Throttle Spring Danger

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I know what your thinking. Did you unwind it one revolution or five ? Well, to tell you the truth in all this excitement , I've lost track myself. But being as this is a FJR 1300, with the most powerful throttle return spring in the world, and would blow your wrist clean off,you got to ask yourself one question : Do you feel lucky ? Well... do ya PUNK ? :agent:

I know what your thinking. Did you unwind it one revolution or five ? Well, to tell you the truth in all this excitement , I've lost track myself. But being as this is a FJR 1300, with the most powerful throttle return spring in the world, and would blow your wrist clean off,you got to ask yourself one question : Do you feel lucky ? Well... do ya PUNK ? :agent:
:lol2:

I mistakenly released the left TB return spring instead of the center spring. I completely removed it because it was hanging loose, not caught on the tab. I did it in order to avoid the possiblitiy of the situation described. I should have released the center spring one turn so that it catches back on the tab {duh} and all would have been OK. Releasing and removing one of the side springs had little effect. I'd like to re install the left spring that I removed and release the center spring one turn instead. However, it appears to be a mofo to get back on. Has anyone done this and is it?
Use a piece of wire with a small loop in it, route it around the shaft and get it hooked on the spring end, then pull it around and attach the spring. Not a biggie. For what it's worth, over 23,000 miles with the center spring hanging, and I have yet to have any issue.
The wire has been completely removed. I would have to buy a new return spring and install it from scratch.
I made the same mistake and then completely removed the spring to avoid any chance of it binding the throttle. I destroyed the spring in the process of removal. Installing a new spring looks to be WAY too involved and it has hardly effected throttle effort at all. I just got used to it that way. Mine is an AE.

I'm surprised there are two of us that made such a dumb mistake.

Apparently Yamaha has fixed something throttle related in the 08 models. I don't know if it's throttle spring or a throttle tube redesign, or both. I'd love to see what it is so we can just take the financial hit, buy the parts, and get this done the correct and safe way. I did modify the plastic stock tube so the throttle isn't as abrupt as it was on my AE, and I did the single turn on the center spring. But the thing that bothers me is the plain fact I've heard of at least two people who have had their throttle sticking on them. I personally don't know what caused this problem, until we know for sure (and we'll never really know) we can't blame those who have had this problem. I had even tried the throttle cramp buster, I just can't get used to the feeling of having something between my hand and the throttle. I also believe this to be a good idea and I'm glad this works for some, it just doesn't for me. Sure the mods I've made on my bike seem to work alright and feel safe, even with the one wrap taken off of the spring I get a nice throttle return. but like I said, I'd love to see what changes Yamaha made on the 08 models.

I'm sure with the cost of parts for these bikes we'll all need to take out a bank loan to buy them if we want to have a nice gradual less aggressive throttle response (especially on the AE models) And MaMa Yamaha might feel sorry for those who purchased the 06 and 07's and do a re-call? (I'm not holding my breath).