanston. So the wind blew me east more.

Pulling into Evanston I thought I would top off with fuel, just in case the day turned to more riding. This is where the wind blew me farther off course. I saw a sign that said to Yellowstone and Teton National Parks.... mmmmmm. What the hell. I haven't camped overnight in Yellowstone yet this year. It would be a good ride, about 5 hours. Would be fun to take Hwy 89 up through Wyoming and Jackson Hole, and I do like the scenery in Teton NP. So the wind blew me to the north. I called the boss and informed her that the winds shifted again and I was heading north.

Nice ride on the side roads up to Jackson Hole Wyoming, in Jackson there were only about 6 million people. Traffic came to a crawl, and there were tourists everywhere. I did not care, I was on the move... scooted right on through to Teton NP. I was feeling good and only saw a slight darkening of the skies. This is where I should have cut my losses. The wind blew me into a storm.

In Teton NP I entered the park with my Pass and saw on a board that three or four of the campgrounds were still 'open', only a couple were full (I did not pay that close attention, just saw some were still open). Wow, I thought, maybe I will find ONE open camp spot in Yellowstone. I have had good luck in the past staying at Lewis Lake CG. It is on the southern road below the loop and I usually can ride up there and find one open site. I figured that I would find a spot, pitch the tent and then go purchase a one day fishing license, and just fish the shore of Lewis Lake.

The skies got darker. I went through a squall and then it passed to the east. As I got closer to Yellowstone, the skies were ominous indeed. As I pulled through the gate, I found this board:

IMG_3419_zpsnakydseo.jpg

My gambling here was as bad as it is in Vegas. I lost the crap shoot. Oh well, I would just make it a full day of riding and head back home. West Yellowstone Montana is about four and half hours away from my home. I could scoot through the park, hit West Yellowstone for some fuel and then zip home on the slab. I was here about four in the afternoon, so I thought with a couple of stops I could be home in time to kiss the wife goodnight. Off I went through the park. What I should have done was turn around and go camp in the Tetons. But I am not that smart.

The skies opened up about the time I rod past Lewis Lake. The temp fell to a nice 52. And I was treated with a few up close (too close for my comfort level) lightning strikes. I zipped the vents closed, turned on my heated grips and heated seat (have I told you that I am a wimp?) and pushed through. About the time I hit Old Faithful I could see some light pushing through the rain clouds, I knew it could not last forever. I hit a couple of buffalo jams and elk jams, because people can not pull OFF the road to take pictures, they have to stop IN the lane....another jam at Grand Prismatic Spring as the tourist season is in full bloom. I finally got to West Yellowstone none the worse for wear.

Grabbed some fuel and a Poweraid, and hit the road. Ran through Island Park, and into Idaho Falls with no issues, and dried out some. About Black Foot Idaho I had remembered that I had not eaten anything today. Suddenly I was hungry and decided to jump off the slab and torture my self with a guilty pleasure of mine at a choke and puke. As sickening as this may sound to some of you, we do not have any Jack in the Boxes within a hundred miles of where I live. And I like their grilled sour dough burger. (Sick bastard I know) I jumped off at Pocatello which is the closet one to my home at about 150 miles away, and choked one down for the road. Navigated the construction areas (who chips and seals an Interstate?) and pulled into my home at about 10:30 PM. Rode about 700 miles, in about 13 hours, saw a high temperature of 94 on the FJR and a low of about 52 (felt colder). Ended up touching Utah, Wyoming, Montana and Idaho, did not get to camp, and all the fish are still safe from me.

It was a longer day and ride than what I planned for at the outset, but overall was a good long day of riding, I got see a lot of pretty country that some only see on their desktops. And a couple of buffalo thrown in for good measure.

Happy Riding, B

Last edited by a moderator:
My son is in town until the beginning of September. He's moving from Bogota, Colombia, to Beirut, Lebanon, with his girlfriend. I took him on a three-hour ride along various waterfront areas in Seattle. Here's where we stopped for lunch in West Seattle. The photo is from the parking lot of the Marination Ma Kai restaurant. Great view from there.

Greg3WestSeattle.jpg
Greg3WestSeattle.jpg

Last edited: