The stock Air Box Funnel reduction surgery.....By WW

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This thread piqued my interest, so when I returned from my ride this afternoon I decided to have a look at the intake plenum. I had looked at the online parts fiche earlier, but couldn't see enough detail.

I too am sure the Yamaha CFD guys have modeled the hell out of the intake tract, but to my mind I can't see the need for 4 inches of intake horn. My air filter was only dirty on one end too.

So, I cut off two inches of the intake horn, and cleaned my K&N filter too. Will check the throttle body syncs next weekend and tune as required.

Feels good to hot rod my bike as I see fit and to give TWN the one digit salute!

Last edited by a moderator:
If a dirty 1/2 filter bugs you, blow it off an re-insert it 180. Good for another 10K. I pulled the primary plastic "air router" off and got some kool intake noise from my left knee but no performance gains, just like the 4-bbl mods we did on cars when kids. Varooommm

Mine already has pleanty of horsepower and the mod I'm looking for is how to keep my eyeballs from getting stuck in the back of my head.....got anything to calm this beast down? PM. <>< :D :lmaosmiley:

Isn't anyone concerned that this mod will void the warranty?

Should I start a new thread?

:rolleyes:

I doubt it will nix the warranty any more than installing a PCIII or aftermarket cans.

Still, I can't wait to see some dyno slips, but I ain't gonna hold my breath. ;)

I doubt it will nix the warranty any more than installing a PCIII or aftermarket cans.

Still, I can't wait to see some dyno slips, but I ain't gonna hold my breath. ;)
HEY 2WHEELNUT...

You been a naughty little boy spreading bad info out about our air boxes and the FJR's Barbarian mod tuning abilities!!! You still holden your breath? Whoever told you there is no power to be had within the FJR's air box was very very wrong!!! Or trying to keep a good secret....Hmmm...... How does 8 extra horse and 2 ft pounds of tourqe sound to you?? With just the barbarian mod and air box mods??? Cause I got it!! Stay tuned for the proof...My dyno sheet from todays fun on the dyno!!! Proof is in the pudding and I got it! BTW, I will be posting it in a thread shortly. Stay tuned !!!!

HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

WW

:clapping:

Wrong, air box breath. What I was relaying is that the air box mod alone won't do much as previously proven by a reliable source. You can whack that inner piece all you want, but you still have the same volume of air traveling through the same opening. I never said anything about the barbarian mod, so run that up your dyno and crunch it. ;)

You want me to believe, then run the bike stock, with the b-mod alone, with the hacked air box alone, then with both. Do it on the same dyno within minutes of each other, too.

BTW, even if you gain 8 HP, it's only 5% or so. Big whoop, you'll have me at the line by a tenth. :rolleyes: Edit: Oh, wait, no you won't! Your bike is still porkier than mine! :lol:

HEY 2WHEELNUT...

You been a naughty little boy spreading bad info out about our air boxes and the FJR's Barbarian mod tuning abilities!!! You still holden your breath? Whoever told you there is no power to be had within the FJR's air box was very very wrong!!! Or trying to keep a good secret....Hmmm...... How does 8 extra horse and 2 ft pounds of tourqe sound to you?? With just the barbarian mod and air box mods??? Cause I got it!! Stay tuned for the proof...My dyno sheet from todays fun on the dyno!!! Proof is in the pudding and I got it! BTW, I will be posting it in a thread shortly. Stay tuned !!!!

HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

WW

Sounds like approx 2mph more in the 1/4 mile.

Sounds like approx 2mph more in the 1/4 mile.
lennstang and I were unable to find that much in any airbox modification at New England Dragway. All manor of modifications were made including grafting on a second air intake that took up the space where the ABS unit would have been. All comparison runs were made using corrected times. Lenn and I tend to make all our runs +/- 0.1 sec and +/- 1 mph.

My experience may not be the same as someone else, but I found roughly zero performance gains in the air box and roughly zero gains with the CO adjustments. Now with the PCIII, I may have gained as much as 0.05 seconds and improved .25 mph! However, with the PCIII everyday rideability improved dramatically by reducing surging, improving throttle response and reduced abruptness.

I get a 6.4% increase (based on 125 RWHP), plus 2 ft lbs of torque.

I've spent many thousands of dollars looking for numbers like those.

I hope it's true, waiting for the dyno sheets.

I have to give WW points for looking in the right places first for horsepower. Way too many tuners look to exhaust first and never even consider that it all starts with intake on 4-stroke engine.

I also agree with TWN that careful and methodical dyno testing with stock versus modified airbox only, is the only way to prove there is any difference.

When I looked at the FJR airbox my thoughts were "Wow, what a terrible waste of airbox efficiency." and "Could they have managed to make more turns?". But when you look at the available space, take into consideration the noise and contaminant filtration requirements, it really is a good design.

As to demanding more horsepower from an FJR... To me that's like telling a naked Jennifer Anniston, "Put on this wig before I do you baby, because you are not yet perfect."

:)

HEY 2WHEELNUT...You been a naughty little boy spreading bad info out about our air boxes and the FJR's Barbarian mod tuning abilities!!! You still holden your breath? Whoever told you there is no power to be had within the FJR's air box was very very wrong!!! Or trying to keep a good secret....Hmmm...... How does 8 extra horse and 2 ft pounds of tourqe sound to you?? With just the barbarian mod and air box mods??? Cause I got it!! Stay tuned for the proof...My dyno sheet from todays fun on the dyno!!! Proof is in the pudding and I got it! BTW, I will be posting it in a thread shortly. Stay tuned !!!!

HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

WW

Well, 15 hours has passed and no dyno runs and no proof. Webby must be having some problems with his photoshop program. :help:

Ok all,

Here is my dyno sheet. I spent a lot of time figuring out what is the best recipe for power and torque on my 07 FJR1300A. Burnt the shit out of my F'N tire!!

The 130.2 HP/ 94.4 FT-LBS run was my baseline with my Remus Hexacone slip ons only, with muffler baffles out, stock CO levels, completely stock air box.

The 133 HP/ 95.6 FT-LBS run was with putting in my super duper surgery reduced funnel Air box cover everything else the same!!

The final tuned 138.2 HP/ 96.4 FT-LBS run was with the stock air box chopped and very modified and a lot more CO values tuned in!!!

And Yes, Yes, all you INTERNET tuners and doubting Toms ( :dribble: Twowheelnut :dribble: included here for sure!!).. I did 16 total runs and various levels of CO values, air box changes, baffles ins and baffles out. Burnt my tire up!! I am no novice to the dyno or tuning bikes and I found the sweet setup for the 07FJR1300A with only slip ons, the barbarian mod tuning and a very much customized BUT cheap air box set up!! My pocket book is empty but I love the results.

FJR1300DYNORuns.jpg

It should be noted.. The Boarhouse's dyno is notorious around these parts for reading lower than other guys around here (Hypersports, Silverback ect ect ect). When I rolled my FJR in, the owner and my very helpful dyno helper asked me what do the magazines usually say this bike has at the tire. I told them It is usually around 124 to 128 depending on the magazine and their dyno. They laughed and the my helper predicted 116 at the tire on this dyno. The owner said that he thought my slip ons looked pretty free flowing and he predicted 119. HaHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

More to come fellas. And Twowheelnut, I am sure you aren't gonna be interested in my recipe for HP!! You stand corrected!! DEAL WITH IT!!! :clapping:

Can I borrow some of your milk money before my wife finds out what I went and did?? Momma ain't gonna be happy!!

:yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo:

BTW, here is my link for my HP recipe thread:

https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php?showtopic=102302

WW

roughly zero gains with the CO adjustments.
It beats me how people "claim' that after doing the Barbarian Mod and increasing the CO2 level by +7 they get an increase in power.

The CO2 adjustment is pretty much an idle alteration so a smoother idle or transition may be smoother, but that's about it.

The instant the TPS detects a 1% increase in throttle movement all those adjustments go out the window.

Awesome numbers WW!

TWN sez, "You want me to believe, then run the bike stock, with the b-mod alone, with the hacked air box alone, then with both. Do it on the same dyno within minutes of each other, too. "

Then you say, "baseline with my Remus Hexacone slip ons with muffler baffles out"

Where are are charts that show stock air box rework and CO adjusted power improvements over strictly stock baseline?

Jeff Ashe says, "Way too many tuners look to exhaust first." But, seems that you did that first, then brought the other modifications into play.

So, if I take my stock ’04 FRJ and mill a bit off the air box and bump my CO seven points I’m going to gain as much as 19 hp? WaaHoo! Somebody tell Yamaha they really screwed up.

I really don't know why we couldn't find that kind of HP at New England Dragway when we tried the same thing (less the Hexacones) :search: I acknowledge you have the dyo slips. I'm not sure what they actually mean, in the empirical world I couldn't duplicate those same kinds of results.

Dawning on my Nomex Fire Suit.

WW. All I'm going to say is whatever you did to your airbox did not change the synch of your 1/2 cylinders at idle. Any restriction shows up way up in the rev range. Take care.

JC

Ok all,
Here is my dyno sheet. I spent a lot of time figuring out what is the best recipe for power and torque on my 07 FJR1300A. Burnt the shit out of my F'N tire!!

The 130.2 HP/ 94.4 FT-LBS run was my baseline with my Remus Hexacone slip ons only, with muffler baffles out, stock CO levels, completely stock air box.

The 133 HP/ 95.6 FT-LBS run was with putting in my super duper surgery reduced funnel Air box cover everything else the same!!

The final tuned 138.2 HP/ 96.4 FT-LBS run was with the stock air box chopped and very modified and a lot more CO values tuned in!!!

And Yes, Yes, all you INTERNET tuners and doubting Toms ( :dribble: Twowheelnut :dribble: included here for sure!!).. I did 16 total runs and various levels of CO values, air box changes, baffle ins and baffles out. Burnt my tire up!! I am no novice to the dyno or tuning bikes and I found the sweet setup for the 07FJR1300A with only slip ons, the barbarian mod tuning and a very much customized BUT cheap air box set up!! My pocket book is empty but I love the results.

FJR1300DYNORuns.jpg

It should be noted.. The Boarhouse's dyno is notorious around these parts for reading lower than other guys around here (Hypersports, Silverback ect ect ect). When I rolled my FJR in, the owner and my very helpful dyno helper asked me what do the magazines usually say this bike has at the tire. I told them It is usually around 124 to 128 depending on the magazine and their dyno. They laughed and the my helper predicted 116 at the tire on this dyno. The owner said that he thought my slip ons looked pretty free flowing and he predicted 119. HaHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

More to come fellas. And Twowheelnut, I am sure you aren't gonna be interested in my recipe for HP!! You stand corrected!! DEAL WITH IT!!! :clapping:

Can I borrow some of your milk money before my wife finds out what I went and did?? Momma ain't gonna be happy!!

:yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo:

BTW, here is my link for my HP recipe thread:

WW
Chart show approx. 10 lb. increase of torque at 4700 rpm. Pretty good usable increase! Did they snif the exhaust? Curious what the AFR was across the range.