Third lock for 2022 FJR?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Orygun_Man

Reaction score
Picked up a new 2022 FJR1300ES yesterday.
Asked the sales person why was there only two keyed locks included(for the saddlebags) with the bike and not a third keyed lock (for the top box) included with the bike as was with my 2015 FJR. He told me 2022 Top Boxes now come with a lock that all you have to do is insert your existing key and the tumblers would adjust positioning to accept that key and then the lock would be set to accept only that key going forward. Didn't seem right to me. Anybody with or without a 2022 FJR hear of this?

Thanks everyone for the input. I did check under the seat and side panels but no luck finding it. The plastic bag I received with the two locks I did get was open so it probably fell out. Good to know any way that I should have received a third. I'll head back to the dealer tomorrow to see what can be done. Thanks again.

Part number 5P5-28406-01-00, 2 keys, 3 locks. I think others have discovered a locksmith can cut keys that will work in the ignition and the case locks, so you dont end up with 2 sets of keys.
-Steve

Part number 5P5-28406-01-00, 2 keys, 3 locks. I think others have discovered a locksmith can cut keys that will work in the ignition and the case locks, so you dont end up with 2 sets of keys.
-Steve
It is also a fairly simple matter to change "wafers" in the locks to match the existing ignition key. That way you don't need a two-sided key.

Just bought a new FJR in New Hampshire USA 1 month ago. It had 3 lock kits in a plastic bag under the seat. (2 for the backorderd panniers and 1 for the optional top box) I did note that the plastic bag was not sealed so suspect perhaps your third lock might have fallen out?
Same here with new 2022, 3 locks in a plastic bag under the seat.

Steve and Ross-Thanks for the info on rekeying a lock. I will look at that if all else fails.

MFoster-Thanks for that info. Reaffirms what I thought that I should have got a third key.

Thanks again everyone

Asked the sales person why was there only two keyed locks included(for the saddlebags) with the bike and not a third keyed lock (for the top box) included with the bike as was with my 2015 FJR. He told me 2022 Top Boxes now come with a lock that all you have to do is insert your existing key and the tumblers would adjust positioning to accept that key and then the lock would be set to accept only that key going forward. Didn't seem right to me. Anybody with or without a 2022 FJR hear of this?
Good to know. I’m picking my 2022 FJR up in Indianapolis on Wed June 29. They told me I would have three locks when I got the side hard cases. I ordered the Yamaha top case. I will check under the seat just in case something is there. I do have an extra set of 07 side cases if I get desperate. I would have to be REALLY desperate. Ha!

Attachments

• 6B68B311-2E91-4725-A6E9-EEFCFF2C9676.jpeg
    6B68B311-2E91-4725-A6E9-EEFCFF2C9676.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 11
Good to know. I’m picking my 2022 FJR up in Indianapolis on Wed June 29. They told me I would have three locks when I got the side hard cases. I ordered the Yamaha top case. I will check under the seat just in case something is there. I do have an extra set of 07 side cases if I get desperate. I would have to be REALLY desperate. Ha!
The three locks come with the bike, not the bags. They need to, to match the ignition key. Side cases and top-box are supplied without locks.

Turns out the dealership wasn't able to find my third lock so they provided me with three more locks with a separate key thinking both bags and top box would be on the same key and ignition would be a different key. Not the best outcome but at least I have an extra. Now to work on trying to match one of those locks to my ignition key.

The three locks come with the bike, not the bags. They need to, to match the ignition key. Side cases and top-box are supplied without locks.
Well that makes perfect sense.
Turns out the dealership wasn't able to find my third lock so they provided me with three more locks with a separate key thinking both bags and top box would be on the same key and ignition would be a different key. Not the best outcome but at least I have an extra. Now to work on trying to match one of those locks to my ignition key.
Well that is a bummer! After our conversation here I'm really curious what is going to happen w/ that on Wed when I get the bike. I will for sure let you know what happens. Hopefully I can figure out how to navigate back to you. Newby problems!

Just an update. Picked up my new 2022 FJR two days. Ago. No luggage. But it did come w/ 3 locks. Two for the side cases and one for the top box.

Latest posts