Throttle Lash

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gshymanski

Reaction score
I read through a few topics on throttle lash or throttle snatch. Interesting that most conversations start and finish between 2006-2008. I have a 2007 and have only just started to experience this issue in the last riding season. Abrupt throttle-on at lower speeds. Very disconcerting if there is gravel on the pavement or at lean mid-turn.

Any recent conversations around this? Any current solutions. Does the G2 work? Can it be installed with factory heated grips? What can you say about chocolate covered manholes

I read through a few topics on throttle lash or throttle snatch. Interesting that most conversations start and finish between 2006-2008. I have a 2007 and have only just started to experience this issue in the last riding season. Abrupt throttle-on at lower speeds. Very disconcerting if there is gravel on the pavement or at lean mid-turn.
Any recent conversations around this? Any current solutions. Does the G2 work? Can it be installed with factory heated grips? What can you say about chocolate covered manholes
I have an 06' and the G2 did help. It's not perfect but it is better. I also went with a PC5 that helped a bit more but not as much as the G2 I thought. I had heated grips as well and in the process of installing the G2 I destroyed the heated grip. Others have said it is possible to get the grip off but I had no such luck. They don't use temporary glue, they use permanent glue. I tried everything I could think of to get it off, including some WD-40 and moving very slowly with a flat head screwdriver, as well as an air compressor with an air gun on the end. I finally slid off the stock plastic throttle tube with the grip still attached and broke it into pieces with pliers. After all that the heater would not work. Thought I would just buy the throttle side heated grip but found out you can't. They don't even sell both grips as a set, you have to buy the entire OEM kit ($400.00). Others have mentioned that they modified their factory throttle tube to simulate the G2 but I can't tell you how. Maybe someone else will chime in. Hope this helps. I would think, at best, you have a 50/50 chance of breaking your heated grip.

I did the G2 throttle mod to Bugman's 2006 after he low-sided on some gravel on Mt. Hamilton. That worked pretty good, but I wonder if it's possible to actually change the throttle cam to one of the more recent models to fix the problem?

Has anyone ever changed the throttle cam, or is the issue in the fuel map?

I have an 06' and the G2 did help. It's not perfect but it is better. I also went with a PC5 that helped a bit more but not as much as the G2 I thought. I had heated grips as well and in the process of installing the G2 I destroyed the heated grip. Others have said it is possible to get the grip off but I had no such luck. They don't use temporary glue, they use permanent glue. I tried everything I could think of to get it off, including some WD-40 and moving very slowly with a flat head screwdriver, as well as an air compressor with an air gun on the end. I finally slid off the stock plastic throttle tube with the grip still attached and broke it into pieces with pliers. After all that the heater would not work. Thought I would just buy the throttle side heated grip but found out you can't. They don't even sell both grips as a set, you have to buy the entire OEM kit ($400.00). Others have mentioned that they modified their factory throttle tube to simulate the G2 but I can't tell you how. Maybe someone else will chime in. Hope this helps. I would think, at best, you have a 50/50 chance of breaking your heated grip.
Thanks for your experience on the heated grips. I was afraid to hear something of the kind...

I'll be interested to hear other comments about cam modifications or ECU change out.

I notice the DL's on your signature. Had a 2005 650 before this bike. If I had a second bike, it would be a DL. Torque to climb a tree and just a whole lotta fun.

On my 2006 I did the following:

1. Barabarian CO2 mod. When adjusted enough to soften the lurch, it bogged a high RPM. Set it back to stock.
  2. Throttle spring unwind helped a little; I could now dial in "just a wee bit" of throttle. And my hand didn't cramp as much.
  3. G2: This helped a little too. But not enough.
  4. PC3: This helped A LOT! In fact, it helped enough that I could keep the bike. The lurch is still there but I only notice it when I get back on the FJR after riding the SV, then I get used to it again. I still bitch about it though; if I lived in a place with a lot of corners where the FJR's other positives (weather protection and slabbin' ergo's) weren't appreciated I'd have another bike be now. See, there I go bitchin' again.
Interestingly, after I added the PC3 the missus (on her SV behind me) stopped complaining that I couldn't keep a steady speed on the highway.

