The vast differences in Sport Touring Riders (Poll)

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What is your age range?

• 20-29

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • 30-39

Votes: 12 5.8%
  • 40-49

Votes: 51 24.8%
  • 50-59

Votes: 87 42.2%
  • 60-69

Votes: 46 22.3%
  • 70+

Votes: 9 4.4%

• Total voters

GeorgiaRoller

Exit Stage Left
Reaction score
I just thought it would be interesting to see how different we all might be, even though we all love the FJR for our own personal reasons.

Last edited by a moderator:
I needed checkboxes instead of radio buttons.
biggrin.png

My type of rider is largely determined by my location. I'd be a canyon carver if I had them nearby. Instead, to be a canyon carver I have to be a multistate kind of guy. But since I never have the time, I'm a commuter kind of guy.
sad.png

While a lot of my miles are commuting, I love traveling and since buying the FJR I've discovered rallying. I'll never be IBR material but a short weekend adventure is proving to be a lot of fun and even my wife is hooked.

I guess I'm a Jack Of All Trades. My primary riding is now commuting, but I do take trips, generally solo riding. Having a kid changes things. I've known I was on the low end of the ownership age as I bought mine when I was 26. I don't really get into the twisties very hard. Fun to do, but I'd rather have good sweeping curves. For me it is about enjoyment, not work.

While deciding on a sport-tourer, it did come down to aesthetics. I was pleasantly surprised by the C14, but I hate the look of the exhaust.

As many answers as you've provided for each question, I guess I don't quite fit into one...can you be a free spirit and an introvert at the same time? As I also OCD, I couldn't get myself to pull the trigger and say that I am "best" described as "..."

Is there a box for someone that likes to see the whole country AND canyon carve when the opportunity provides?

:D

Is there a box for someone that likes to see the whole country AND canyon carve when the opportunity provides?
biggrin.png
+1

I like long distance rides but not iron butt stuff just for the sake of it. And with a bike like the FJR, love the twisty stuff.

biggrin.png
+1

I like long distance rides but not iron butt stuff just for the sake of it. And with a bike like the FJR, love the twisty stuff.
Agreed

I don't feel I fit in the any of the "best describes you" categories.
Agreed here too - and having multiple bikes skews the categories as well. Specific to my FJR I'd have to say 75% of my time on the bike is long-distance, multi-state, 2-up touring with my son and taking the curviest roads I can find on the map to get there.

Doing 1K miles in 24 hours just to say I've done it isn't my kind of riding... not that there's anything wrong with that. Maybe I just got too old sometime over the past few years.

Jack of all Trades

----------------------------------------

What I personally like about the Sport Tourer is the versatility of it. It's basically three bikes in one.

Agreed here too - and having multiple bikes skews the categories as well. Specific to my FJR I'd have to say 75% of my time on the bike is long-distance, multi-state, 2-up touring with my son and taking the curviest roads I can find on the map to get there.
I'm not super detail oreinted, although I do make lists.

I always have a destination in mind, but I don't mind taking interesting detours.

I'm an introvert, but I like riding with groups.

Finally, I am very unconventional . . . and not a dude.
rolleyes.gif

I don't really fit into any of the categories, but I selected the ones which were a better fit than the others. I'm afraid that you could have hundreds of choices and still not have a good fit for each of us. FJR riders tend to be individuals and each of us is unique. That certainly would describe me. Or maybe the right word would be eccentric.
coolsmiley02.gif

I'm not super detail oreinted, although I do make lists.

I always have a destination in mind, but I don't mind taking interesting detours.

I'm an introvert, but I like riding with groups.

Finally, I am very unconventional . . . and not a dude.
rolleyes.gif
Ditto!!

I'm afraid that you could have hundreds of choices and still not have a good fit for each of us. FJR riders tend to be individuals and each of us is unique.
Thank you Geezer! That's what I was hoping would be appreciated here!

I think sometimes folks can get into their own little world, with their own entrenched perspectives and just converse with others that only mirror themselves and think everyone else outside their click is...well...stupid. Personal growth, acceptance, understanding & tolerance only happens when each of us gets outside of our comfort zone and appreciates others for what they bring to the table, no matter how different they may be from us.

Happy Holidays & ride on all you unique FJR riders!
punk.gif

If I may be so bold as to make a suggestion, I think what would show the differences better would be a diferently worded poll.

What percent of your miles are:

• IBA?
  • touring?
  • canyon carving/twisties?
  • commuting?
  • Riding two-up?
My answers would be:

• 0%
  • 25%
  • 50%
  • 25%
  • 0% (the wife has her own damn ride)