Tire Changing Tools

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KSFJR

Reaction score
I am looking at getting a tire changing tool to obviously change my own. I am looking at the Coats 220 Motorcycle Tire Changer for about $820 and the Harbor Freight for around $100.

Anybody have experience with either model and comments on it. The Harbor Freight is quite a bit cheaper but if the Coats is significantly easier to use and potentially less destructive on the wheels, the price may be worth it.

Thanks

Chester

Chester, send me a pm with your phone #. I just bought a tire changer, and it is great. It smokes the cotes 220. And it is about half the price. There web site is not totally ready yet. And I was going to post some pic's of it. They asked me to wait till next weekend. The greatest thing about it, there is no metal to touch or scratch your wheels... I have a Harbor freight changer if your interested in it. It works, but you get what you pay for...I will send you a pm with my phone # if you want to call me...

Last edited by a moderator:
I got the Harbor Freight unit and used it two weekends ago. It was my first time changing M/C tires and it works perfectly. Didn't muck up the rims or anything. The hardest part about the HF unit was drilling holes in my cement floor for the anchors.

The HF unit, Marc's wheel balancer, irons and stick on weights cost little over 200 bucks.

Most folks have good luck with the HF changer, but you do need some way to securly anchor it. A lof of us have the Handy lifts which weigh a ton (almost literally) so we bolt it to a corner of the lift.

A friend of mine has the Coats. That thing is really nice, and a nice step up from the HF unit. But you've got to have room and it also needs anchoring.

- Mark

Here is a pic of the tire changer I was talking about. The guy who invented this Has done his homework. I did a dismount/mount the other day in 3 min. Thats from air out to air in and on my balance stand. I have done my own changing forever, so if you have never change a tire before it would take longer. But once you get the hang of it, it is fast. The nice thing about it, there is no metal to scratch your wheels.. Here is a pic, and a link. If you try to order and the shopping cart does not work, give Steve a call. They are still working on there site, and setting up payment charges ect.... It is just to cool, and I wish I would of thought of it...By the way, I don't work or sell for them, I ride with a group he and his better half belongs to...I just wanted to throw it out there, its a great machine..

tire changer

6nuofk.jpg