Top Case Backrest

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cibrd0wn

Reaction score
I am curious as to the comfort of the stock top case backrest. I am getting my 06 blue beauty setup for the wife and wonder if it’s worth the cost or time as a diy project. Any recommendations would be great as her comfort is my main concern. Thanks

I remember it being about $100. It's pretty dense foam so it really doesn't 'soften' the backrest much, especially when you consider all the gear you wear anyway. It will move your passenger closer to you by about an inch.

I have a Givi case, so it's not exactly the same, but I find it works fine without a backrest. The backrest just forces the pillion further forward, and riding jackets already have pads in the back.

I have the backrest pad on mine, and never got a complaint. However, anyone who has been on the back has been wearing a motorcycle jacket with armor, typically including back protection -- i.e., it's probably softer than the trunk or the backrest anyway. The backrest pad does position her upper torso an inch or so forward, as noted above.

The best comfort accessory for any pillion taller than about 5'3" is a set of peg extenders, made even better if they're combined with a set of floorboards like Knifemaker (member here) has made and sold the last couple or three years.

Last edited by a moderator:
peg extensions and the back rest pad have made my SO very happy for many miles. The pad is not sink into a recliner soft, but it does offer support and has some cushion to it. the install is very easy with the provided hole jig.

cadman

Yeah peg extensions are going to be a must ordering some soon any recommendations on where to get them.

I'm thinking of just making my own backrest and putting the savings in to the peg extensions or another farkle.

What do you guys think?

I'm thinking of just making my own backrest and putting the savings in to the peg extensions or another farkle.What do you guys think?
That depends on your skill level, but for me (at least in comparison to the precise fitting molded Yamaha backrest or just leaving it without backrest), that would not be something I'd do. It might also reduce the resale value of the trunk if you decided to move it.

I bought the backrest along with a Givi 52 case on my 08 and my wife likes it better without the backrest so I never installed it.

I ordered a top case without the back rest to see how my wife likes it, if she wants the extra padding and be closer to me I can always add it on. Easier to add then to remove. :)

I have the Pirates Lair Stealth Backrest https://piratesk12site.net/YamahaStealth.htm and the Yamaha topcase with backrest. My wife and kids wear textile armored jackets with back protection. They do not notice a significant difference in comfort with the topcase backrest. If you hunt around, you will find some comments that it may force folks into an upright position, but my family never commented on it.

I have a Givi case, so it's not exactly the same, but I find it works fine without a backrest. The backrest just forces the pillion further forward, and riding jackets already have pads in the back.
Same here. My Givi had one and my wife says it's more comfortable without it.

Latest posts