tinfoil rattle...is it bad?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

artistonFJR

Reaction score
Hey all,

I have a noise (actually, my bike has a noise) that sounds like a "spoon in a glass" that is vibrating, or a strip of tinfoil rattling in a breeze... (only way to accurately describe it...) and it's noticeable at lower rpms while the bike's in motion...(It might be there at higher and faster but the sound is too weak to be heard over my screaming, or the police sirens) it's a little annoying, but elicits some concern. Only 750 miles on the bike (three week waiting list to get the bike in for its 600-mile-deflowering checkup!! Damned thing will have thousand or more miles by then...) The noise comes from upfront... (no, there is no loose change in my glove box...) everything superficial seems tight.

I have read tons of the "fjr specific" threads trying to determine if the noise I am hearing on my 07 is the same thing many of you have been talking about, problem is I'm new to the "club" and don't know what a "ticker" is... Is this a "ticker"? Any other ideas?

Thanks,

Chris

I seriously doubt that what you are hearing is the valve guide issue... aka, the dreaded tick. There are absolutely no confirmed cases of gen 2 bikes... but it sounds like you might have some sort of problem. & also, I'm not an expert. You might visit that dealer sooner than later.

In the mean time for your listening pleasure, please listen to this audio file: This is what valve guide wear on an FJR sounds like

This is slapnpop's bike... it ticks like a big dog... & my bike sounds almost identical.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey all,
I have a noise (actually, my bike has a noise) that sounds like a "spoon in a glass" that is vibrating, or a strip of tinfoil rattling in a breeze... (only way to accurately describe it...) and it's noticeable at lower rpms while the bike's in motion...(It might be there at higher and faster but the sound is too weak to be heard over my screaming, or the police sirens) it's a little annoying, but elicits some concern. Only 750 miles on the bike (three week waiting list to get the bike in for its 600-mile-deflowering checkup!! Damned thing will have thousand or more miles by then...) The noise comes from upfront... (no, there is no loose change in my glove box...) everything superficial seems tight.

I have read tons of the "fjr specific" threads trying to determine if the noise I am hearing on my 07 is the same thing many of you have been talking about, problem is I'm new to the "club" and don't know what a "ticker" is... Is this a "ticker"? Any other ideas?

Thanks,

Chris

Chris, there's no way you have a ticker, so put that thought from your mind.

Your description of "spoon in a glass" , noticeable at slow speeds, makes me think that you might be hearing the large washer that sits underneath the triple-T main bolt - that big sucker that's right between your handlebars. I don't know if you have a 36MM socket - but you might just want to grab that sucker with your fingers, and see if it's tight.

Failing that, I would start at the front of the bike - specifically the front forks, and start checking every nut and bolt - that noise could also be from a loose brake caliper bolt?

Just SWAG-ing it - but I'd check for tightness on everything. Let's face it - just maybe the set up monkey that did your bike missed something?

Chris, there's no way you have a ticker, so put that thought from your mind.

Your description of "spoon in a glass" , noticeable at slow speeds, makes me think that you might be hearing the large washer that sits underneath the triple-T main bolt - that big sucker that's right between your handlebars. I don't know if you have a 36MM socket - but you might just want to grab that sucker with your fingers, and see if it's tight.

Failing that, I would start at the front of the bike - specifically the front forks, and start checking every nut and bolt - that noise could also be from a loose brake caliper bolt?

Just SWAG-ing it - but I'd check for tightness on everything. Let's face it - just maybe the set up monkey that did your bike missed something?
Yeah what he said. I don't know what it is, but it shouldn't be making a noise like that. Unless you installed your tinfoil farkle wrong??? :dntknw:

Yeeeeessssssss! That's what I wanted to hear... Slim or no chance it's the "dreaded ticker"! rock on! (I will, however, seek Yama-advice at soonest!)

As for the bolt-monkey missing one, ...tis possible. I'll donn my tyvek suit at lunch, put the hair in a ponytail, pull on the respirator, nitryl gloves, welding goggles, a condom, swig some Gatorade, turn on some Jimmy Buffet, and go see about that possibly loose washer. ( I hate loose washers) Beats going for a run in the hills in 101 degree weather! (which is my usual lunch activity...)

Wife and I are looking fwd to the Park City get together!

Thanks for the feedback

C

The FJR mystery rattle...this topic comes up every so often.

When I first got my '05, I could hear a "rattle" at certain speeds. At first, I thought it was something flapping on my helmet. Then, I thought it was the keys in the ignition. Then, I thought it was something loose in the right mirror. Finally, I decided it was wind noise in the fairing. But, never did really find that sucker. Now, if it's still there, I don't notice it. In actuality, it could have been the marbles in my head being released from acceleration forces.

But I did do all the loose fitting/washer/bolt checks.

Good luck finding your rattle. If you identify it, pls post up.

Hey all,

Thanks,

Chris

I have a noise on my 07 as well. It bothered me for some time. I thought it was in the fairing under the windshield and took the front end apart looking for it. I could hear it on rough roads at slow speeds. As it turns out, it was the front brake pads vibrating from the rough road. I figured it out one day when I noticed the the noise stopped when the brake was applied. I checked the pads later with the bike parked and found the pads very loose in the calipers.

RD

I also had a minor rattle on front of my 07. I found that the plastic "W" on the front of the windshield was a bit loose. Best of luck.

Last edited by a moderator:
Bring it over to my house and we can have a beer and think about it............. (have your wife drive you home in the car tho)