To Those Struggling with New Bike Syndrome - Twigg's Journey

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Twigg

Just an old, bald man!
Reaction score
I feel your pain.

That said, the decision for me is a little easier, because not only do I not have money in the bank, but circumstances have just robbed us of $1000 a month, so we are not likely to have the money any time soon. In some ways that makes life a bit easier. While I am free to admire the latest developments, marvel at the newly bestowed technical or comfort improvements and watch with interest as folk get to grips with a new motorcycle, none of those matters concern me in the slightest.

When you know up front that those options are not for you, a whole new world of opportunity opens up.

We are all subjected to an endless amount of pressure, some obvious and some rather more subtle, to be dis-satisfied with "yesterday's stuff", and persuade ourselves of the very real benefits of "something with a warranty". Or a new color, cruise control not stuck on 81 mph, instrumentation that has a gear indicator, or suspension that can be changed on a whim but rarely is. In a sense it is helpful to the entire community when someone, anyone, buys a new bike. They get the toy, we get the benefit of their tales, trials and tribulations, and the steady supply of machines is maintained all the way down the food chain.

I love motorcycling. Period. It's really that simple. There was a time when I was in a position to walk into any dealership and pay cash for most any bike they were selling. Do I regret that those days are gone? Of course a part of me does. Has it stopped me riding with as much pleasure as at any time in the last forty years? No, not a bit of it. When my circumstances changed I simply went back to my roots. No more new or newish bikes? No problem. I used to get my hands dirty and I could do it again.

Then came the "American Adventure". It took me a few years to settle into the red dirt of Oklahoma, but having done so I began to realize how vast and varied this country was, and the best way to see it was going to be the same way I saw much of the UK and Europe; from the seat of a motorcycle. However, when you are raising three kids who are reliant on food stamps that wasn't going to be easy. We dealt with the income situation, at least to the extent that we were not so reliant on others, and started to look around. My Step-children ("step", by the way, is a title without distinction), bought me a motorcycle for Father's Day. Here it is, as bought:

IMG_0873-L.jpg

It cost the kids (me) $200 and was more a home for Oklahoma wildlife than it was a vehicle. Nonetheless, here it is a few short months later completing my introduction to the Iron Butt Association, a SaddleSore 1000: (I took my (wet) gloves off for the pic)

IMG_0421-L.jpg

I could have made that journey quicker, with a good deal more comfort, on a Gold Wing or modern sports/tourer. I do understand the benefits, but I very much doubt that the sense of adventure, the feeling of accomplishment or the actual experience of taking a moldering heap of bits and pieces, and producing something that could carry me 1000 miles in under 24 hours could have been any better. Even if it could, I didn't know it at the time so it really doesn't matter.

Still, the taste for adventure had been born, and the XS750, as much blood, sweat and tears as it had consumed, was not going to cut it. I wanted to go further and yes, sometimes I wanted my wife to come too. Time to go shopping.

There have been times when I have decided on the bike I wanted and gone looking for one. The Honda VFR750 was a case in point, but this time I simple went to the local Craigslist to try to find something more suitable that I could, at least metaphorically, steal from its current owner. Well what actually happened is that I was mugged. Serves me right but I ended up paying $1400 for this, a 1986 Yamaha Venture Royal:

IMG_0465-L.jpg

This motorcycle was to become a very familiar sight to many in the LD Riding community, but for now it wouldn't even hold coolant and had to be started with a screwdriver across the solenoid. At least it started :D

I am going to show you one more photograph of this bike, simply because it carried me through 10 rallies, a Bun Burner Gold, and forty thousand miles of adventure. We always come back to that word, each journey being the the destination and every mile a memory. Folk like to beat up on Kansas, and why not? But this is Kansas, and this is motorcycling:

DSCN0364-L.jpg

With a bedroll and a bike .... with the sun setting and the road in front of you, what more could you really ask for, and would a shiny new toy make it any better?

After many trips the venerable old Venture was getting a bit too long in the tooth even for me. What is worse, I was finding myself pushing it too hard competing in events way above its ability. We had a couple of mishaps along the way, none of which involved falling off, but it was clear that the bike wanted a more comfortable life. It now has one, introducing my Brother and Sister-in-Law to the joys of two-up riding, and they love it.

Time to go shopping again.

