Too Much Bling?!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Warchild

Benevolent Dictator
Reaction score
I dunno, fellas..... this exhaust for the new R1's is very cool-looking, suppose to sound *completely* bad-ass (like a Formula 1 car), and I'm really interested in them, save for one aspect that is really giving me pause....

They only come in polished stainless steel. No other finish is offered. :(

Still, they are pretty damn trick-looking.... imagine how they would look on this Raven if they were black-aluminum (ala Holeshots):

FullSide_Lasers.jpg

The look is similar to the 4 "organ pipes" of the MV Agusta F1000....

Rear_Lasers.jpg

Ya gotta admit, they are very, VERY cool-looking.......

Side_Lasers.jpg

Close-up from the rear......

Rear_Lasers_closeup.jpg

So..... I dunno about these pipes.... while they clearly look totally-tits, I just don't now about the polished stainless steel against my R1's Shift Red paint.... know what I mean?

Whaddaya think, peeps..... should I go after them, or are they too blingy, or...?
shrug.gif

Nothing on one of WC's bikes ever looks gay-assed. You are probably one of the few straight guys I know who could get away with wearing pink leathers! Go for em - definitely not too much bling IMO. As your R1 is 'arrest-me red' anyway, what's a little more attention-getting farkling hurt? ;)

I think they would look great if they were satin black. Even on the black bike (pictured), they're kinda too much bling. With your red I think the black would be great also, but chrome might be too much, over the top.

Last edited by a moderator:
Let your conscience be your guide...

(But I'd probably go for it, looks schweet as in schwing!!)

With your red I think the black would be great also, but chrome might be too much, over the top.
I initially thought these pipes were chromed, but they are not, they are made out of surgical stainless steel, then polished to a high luster.

I suppose I could have them coated to a satin black.... hmmmmmm..... they are just simply awesome-looking, aren't they? B)

It's a tough call... they look great on the black bike... if you could only see them on a red bike before parting with your cash.

Normally, I make no comments about aesthetics which are up to the individual, but since you asked for opinions .... yep they look contrived and punk to my eyes. I don't care for the FJR's Blue Flame, the MV Augusta, and the new Triumph Sprint pipes either. If there is a single pipe going back there, then there should be a single muffler - anything else smacks of trying too hard and extra weight strictly for the look.

But if you like them, that's all that matters.

- Mark

Man…WC, those are “trick” and would look even better as you said with the black aluminum finish…a little more stealthy & even more bad-ass. I wonder if that is the bike I saw at a recent bike night in Milwaukee, WI? I noticed a small Wisconsin label in pic #2 if you look closely between the pipes.

Man…WC, those are “trick” and would look even better as you said with the black aluminum finish…a little more stealthy & even more bad-ass. I wonder if that is the bike I saw at a recent bike night in Milwaukee, WI? I noticed a small Wisconsin label in pic #2 if you look closely between the pipes.
That's what we call a license plate.

Nothing some pipe bras wouldn't take care of... ;)

I dunno. I'm thinking that bling against the red would be very gangsta - which is to say, way badass cool!

Well, if they are stainless steel then you could always take the shine off of them and have a 'flat' stainless finish. Personally, I would not change the pipes unless the replacements were lighter than the ones on there, but I'm more of a 'function over aesthetics' kind of guy.

I guess it would depend on the oil you're gonna use... Using Corn oil definetly calls for bling, so leave them as thay are; Canola oil may require a flat black powder coating with shinny red striping accents to match the bike. If using Coconut Oil, however, you must definelty have to give them a flat wire brush look.

No matter the oil/color combination, just get the pipes for the sound!!! That souldn't change with a change of color. ;)

From what I hear, those are heavier, and offer zero performance benefits.

BUT they give you a +30 1/3 on the poser-punk scale.

Go for the TiForce full titanium kit.

but chrome might be too much, over the top.
Ummmmm, we're talking a [SIZE=14pt]RED R1 [/SIZE]here, right?? They're an over the top, huz yer daddy kinda ride.

Too much is just right.

FNG :)

I think they look shit hot, and if they sound like they look, I'd have 'em in a NY minute. Nothing wrong with shiny bits amongst the drab, shiny exhaust is a motorcycling tradition, and I don't mean HD's either. Besides, you probably have some tubs of Mothers left over, and no better way to use 'em up.