If I were to do it again I'd do the unwind and get a PC5+wideband O2 sensor, then decide if a G2 were necessary.

I bought a cheap 30 or 40 dollar kit and installed it on my 2007. Worked just fine. There should be a lot of information on connecting these to a Heat Troller or maybe you can use your factory controls. A lot cheaper than $400.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have an 07 and added a G2 throttle tamer plus a PCIII at the same time (can't tell you which addressed the issue more). This took care of nearly all the snatch and lurch (I'd say 90 percent). It is a different bike. I can ease the clutch out without throttle to start out and turn tight corners without clutching. I'm very happy! I don't have heated grips on my 07, so can't comment on that aspect.

I did modify the throttle tube cam profile of my '06 (same as the '07). Not a perfect solution, but some improvement.

(Click on image for larger view)

A few pictures showing how I went about it here.

Most important, take out as much of the throttle cable backlash as you can.

I installed a G2 throttle tube on my 2007 last year shortly after I bought my bike.

Once installed, I also removed all cable slack via the adjustment on the cable a few inches from the handlebar.

I find a very noticeable improvement in slow speed throttle response. To me, this was a definitely a worthwhile modification.

At the time, I did not have heated grips so I didn't have to deal with the OEM heaters that you have. Since then, I purchased an OEM heated grip controller and installed Symtec under grip heaters along with ProGrip 698XL grips (135mm length, same as stock).

If this is something that just started last year I would hazard to guess its your TPS........My 2003 had the TPS recall years ago so I thought it was fine......however, just last year the symptoms of throttle abruptness began intermittently. Felt like someone was flicking the kill switch on and off at cruising speed (20-30% throttle) became worse this year to the point it would constantly stall at take off and was basically unridable cruising. Only did it when the bike warmed up (5-10 min)., Finally caught the erratic numbers when checking the TPS under the diagnostic setting. Replaced it........$220 in Canada....ouch. Runs like a new machine now. Clearly this is an expensive wear and tear item. Thankfully the symptoms begin slowly.........

If this is something that just started last year I would hazard to guess its your TPS........My 2003 had the TPS recall years ago so I thought it was fine......however, just last year the symptoms of throttle abruptness began intermittently. Felt like someone was flicking the kill switch on and off at cruising speed (20-30% throttle) became worse this year to the point it would constantly stall at take off and was basically unridable cruising. Only did it when the bike warmed up (5-10 min)., Finally caught the erratic numbers when checking the TPS under the diagnostic setting. Replaced it........$220 in Canada....ouch. Runs like a new machine now. Clearly this is an expensive wear and tear item. Thankfully the symptoms begin slowly.........
The 2006-2007 models have a throttle snatch problem and loads of slack in the throttle cable. It is unlike anything you and I have in the Gen I bikes, and it was fixed for the 2008 model year. The G2 throttle tube has a cam that eases the throttle into acceleration. Without any mods, the 06 07 bikes were prone to having the rear tire pass the front and leave you sitting on your ass, and it has nothing to do with the TPS. You have to drive one to appreciate it.

I did the throttle unwind, the G2 and a PCV with FuelMoto's map. Vastly improved. I don't have any issues starting off or cruising, but I do hate the fuel cut on decel while in lower gears in the twisties (can't be fixed without an ECU reflash of some kind).

I removed the OEM heated grips with a thin screwdriver to break the glue, then compressed air and they slid off without too much difficulty. WD40 might help. Put them back on with a thin stripe or two of high temp RTV, got them mostly on then finished it with compressed air. The key is not to stretch the grips too far to break the wires inside.

I have done nothing to my throttle and don't have any issues. I guess I am just used to it. Granted, every once in a while it reminds me it's there!

On my '07, I did the throttle spring unwind mod and then adjusted out the slack on the throttle cable via the adjuster just below the grip. Occasionally, I get a lurch, but after having owned the bike for a few years and ridden it for 10's of thousands of miles, smooth throttle application is kinda ingrained now.

I rode my 06 for 4 years/50k miles, and must have gotten used to the throttle...never really had an issue. But I did end up putting the G2 throttle tube on several years ago (just because it was a great e-bay deal), it does make a difference.