Took a flight today in a 1948 SNJ-5 Texan - very cool

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sportsguy, that's a nice collection of vintage aircraft on that field. I have a soft spot for the SNJ's. The school I attended getting my A&P licenses had a few of them donated by the US Navy. Thanks for the memories! :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I hope one day I can convince someone to let me sit in the co-pilot seat of a 2-seater plane if I promise not to touch anything. Haven't gotten a chance yet.

Excellent music choice too! Haven't heard that rendition of (I think) Bruce Springsteen yet - who sings that one?

The shutter speed on the camera messes with your head. Prop doesn't appear to be spinning very fast (backwards at times too! - YIKES!!!).

Charmed life Duane, very cool. Gotta love the sound of a round engine!
In person, it's amazing. That big blue PBJ we park next to...man, you gotta be near one of those sometime! So loud you cannot think! On video...it's too much of a racket...LOL

Glad you guys are enjoying the video.
smile.png

The band playing the music are called the Chromatics, out of Portland OR.

Last edited by a moderator:
I hope one day I can convince someone to let me sit in the co-pilot seat of a 2-seater plane if I promise not to touch anything. Haven't gotten a chance yet.
Most airports have pilot training and many offer discovery flights, and there are also many owners of historic aircraft that do "tourist" sight-seeing flights for a reasonable fee.

I was down at the Museum of Flight one day and the B-17 that they made Memphis Belle was sitting outside. Just as we got there they were walking the motors thru clearing the lower cylinders so I said lets just stand here for a bit and sure enough they fired her up and throttled all four up just a bit to clear the clean the plugs a bit then they throttled back and had all four just idling. Then they throttled up the outboard motors and what a sound that was after they ran the outboards they did the same with the inboards it was pretty cool. Everyone there was impressed.

I was down at the Museum of Flight one day and the B-17 that they made Memphis Belle was sitting outside. Just as we got there they were walking the motors thru clearing the lower cylinders so I said lets just stand here for a bit and sure enough they fired her up and throttled all four up just a bit to clear the clean the plugs a bit then they throttled back and had all four just idling. Then they throttled up the outboard motors and what a sound that was after they ran the outboards they did the same with the inboards it was pretty cool. Everyone there was impressed.
Just imagine a whole field of them throttling up with full loads to go carry out devastation somewhere. That must have been a hellish sound.

a

Just imagine a whole field of them throttling up with full loads to go carry out devastation somewhere. That must have been a hellish sound.
Another time my wife and son had been over in the little town of Arlington and on the way back we drove past the Arlington airport and we spotted Fifi a (B29) and a different B17 so we decided to stop & take a look. They were giving ride's for $300 a pop and they fired them both up and we watched them both taxi out and take off. As they taxied out we got sand blasted. Another cool day.

Yup. Stand behind one of those bird and get caught in the prop wash and you'll know it!

It's about the same price here to grab a ride in one of the birds. $249 is the entry point for the PT-19 trainer, with the T-5 a step up. Got a cool 1500 singles burning a hole in your wallet? Then step right up for 20 minutes in a P51 Mustang. :)

...and Fifi will be hear next month for the air show at the airport... :)

Yup. Stand behind one of those bird and get caught in the prop wash and you'll know it!
It's about the same price here to grab a ride in one of the birds. $249 is the entry point for the PT-19 trainer, with the T-5 a step up. Got a cool 1500 singles burning a hole in your wallet? Then step right up for 20 minutes in a P51 Mustang. :)

...and Fifi will be hear next month for the air show at the airport... :)
I've been inside Fifi, beautiful bird.

It's about the same price here to grab a ride in one of the birds. $249 is the entry point for the PT-19 trainer, with the T-5 a step up. Got a cool 1500 singles burning a hole in your wallet? Then step right up for 20 minutes in a P51 Mustang.
smile.png

...and Fifi will be hear next month for the air show at the airport...
smile.png
I've been inside Fifi, beautiful bird.
I went in the B-17, the men that flew them have my Deepest Respect!