Thinking about lights

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Allnight

Lead cat herder
FJR Supporter
Reaction score
I'll be taking my first long-distance ride on the fjr next month, and am wondering about ading extra lights. I'll be driving from the San Francisco Bay Area to northern Idaho, a trip I've done many times in cages. Well, ok, pickup truck with camper in the back.

I know that with the truck's lights (F350 dually), I usually want more light. I presume the same will be true on the fjr, since I won't have an extra set of eyes or three looking out the windows.

I just ran across this: TrailTech HID and their lights page.

What I'm looking for opinions on is several points: I think I want extra lights, but would like to hear what others think or have done. Based on the chart on the lights page, I was wondering about doing the scmr16 spot on the left side of the faring and the scmr16 flood on the right.

Am I throwing money away? Ok, it *is* farkling after all. Are there better alternatives? $350 is steep, but I like the ballasts being in the enclosure.

Mike

I replaced my stock headlight bulbs with 55w HIDs from DDM Tuning . In my opinon, these are a must. Not only do they throw some serious light at night, but they are much more noticable durning the day. I paid in the neighborhood of $120 for them, but I see they are down to $80.

They are a bit of a pain to get in, but worth every penny.