Took 45 years but they finally let me in - the Crash Club

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ctfjr

Reaction score
So there I am, happily scooting home from work yesterday knowing my new Arai helmet has been delivered and is waiting for me :rolleyes:

I stop in traffic for a stop light (after checking my mirrors, no one behind me). I must have been sitting there anticipating my 1st new helmet in 15 years when BANG

I remember the bang, the sound of it, and the next thing I know I'm flat on my back on the road with some woman (who I can't see) standing over me apologizing for hitting me, saying she didn't see me. Before I know it there are several people trying to help, keeping me from moving. A woman with first aid knowledge is feeling my pulse, talking to me and trying to keep me awake. She asks me what happened. I tell here someone hit me. She tells me no, there is a witness that said I just dumped the bike. I am too out of it to argue with her.

Then the police show up. They ask me what happened. I tell them the same thing - someone hit me. The woman who was helping me tells them no, a witness saw me dump the bike. This time I tell the cop in no uncertain terms I was hit. He promises to find out.

Ambulance comes. On the board. To the emergency room. 5 hours of trauma tests including 2 cat scans, multiple xrays, ultrasound, blood tests, etc. Sometime during my 5 hours strapped to the board in a cervical collar the cop shows up with my papers. He tells me the woman behind me denied hitting me - until he ponted out the black paint on her bumper and white paint on the back of the fjr. Then she admitted it.

Bottom line - nothing serious. My back is sore as hell. The morphine, valium and percoset helped last night. Now I am on just percoset - great shit. I got to see the bike today. It looks like right exhaust, rear lights, right bag, slider, bar weight, etc I'm guessing $2K.

For a 15 year old helmet my Arai did fine. It took quite a whack to the pavement without damaging anything inside it :rolleyes:

The emts cut off my Cycleport jacket - the emergency room cut off my shirt. All in all a tough day for clothes.

I can wait another 45 years for the next accident.

how can someone be so stupid as to deny hitting you especially if there was damage? I mean what kind of a story is that, witness saw you sitting at the traffic light and then you fell over?

Anyway, glad you are okay, hope she ponies up some dough or that you have good insurance.

That's scary! Glad nothing is broken on you. The bike will buff out no doubt. People who lie like the driver did really get my blood boiling. Didn't see you? What the heck was she looking at that she didn't see you stopped at the light. And then later denying it to everyone. ARRG....

Again, glad you are just sore. You had a good run going for many years.

Damn.. wrong place, wrong time? Happy to hear you're (mostly) ok and that the officer did his job...

wow...now that story gives me the willys

glad it wasn't worse and I'm saying a prayer of thanx and another for good, understanding insurance on her part

you have full coverage including uninsured and underinsured ???

Glad you are relatively OK. Make sure you include all of your gear and clothes in the claim.

I wonder if the witness who said you just went down on your own was the same person who actually hit you. I can't see why anyone else who was there would have made that up. And how could she have not seen you? Cell phone? Other distraction?

Geezer, my thoughts exactly. She needs to be charged with making false statements, obstruction of justice, etc. Wow! Glad they caught the bitch, and glad you're not more seriously hurt. Prepare to do battle with the insurance companies, but be stalwart and, as Hank Stamper said in "Sometimes a Great Notion," "Don't give a inch."

Welcome to the club, even though you you really didn't "earn" it (i.e. do something stoooooopid :eek:mg2: to go down). It's a pretty crappy club to belong to. Glad to hear the damage to you and the bike wasn't worse.

Can't believe the driver AND the witnesses tried to pin it on you, and you had the presence of mind to stand your ground even flat on your back! :argue: Way to go! :thumbsup:

WOW! Glad you're OK. That sounds nasty.

Too bad people are so.... they lie for what? Instead of helping they CYA. Glad she got outed by the alert cop.

Last edited by a moderator:
Checking her cellphone records should be part of the accident investigation. If she was texting while she tried to kill you it should increase her liability. Call the prosecuting attorney (assuming there are charges).

Glad you are ok. Please don't give an inch when dealing with the driver that hit you. What a lying sack of poop. Make sure you write a nice letter to the cops boss for doing a good job investigating and not just listening to a questionable witness and putting the blame on you. Get well soon so you can expand your riding map to a map of the world.

really glad you're okay . . . or just sore that is. You made it longer than I did . . . I just got nailed by a cager this year resulting in my first crash at the 25 year mark. I didn't have a scratch on me and the driver's insurance paid for the bike which was $6100 and 9 %&*#$(@ weeks to fix. And they gave me $1000 for "pain & suffering" even without a trip to the doctor . . . mind you I didn't even get hurt.

Scratched Front fender, scratch in the right lower fairing, rear brake pedal, slider, two bags, rear brake caliper, 1 moto light, right mirror, lower coolant hose, = $5100 . . . and my initial thought was it would be about $3000.

Hope you get the Feej back on her feet soon.

Glad you are relatively ok. I hope your better soon and that your bike get's straightened out!

My bet is that she was on the damned cell phone! We have to outlaw talking on the phone and driving!
It IS outlawed here in Oregon, and I still see at least one driver everyday on my commute either talking on their cell or f'ing texting. I do understand while people still talk, especially when they get called rather then call out, and that's bad enough. But for the life of me I just don't get how people can think it's ok to text while driving.... For me that should be an immediate loss for good of the texter's license for recklessly endangering everybody else on the road.

Glad you are relatively ok. I hope your better soon and that your bike get's straightened out!

My bet is that she was on the damned cell phone! We have to outlaw talking on the phone and driving!
It IS outlawed here in Oregon, and I still see at least one driver everyday on my commute either talking on their cell or f'ing texting. I do understand while people still talk, especially when they get called rather then call out, and that's bad enough. But for the life of me I just don't get how people can think it's ok to text while driving.... For me that should be an immediate loss for good of the texter's license for recklessly endangering everybody else on the road.
It's illegal here in Cali too, but it's widely ignored.

Glad you're relatively ok. I hope that proves to be true and you suffer no lasting effects. The bike likely has a bit more damage than you think, but hopefully that will work out ok. The header may have damage after taking a hit to the rear like that.

The driver must have been doing something other than driving.

Years ago I had a woman hit me like that when I was stopped at a light. 6 cars in front of me and she never touched the brakes. Didn't see me!? She hit me at 45 mph. Thankfully, I was in a 4500 lb Mitsubishi Montero and not on the bike. I saw her coming, talking on the cell phone, and prepared for the impact since I couldn't move out of the way. My biggest concern after the impact was to find out if she had kids in the minivan. Thankfully not.