This time the "shopping" came to me, and a whole new world suddenly opened up before me:

DSCN0081-L.jpg

I've made a few changes and competed in a rally since that photograph was taken, but you get the idea. When I bought the FJR it had already been loved for nearly ninety thousand miles. So my first thought was that it has already proven that it can cover the ground, that's a very good sign.

For those keeping score, at least in terms of capital investment, my total outlay on the three bikes is a net $600. Sure the on-going rebuild and maintenance costs are higher, although not as high as you might suspect, but you absorb those so gradually that they have little impact. I did include the cost of a new Russell seat in the above figure, because at $800 that was a capital investment for us. I got most of it back :D

By many standards, my mileage to date would be quite low. Mainly that is because I can't afford the gas, so I pick and choose what I enter and where I go. That said, I have put about five thousand miles on the FJR so far, and so far all has been well. A small part of me almost regrets that the bike was running when I bought it, because I don't feel that I know it nearly as intimately as I did the other two. I love the bike, and we will be fine together, but I haven't the "connection" that I developed with the two previous motorcycles, both of which needed a great deal of work to be safe and reliable. I'll get there with this one, but it will take a while.

There are so many aspects to this activity we all enjoy that suggesting that one approach is better than another would be facile. Yet we read so many articles and threads, hear so much general discussion on the latest this, shiniest that and most expensive "other", that I simple wanted to explore a counter-point. Each of us follows a path dictated by external influences and our own desires. If you want a 2015 Yamaha FJR, and you can afford it then wonderful. I will enjoy reading about it as you get to grips with it.

On the other hand, if you cannot change bikes next year, or if you are undecided, I would simply ask you this:

Do you feel that you have explored the bike you have thoroughly? Has it reached its potential when you need it to do more? Would a new machine give you more of what you enjoy, and you can say "Yes" to that even if the only thing you would feel better about is the color ... because we are all driven by different things, and each matters if only to us.

Meanwhile I hope my trusty '05 will be on the road a little more this year, so I'll see you, at a gas stop, bonus location or just waving as we pass, each going the other way, but both of us going somewhere and enjoying the journey.

Great personal essay about the journey. I really enjoyed you sharing that, and now my 2005 feels younger and under utilized. Hope to catch you on the road one of these days.

Nice post Twigg. Makes me feel a little better about my '07. Was thinking about swapping it for a nice new(ish) FJR but I think I will hang on to it and see if I can get 200,000 miles out of it (another 3 years or less). Maybe I will buy a gently used early Gen III at that time.

Nice post Twigg. Makes me feel a little better about my '07. Was thinking about swapping it for a nice new(ish) FJR but I think I will hang on to it and see if I can get 200,000 miles out of it (another 3 years or less). Maybe I will buy a gently used early Gen III at that time.
Motorcycle dealers hate me!

Right now they are hammering on the door and threatening to burn the house down if I don't buy a new bike

Ah well, at least it will be warm for a while :D

Shiny new bikes are fun for sure, but more fun is getting out an enjoying great rides with good friends. Your priorities are most awesome, Twigg.

Great stuff, Twigs

I would whole-heartedly agree. My 05's paid for and though things break once in a while (my latest dilemma is that the rear anti lock brakes arent working properly. But all in all, it's a great bike and there's no need or desire to replace it.

Gary

darksider erk

Last edited by a moderator:
Have to agree with you on this. Due to a shoulder injury, I've been riding my old '85 Madura almost exclusively, since it's the smallest, lightest machine I currently have on the road. And I've enjoyed it just as much as any of my others, as far as I'm concerned, it's the ride that counts, not necessarily what I'm riding.

Awesome post, Twigg. Nice to see a '78 XS 750 std put to good use. I bought one new, it was considered the bees knees then.

You sir, appear to be a master lemonade maker. When I feel the lust growing for a new '14 or '15 I go ride my Gen1. I always come back with a grin. It's easier to be happy when you want what you have
smile.png

You have my utmost respect for making those old bikes useful and practical. I have dreams of a "vintage" resto bike, but there is not room or finances for such a thing at this time. The fact that you were willing to work that hard to indulge your riding desires is very impressive.

