To YES or not to YES...that is the question

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Y.E.S. paid for a new dash cluster and repaired an oil leak at the drive shaft out of the engine twice. I would do it again if I bought a new one.

How many of the mentioned problems would have been taken care of

under the standard, one-year warranty?

Careful, think before you answer. The question isn't about when the

problem was corrected, but when it FIRST OCCURRED.

I went to the Yamaha demo day, took a test ride on a FJR, bought a new one the week after. Then 1 month later, I received a card from Yamaha saying "Thanks for coming to the demo day. If you buy one now, we'll give you 2 more years of YES for free". Since I already bought it, I called the dealer, gave him the code from the card and he entered it on his computer and updated my warranty to 3 years total.

I went to the Yamaha demo day, took a test ride on a FJR, bought a new one the week after. Then 1 month later, I received a card from Yamaha saying "Thanks for coming to the demo day. If you buy one now, we'll give you 2 more years of YES for free". Since I already bought it, I called the dealer, gave him the code from the card and he entered it on his computer and updated my warranty to 3 years total.
Nice! Its too bad I have never seen a Yamaha demo day within 200 miles of here.

I think 400 bucks is cheap for factory warranty extension. A hundie a year isn't much, one use will pay for it. I had it on my 07 and never used it, but felt pretty good about having it at the time.

I used the YES on my '07 three times. My $389 spent easily saved me $1500 or more in repair bills. To me it's a no brainer. After spending $2000+ in repairs on a previous bike I swore I'd never pass up the opportunity again. Glad I didn't.

Perfect example for the possible "need" for the Y.E.S........

A forum member, Kaelaria, recently took this 2014 ES into the dealer to have his instrument cluster repaired/replaced. Problem with one of the LCD screens. Had his '14 been out of warranty, $500 just for the cluster. And probably another $500 for the labor.

Is the Y.E.S. worth it? If the warranty is toast, so,too, could be your wallet.

Glad I bought the YES on my '07. Had a leaking timing chain cover on the right side. My rear caliper stripped when I tried to take it apart, and my POS adjustable panel on the right side broke and flew off the bike. Oh...and I got a new rear shock at 34000 miles. ALL covered by YES, and ALL way beyond the first year. Totally worth it, and when I buy a new one, I'll buy another YES.

As a matter of fact, with that free 2 year YES deal, we got like 6 years of YES warranty when we bought our Yamaha Jet Ski.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm also an "anti-extended warranty" person, but bought the YES for my 07. I only ended up with one covered dealer visit that didn't even add up to $389 and I only brought it there because of the YES (otherwise I would have just fixed it myself for even less $). So it wasn't worth it in hindsight. But my engine could have "Howied" and then I would have been really happy to have coverage. :)

But it is cheap insurance that can be really handy if you break down on the road. YES will cover towing to the nearest Yamaha dealer, which could be a long way if you break down in BF Egypt. YES will also cover your hotel room and meals while waiting for the bike to get fixed. This coverage was a big factor that pushed me to get YES.

For the FJR I did purchase the extended warranty just in case.

Anything else... fugetaboutit.
nono.gif

The reputation of Y.E.S. and the low cost of coverage was a significant factor in my deciding to purchase a new Yamaha. I came from a bike that was actually a bit better from a riding quality perspective, but maintenance, breakage, and lack of warranty and of shops to work on it got tiring. I don't buy extended warranties on anything normally, but the extended warranty was a big part of the deal for this high-mileage rider.

Last edited by a moderator:
Here's an obvious question I'm hoping someone can give me a quick and easy answer to: what's the deal with D&H? Where is it? My local dealer will sell me YES for $425. Might not be worth the hassle to shop that price.

The reason the insurance is (relatively) cheap... is because the chance of needing it is (relatively) low.

Here's an obvious question I'm hoping someone can give me a quick and easy answer to: what's the deal with D&H? Where is it? My local dealer will sell me YES for $425. Might not be worth the hassle to shop that price.
D&H is just another bike dealership in Culman, AL. Their main difference is they believe in taking a very small profit on anything they sell, and rely on higher volume to make the difference. If they do as well with their other bike models as they do with FJRs they would seem to be achieving that business plan just fine.

Not much hassle to getting YES coverage from them. Just call them and give a few details over the phone (VIN number, purchase date, etc.) and some means of payment and they send you the extended warranty coverage papers, which must be honored by any certified Yamaha dealership.

I plan on doing exactly that, a bit later in my first year of ownership.

The reason the insurance is (relatively) cheap... is because the chance of needing it is (relatively) low.
Yes, that is exactly how they can charge so little for so much coverage. But the reason it is attractive to the buyer is because the risk, albeit infrequent, can be extremely expensive. It really is a win-win, unlike most other warranty extensions.

However, most dealerships insist on trying to tack on up to 100% profit on that sale. Mine wanted over $500 for the 4 years coverage and did not even mention the 2 free years that I could have nabbed at the time.
angry01.gif

My windshield ext/retraction motor crapped out on me one month after the Factory warrantee expired. I have no idea what that cost to replace but, was tickled pink that it was $0 to me. :)