Three Bond 1514 - WTF

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nikk

Reaction score
Just checked my valves (they are OK) and replacing my valve cover gasket on my 2006. Yamaha shop manual recommends the following:

Three Bond 1514 between the valve cover and gasket.

Three Bond 1215 between the gasket lobes (the half moon shape protrusions) and the cylinder head.

Per mother-yamaha "Yamabond 4" = "Three Bond 1215"

I can't figure out what Three Bond 1514 is?

@kamal, is it "three bond T1541" or is that a yamaha part number?
yb.jpg

I just did my valve check and didn't use anything on the gasket. I also haven't run it yet
rolleyes.gif

I think what is needed is a gasket adhesive to hold the damn thing in place for the install.

I'm just not sure what to use.

You can use any O2 sensor safe gasket sealant to stick the gaskets to the underside of the valve cover. Stick 'em on the cover and then leave it to cure before putting it back onto the engine.

I have never used any sealant of any kind on the underside of the gasket, even at the half moon shapes that the FSM says to put it, and I've never had even a hint of an oil leak. The oil is just splashed around on top of the head, not under any high pressure.

By sticking the gaskets to the cover you will be able able to remove and reinstall the same gasket many times. I've had mine off and on 3 times now for valve checks/adjusts. Just be sure that everything is properly lined up on the ends (especially those half moons) before you tighten down the cover so you don't mangle or distort the gasket.

Last edited by a moderator:
@Fred W, It doesn't look like there was much "gasket maker" (Yamabond 4) on the gasket lobes to cylinder head interface. I could see where a very small speck had hardened on the inside of the head. So, I think if any is used it is only a very thin film.

I'm still not sure what to use on the top-side of the gasket. I think I need what Permatex calls a gasket sealant or gasket dressing like one of these:?

Permatex® PermaShield™ Fuel Resistant Gasket Dressing & Flange Sealant

Permatex® Ultra Rubber Gasket Sealant & Dressing
Permatex® High Tack™ Gasket Sealant

OR, is Yamabond 5 the chemical to use between the cover and the gasket? The packages says "adhesive" and the description says "easy peeling" which sounds a lot like what I cleaned out of the gasket trough on the bottom of the cover.

So many chemicals, so much confusion.

Any thoughts on just using the "Yamabond 4" to seal the gasket to the camshaft/valve cover?

In general what is the best applicatino method. The stuff comes in a large tube and the channel in the cover is relatively narrow. Don't think I want to squeeze the tube into the channel, maybe a short bristle shop brush. Followed by a thorough cleaning of the surrounding area.

Any thoughts on just using the "Yamabond 4" to seal the gasket to the camshaft/valve cover?
In general what is the best applicatino method. The stuff comes in a large tube and the channel in the cover is relatively narrow. Don't think I want to squeeze the tube into the channel, maybe a short bristle shop brush. Followed by a thorough cleaning of the surrounding area.
Should work just fine. Clean the cam cover to remove oily residue, then apply a thin layer (you're not icing a cake!) of sealant to the cover and attach the gasket, check all round the cover with a decent flashlight before tightening. Reassemble, run with the tank propped up to check for leaks, go plow snow.

Al.

Having just done the valve check on my 26k mile '08, I found that using high tac on the gasket to cover and ultrablack silicone on the gasket to head is the way to go. As mentioned previously, make sure any silicone or adhesive is oxygen sensor safe. A tip not mentioned is that when doing a valve cover gasket using silicone only, lightly tighten the bolts after putting the cover in place. A few hours later you come back and fully tighten. This prevents the silicone from being squeezed out and prevents the silicone from acting as a lubricant for the gasket to slide out.

The FJR gasket is held in place nicely and bonding it to the valve cover helps keep it there. The staggered tightening sequence was a real help on older car valve cover gaskets where the gaskets tended to slide more and where you didn't want to glue the gasket to the cover.

Another tip is when you are fighting some of the hoses and such as you position the FJR valve cover back on the head. A small inspection mirror can be used to make sure the gasket and half-moons are properly positioned before tightening.

Thanks everyone! I've decided I'll go with some type of Permatex sealant/adhesive on the cover interface and Yamabond 4 on the lobes.

However, in the interest of closing this "1514" mystery I contacted Three Bond. I did get a response from Three Bond, They agree that "Yamabond 4" is an equivalent substitute for "Three Bond 1215"; but had no idea what "Three Bond 1514" is!

So, I think I'll try calling Yamaha today and see what they say.

What Fred said. It's not sealing anything, that's what the gasket is doing. The reason for the bonding agent is to keep the gasket from moving when you install the cam cover. A dab in the show places, or less, is all you need. Don't spooge it all over the gasket. It makes a mess and is very time consuming to clean off when you need to replace the gasket down the road.

I had a lame mechanic crimp my valve cover gasket, then deny it when it leaked all over, then when it came apart to be fixed, it was found that he had crimped it, then pulled if off and covered the entire gasket in Yamabond and tried to stick it back on instead of getting a new gasket. I never did get my money back from that shop and had to pay another shop to fix it in the end due to a time crunch.

Any O2 safe RTV will work fine. I have done this on other valve covers for decades. Usually just a dab at sharp corners where the gasket might move or come out during install.

So, in the end Three Bond never responded to what "Three Bond 1541" is or its equivalent.

I called Yamaha Customer Service and after about 20 minutes, they told me to use a high tack Permatex sealant. I asked if there was a Yamabond equivalent but they couldn't identify one.

Here is a pic from my FSM, showing the recommended gunk.

2013-02-09_15-42-52_311.jpg