Throttle Tamer?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not me. I own a 1st gen. But lot's of folks have these direct from G2. Search on "G2 throttle sleeve".

It's one of the most popular farkles for second gen FJRs.

I put a G2 throttle tube on my `08. Throttle abruptness is somewhat reduced, but not cured completely in my experience.
I have one as well, and like the puppy says, it helps a little, but wrist control still plays the biggest part!

I bought mine at Bike Effects just before my South West trip and it helped greatly. The herky jerky slow corners are gone now. My throttle is just fine with the G2, throttle rocker and grip puppies. I'm much smoother on tight twisty roads now.

Like vroompuppy and fjrrider, I installed a G2 throttle tube and found it helped, but only somewhat. :( For me (and a WHOLE bunch of others), the addition of a PCIII smoothened out my throttle completely ! :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Last edited by a moderator:
Many have. I installed G2, adjusted the throttle cable slack, and released one turn on the throttle spring, all helping to make a huge difference.

Installed one on my 07 and carefully adjusted the cable slack (which I also did on the stock throttle tube). Made a big difference and I'm very happy.

I installed the G2. It helped. I then installed grip puppies and rode for the last 8 months with them on. I had noticed it was harder to be smooth on the throttle. I just put on a set of BMW Sport Touring Grips and wow that seemed to be the final piece of the puzzle for me. The Grip Puppies made it more comfortable, but the larger diameter seemed to make it touchy again. For me the G2/BMW Grips seemed to be the best combo I have found.

Does anyone know if the version of the G2 Throttle Tamer that Dennis Kirk is selling for $65.99 for the FJR (DK P/N 1904270, Manufacturer Part #: 4799 ) has a Delrin insert?

https://www.denniskirk.com/jsp/product_cata...p?skuId=1904270

06320411.jpg

My G2 does not have the derlin insert. I think the derlin insert would be a big improvement. I still have a problem with the jerkiness. I may look into a PCIII.

You cannot solve, or in my opinion, even mask the problem caused by the lean mapping of the stock EFI system by fitting a G2 throttle tamer. That is not to say there isn't a benefit to the G2, just that the problem it is designed to fix is a separate problem from the fuel map. I have a PC III and it definitely does fix, with the proper map, the lean stumble and surge at small throttle openings. It doesn't solve the overly sensitive throttle although you can mask it a little by making the mixture overly rich but to fix these two separate problems you need to address both root causes.

Still wondering about whether the G2 tube from DK has Delrin or not.

I still have a few G2's in stock without the Delrin inserts at $59.95. The only ones being made now have the inserts and are $20.00 more.

G2 at Bike Effects

Don't forget the forum discount to members here. See link below.

I installed the G2 on my 06, and it did make it easier to modulate the throttle, gaining some smoothness in the process.

I have "adjusted" the throttle slack two or three times (using the barrel nut located up near the hand grip), and thought I had it just the way I wanted it... only to have slack appear again then next time I rode the bike.

Here's my stupid question: Do you have to have the bike warmed up/off the fast idle setting to accurately adjust the slack? If my memory hasn't failed me completely, now that I think about it, I think I tried to set it with the bike cold. Would that make a difference?

Confuzed in Spokane :huh:

I have the Grip Puppies (over the stock grips) and the G2 on my '06 - both have made throttle control at small openings much more precise and even possible! The G2 is definitely the must get for the '06 to help make it easy to control.

Have not bothered with the cable slack - there's a bit but it is easy to compensate for.

There is still a bit of surge /lean conditions that I can detect but not enough of an issue for me to do something about.

Cheers!

Taking out the cable slack and adding the latest G2 made my 07 perform much better. Mine had a 1/4 turn of play in it, the dealers set up was sloppy. They also had the idle set just below 1K. I don't have any surging or stumble even with the slip ons and a stock ecu.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have the G2 throttle tube and grip puppies on my '07, which both helped off-idle control; however, neither helped any more than adjusting the cable slack and taking one round off of the return spring.

If I was starting over, I would install the BMW grips, adjust cable slack and take one turn off of the return spring before dropping $60+ on the throttle tube. If you're not happy with the first three mods, spend the G2 money on a PC III.

OBD