Thinking of buying an FJR

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
C

ChrisG

Hello everyone, new member here thinking of buying an FJR. I need a bike that can replace my K100RT and all my reading and searching keeps me coming back to the FJR. I have only had a very short ride on one in a parking lot and liked it a lot. I am going to look at an 05 Friday with 1900 miles for 11k. Should I look for any potential issues with the bike? I have been told they can buzz on the road. I am considering all years so any input would be helpful. Also if anyone has any leads on an FJR in the VA, WV, NC, and PA area let me know I don't mind traveling for the right bike.

Thanks

Chris (future FJR owner)

Chris,

If you don't mind traveling there is an 06 for sale in the classified section of this forum, I think it's in Wisconsin and for $11,300.00. Good price and only 300 miles. Check it out.

I have an '05. 13k and counting. I don't know of any real issues that you should be aware of. Mine has been trouble free.

Can't really comment on the price, it varries so according to many things.

if you've been riding an RT, the buzz won't be an issue...

i bet you'll love it. mine just blows me away. awesome.

shu

Chris,If you don't mind traveling there is an 06 for sale in the classified section of this forum, I think it's in Wisconsin and for $11,300.00. Good price and only 300 miles. Check it out.

I emailed the owner this morning and found out he had a lot of response to the add already. Plus he is about 1000 miles from here. The ride home would be great but the time off work is a little hard to swing right now. Great price on it though.

I have an '05. 13k and counting. I don't know of any real issues that you should be aware of. Mine has been trouble free. Can't really comment on the price, it varries so according to many things.

That for the input. I have found prices can vary wildly from bike to bike. Also a lot of them have really low miles for there age which made me wonder if they weren't enjoyed by the owner. I plan on around 15k a year on the FJR so i have to be able to live with it right out of the box.

if you've been riding an RT, the buzz won't be an issue...
i bet you'll love it. mine just blows me away. awesome.

shu

The RT can be a buzz box sometimes, but it still gets the job done. Cruising at 100mph is no problem and it still pulls redline in top gear (140mph) although the tail tends to wag some at that speed. I absolutely can't wait to get an FJR and put that 22 year old beast up for sale.

I have been told they can buzz on the road.
If you don't stay up with the maintenance they will. You need to sync the throttle bodies and ensure engine bolts and steering is properly tightened. The FJR does have a very slight buzz in the bars but it is hardly noticeable with proper maintenance, some aftermarket grips (stock grips are thin), and good gloves.

If you don't stay up with the maintenance they will. You need to sync the throttle bodies and ensure engine bolts and steering is properly tightened. The FJR does have a very slight buzz in the bars but it is hardly noticeable with proper maintenance, some aftermarket grips (stock grips are thin), and good gloves.
Thanks for the tip!

I am going to look at an 05 Friday with 1900 miles for 11k. Should I look for any potential issues with the bike? Thanks

Chris (future FJR owner)

For that kind of money ( $11K ) I think I would just spring for a 2006 model. YamaMomma made a lot of subtle and not so subtle changes for the '06 model. They are several post on the differences. Do some searching the threads. You definately can't go wrong either way.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the tip!
....and don't forget the aftermarket weighted barends... ;) bling bling and smoother.

Not having ridden anything but an 06... with all the heat management fixes and no more tickers after 06 ( :blink: :blink: ) I wouldn't get anything but an 06. Especially given that high $$ job you have... :D

Having the '05 but having ridden the '06, I might just have to get the '06 myself.

... and no more tickers after 06 ...

That remains to be seen. :assassin:
True, but they've attempted to fix it. I'd rather take my chances on something they took a stab at fixing than buying a bike with a known problem. 2 problems if you count the heat issue. Why not have the latest, greatest Chris? Hopefully they did as well on the tick issue as they did on the heat one.

... and no more tickers after 06 ...

That remains to be seen. :assassin:
True, but they've attempted to fix it. I'd rather take my chances on something they took a stab at fixing than buying a bike with a known problem. 2 problems if you count the heat issue. Why not have the latest, greatest Chris? Hopefully they did as well on the tick issue as they did on the heat one.
I agree with the tick....but heat....wear your tall riding boots & volia....fixed....no heat issue....

Chris... Don't think. Try and buy. If you can't find one to try than ask kindly on this site to meet up with someone in your area and then get on your knees and beg (unless Odot, TWN, or Toecutter are coming to meet you.... I'd stay off my knees in that case). :p

Chris... Don't think. Try and buy. If you can't find one to try than ask kindly on this site to meet up with someone in your area and then get on your knees and beg (unless Odot, TWN, or Toecutter are coming to meet you.... I'd stay off my knees in that case). :p
+1.... :good:

I emailed the owner this morning and found out he had a lot of response to the add already. Plus he is about 1000 miles from here. The ride home would be great but the time off work is a little hard to swing right now. Great price on it though.
What? You don't get even 1 day a week off from work? You could use it to do your first Saddle Sore 1000!

What? You don't get even 1 day a week off from work? You could use it to do your first Saddle Sore 1000!

True, i could fly out Friday night and be back by Sunday but the bike is probably gone by now. I am going to start looking for an 06.