Tick

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mech 1 twa

Reaction score
Finished WILBERS install today. Went for short test ride everything good. Came back and put tools away. Started bike to put away and its ticking loud. WTF never heard that before.

Just turned 11k. Revd. it a little noise gone.

05 bike. Never made a sound till today. WTF.

I know about guide problems, just never heard it before today. I must have a TICKER. MAYBE

I'll change oil on Monday and see if it happens again.

twa.....as in trans world? Mech....as in aircraft mech? 1...as in numero uno? Do you use amsoil, too?

Hey there mech., no one should be surprised anymore...pissed off for sure, but not surprised. Tickers are surfacing all over the place as they age...much more wide spread than anyone wants to acknowledge. The FJR is a great mount...too bad the engine is defective...good luck with yours! :assasin:

Something is amiss here. I was under the impression that if it was a 'ticker' it would be even louder when reved. If I read your post correctly, the noise disappeared when reved. I ain't no rocket scientist, but this doesn't sound difinative yet.

I have had vehicles to do that. (not bikes, mind you) The oil was low.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oil was full before I left, only went 30 miles. Warmed up engine before no noise. Ran it pretty hard but not to rev. limiter.

Parked it about 30 mins. and when restarted was ticking loud. Reved. it 2 times got quiet again. Temps. low 40's so it cooled fast. Haven't started today, its 30 miles away at my garage. Yeah it sucks, only secure place I can keep it. Brothers house.

Oil was changed before winter. Only a few 100 miles since then. Run it about once a week all winter. I'll change oil Monday and try to dupicate noise.

IMO the tick thing is way overated. if you have a ticker (mine was one of the real early ones) yamaha will fix it. you will probably find that is a better runing bike than new. mine was. then ride the shit out of it and quit worrying about a tick. shit happens.

Well, not sure how much time you have with the bike but there is normal ticking type of noise that comes from the fuel injectors and it is more prevalent at lower RPMs.

Yep, the first vehicle I had with TB's kinda freaked me out. I thought the engine was ticking.

The noise I heard was loud tapping-rapping sound. Sounded like a car with bad hydralic lifters.

Started it today no noise, nothing. Changed oil and put 70 miles on. Ran it hard at times, no noise. Let it cool, and restarted no noise. I don't know. All is good today. :p :p :p