Throttle Rocker

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I picked up a Throttle Rocker in a Honda shop on a trip to Texas. Seems to work OK while pounding the superslab. It gets in my way during day-to-day riding so I take it off.

For me, I'd say the jury is still out...

Use it all the time. The main benefit I like is being able to let my fingers relax while my palm maintains speed with Throttle Rocker. Get one & give it some time. The majority seem to like it in addition to some type of a throttle lock.

Had one; took it off; gave it away. Works ok when adjusted "just right", but if it slips just a teensy bit (technical term, there), my palm/arm was in an odd/unnatural position. I got a VistaCruise and am much happier with that.

Added one this winter and have ridden with it only a couple times, but weather should be getting better soon and bike is mostly back together from winter upgrades, etc. Like it so far, though I'm also installing a Vista Cruise in the next week or so. Takes a little bit to get used to it being there, but I would't say that it gets in the way.

I have the velcro one. It really saves me from major wrist pain when riding the super slab. I take it off for the twisties where I need fine throttle control.

Had one for years, loved it.

It disappeared while F Jr. was in the shop for some certain valve work.

I really notice the heavy throttle spring a lot more now.

I'll be buying another one.

I guess that's the best endorsement anyone can give.

I've had them on both the left grip and throttle grip (left grip is just for looks--looks kind of bizarre to me with one only on the throttle grip side) of my '04 FJR for a couple years and love it. It does take some getting used to and could be scarey in the tight twisty stuff if you aren't used to it (a VERY slight movement of the hand can cause a major throttle movement), but I leave it on all the time. Once you get used to it, it's great for relaxing the hand as you ride. However I positioned the throttle rocker differently than recommended in the instructions. The instructions talk about positioning it so it makes contact with the lower palm area of your hand. I found that moving it higher up to where it contacts the base of my thumb works much better for throttle control and also allows me to relax my hand easier as I ride. I don't see a need for throttle locks or other throttle mods, the throttle rocker is all I need. Works great for me. I have them on my GSXR sportbike also.

Lee in the Mountains of Northern California

I have one and I like it for moving your hand and fingers around while still in motion. If it is not adjusted correctly you can get sharp accleration at the wrong time. ie... low speed going around a corner.

If I lost mine or it got stolen I would get another one.

I've had them on both the left grip and throttle grip (left grip is just for looks--looks kind of bizarre to me with one only on the throttle grip side) of my '04 FJR for a couple years and love it. It does take some getting used to and could be scarey in the tight twisty stuff if you aren't used to it (a VERY slight movement of the hand can cause a major throttle movement), but I leave it on all the time. Once you get used to it, it's great for relaxing the hand as you ride. However I positioned the throttle rocker differently than recommended in the instructions. The instructions talk about positioning it so it makes contact with the lower palm area of your hand. I found that moving it higher up to where it contacts the base of my thumb works much better for throttle control and also allows me to relax my hand easier as I ride. I don't see a need for throttle locks or other throttle mods, the throttle rocker is all I need. Works great for me. I have them on my GSXR sportbike also.Lee in the Mountains of Northern California
I absolutely agree with Lee- give yourself time to get used to it and you'll find you won't want to go without it! And for only around $10, why not try it?

Once I got used to mine I will not ride without it. Even did a SS1K with it. It REALLY saved my hand then.

Tom

As always, great info here, thanks.

I wanted to try the TR before vista cruise for a few reasons...with heavy throttle spings it seems best to install the TR which provides additional leverage rather than a vista which I have heard adds drag/friction....both are low $, TR lowest...both are easy to install, TR easiest...

Most of all I want to be comfortable leaving a finger or two on the front brake lever when trolling thru traffic, I think the TR might help best here...

agree with biker jazz.

I have a Vista Cruise, but tried a buddies. He had the velcro one. OK on the highway, just ok.

Twisties sucked with the thing on.

I like my Vista Cruise, there when you need it, not obstructive when you don't.

My $.02

I have the TR type that clamps with presure no velcro. I can rotate it down out of the way when in town or in the twisties. It works ok for the price you can't beat it for a little relief. I did install a Vista Cruise so I could totally relax my hand for a second or two while on the super slabs. Have not got to use it on long trips yet, but I think it will be better than the TR. Just my cent and a half.

Kevin Hinricksen

Las Vegas NV

Have had my velcro version for about 18 months (20K miles). Got mine about 2 months after getting my '05 FJR. I did the throttle spring fix as well which was a huge improvement but still felt the need to relax the throttle hand/wrist. Tried riding without the rocker and now I feel naked without it. Took a bit to get used to it in the twisties but feels natural now. On multi day rides I check the position before starting out for the day and adjust if needed (on ocassion it slips downward slightly). I'd get another if this one disappeared.

I have the velcro fastening Throttle Rockers also. I had a tad of downward slippage at first, but in addition to using the thin 1/2 inch wide rubber band (that comes with the TR) under the TR before fastening it tight, I wrapped a quarter inch wide rubber band (the kind you see in the veggie department of grocery stores to fasten plastic bags) over the top of the first rubber band, then tightened the velcro fastener. Voila, the additional bulk and adhesion eliminated the slippage problem. I rarely need to adjust the TR.

I normally ride all the time with two fingers on the clutch lever and two fingers on the brake lever and the TR makes it easy and comfortable to ride this way. Once you get used to it, it's great even in the twisty stuff. Don't let anyone ride your bike, however, who isn't used to the TR, take it off first. Until you get used to it, it's easy to grab an unexpected handful of throttle, particularly in a tight turn, and scare the crap out of the rider.

Lee in the Mountains of Northern California