I have truly been fighting a battle in my heart over the new '15 FJR ES. I already have a wonderful bike, my ST1300 has less than 50K miles and they are supposed to have even better longevity than the FJR. My ST has carried me everywhere I ever dreamed of going on a motorcycle. It has done so reliably, comfortably and efficiently.

I also feel a bit guilty over such an extravagant self indulgence. The motorcycle is actually the only selfish hobby I have. Buying a new bike when so many others are in financial difficulties makes me uneasy.

BUT!!! I have been working an extreme amount of overtime for almost a year. I have spent very little time with my family, I have paid off a few things, and I have done some things at the house that have made my wife very happy. My son is now old enough that day-care is no longer in the picture, he will be getting off the bus at home. This means I don't need to drive the truck so I can pick him up on my way home. Which means the motorcycle can/has become my primary transportation. I am now putting diesel in my GMC about once a month, the bike is getting all the miles.

I want that FJR. I have wanted it since it hit this country. I told my Dad back in '07 when I was shopping for his bike, "The ST1300 is the bike you need. The FJR is the bike you want." 7 years later, that has changed. The FJR is the bike I need and want. And I am going to buy it.

We were driving back from Dallas a couple of weeks ago, and my wife asked me "If money were no object, what bike would you buy?".

We tossed that around for a while, but it was a question there was no simple answer to.

In the end, I'd probably have two. I'd succumb, and buy either a BMW K1600 or a Gold Wing for two-up touring, and probably a new FJR that I could single-mindedly dedicate to, and prep for, LD Riding. Even then I'm torn, because a BMW GSA is a mighty attractive bike, and has better manners when there is a need to go off tarmac.

It's a problem I don't have, but it's nice to dream sometimes :)

We were driving back from Dallas a couple of weeks ago, and my wife asked me "If money were no object, what bike would you buy?".
Now that's a change of direction (and a fun topic)! Personally, my needs (wants) are simple. I'm happy with the current mount but realize that it, like me, is well past middle age. Eventually it will get replaced but since I wouldn't get anything for it because of the mileage in this market, I will almost certainly buy something used. For the main "mission", I don't see anything out there that speaks to me louder than the current generation of FJR. The BMW 1600 is very interesting but I don't think I would go there for a variety of reasons (other than cost). I don't have one, but an off-road-capable dual sport would be nice.

Good read and thought's, I have never owned a new vehicle of any kind till my son bought me the FJR for building him this;

DSCN0534_zps91497054.jpg

I was looking at used ST 1100's, and lusting for the FJR, my boy is a keeper as he didn't have to buy me the FJR!

The FJR now has 80,000 miles on it in a little more than seven years use. Those are mostly vacation miles as I don't use it for a commuter so mostly fun miles with good memory's!

I'm hoping I can put another 120,000 miles on it in the next seven years, by then I'll be seventy and who knows what life will bring me! I don't really think I'll ever be a good enough rider to get everything out of this FJR so having a new one really doesn't stand out as something I have to do as the old Black Cherry is still the best looking FRJ out there. I'll keep telling myself that and be happy.

Maybe finding a used GS or S-10 would fit in the picture as I have a couple of dates in the Arctic Circle that I would like to keep. To do that I'll have to sell the old Trident in my avatar and I haven't quite worked myself up to that yet as I have always had an old Triumph hanging around.

Be happy, go ride.

While I may miss my 2004 R1150RT, I still own my 1976 R75. It's not what you ride, it's that you ride. It'll be years and a lot of scratches before the FJR and I bond anywhere near as closely as I have with those two. This is the best thread I've read since joiining the forum.

Very well written Twigg.

I, myself recently test rode a very gently used 2014 FJR1300ES at a local dealership and gave very serious thought to trading in my '07. I love the new red color and the ES suspension and cruise control left me drooling like a teenage boy with the SI swimsuit issue. Dealer crunched the numbers and made what I must say was a fair trade in offer. I spent an entire weekend agonizing over the decision. Wife told me "it's your call". In the end, I decided to keep the '07. Largely it was some of the things my wife said to me that helped.

Would it improve my comfort? Are there any issues with the current bike that need addressed? What will they cost? Can I perform them myself? How many miles can I reasonably expect the '07 to cover without major investment? How many trips can we go on using the difference in cash outlay the '14 would cost?

As stated it's less important what I ride. It's important that I ride. Best of luck and I truly do hope to meet you on the road.