Torque loss after service.

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not wanting to be considered a doofus among this august society, I'm taking advantage of Audiowise's most generous offer to help sort out my torque loss. Will be riding over early tomorrow to open this thing up and find what we all seem to agree is miss-timed cams. Will document, as well as possible, in hopes of convincing the fine folks in Prosser that they not only let it slip, but can't/won't recognize their error.

Better leave early; I don't think I'd be wanting to do that sort of work on a hot bike.

Will be looking forward to hearing how you make out. Best of luck.

Good luck to you two tomorrow Jim. I'd love to join in with the teardown tomorrow, but I have commitments morning and afternoon. Rotten [no pun intended] timing!

Hope the issue is as simple as mis-timed cams.

--G

Well, much as expected, both cams retarded one tooth. Also one exhaust valve with too little clearance. All is well now. Ride home was excellent. Took a video shot panning from the crank marker up to the cam markers. Hopefully that will be enough to convince the dealer that they had it wrong.

Can't thank Paul enough for his help. i'm sure I could have done it successfully, on my own, but it would have taken much longer and would have, no doubt, required much swearing.

On Tuesday you need to demand a refund for the shitty work they did. If they refuse, you need to contest the charge with your CC card company. NEVER go there again.AND, very glad you got it running right.
This is the same dealership that identified, documented, and supported the FJR community to help resolve and fix the "tickers". Everyone makes a mistake now and then, let's wait and see if they admit their mistake and are willing to make good on that mistake.

Then they shouldn't have any problem admitting their screw up and making it right with the customer. I'm pretty sure I said the same thing Steve said. If they admit their mistake, and refund his money, they'll have made it right. What else do you guys expect? Keep his money but apologize profusely?

I'm glad your ride home was uneventful and that the bike is now running properly.

20160903_110251_zpsk9fqjsix.jpg

Here is a photo of the cam timing at TDC on the Crank. You can see the yellow dot on the intake cam and the arrow on the exhaust cam; they are visibly quite off. Finding the exhaust valve that was a tight 0.006" (the bike was nice and cool at that point) was also a bit of a surprise.

The dealership gets an extra ding for taking a second look at the bike (and charging for it) and not finding this. I rode the bike, after 5000 RPM, there was no useful power.

Also, per your first post, NO VALVE ADJUSTMENT WAS NECESSARY... WTH??

Agreed, give them a chance to make it right or CONTEST THE CREDIT CARD CHARGE.

They apparently didn't check them, or at the very least, didn't find and adjust the one.

Question, did it appear ANYONE actually got to the valve cover and R&R'ed it? It should show

hand prints, dirt moved, cleaned, etc.?

I would give the dealer a chance to respond........ especially the tight valve clearance, but, it's not that hard to see where the timing went off.

IF the tech did not remove the right engine cover, he could not see the timing marks. Nor would he have zip tied the cam chain as WE all know how to do (it's not in the manual) during a CCT change. Unfortunately that inspection plug is there to tempt you to be lazy....... has been removed for GenIII.

Kudos to Paul and yourself for getting it all straight........ gotta love those PNW guys!

Last edited by a moderator:
Ah.....don't know if Ray can see it.....but now I can see it....and I sure couldn't without the circles. It would have helped if I had known what I was looking for.

Ha ha, I might be old, but I figured it out on the first pics... BTDT. Another way to look at it is rotate the cams until the marks do line up, then look at the crankshaft end. It will be off, and what's most likely happened is the chain dropped down while the CCT was out.......... if the tech didn't take the right side cover off, and zip tie, that's the risk one takes.... and without the cover off, he wouldn't have known the crank position relative to the cams.

On Tuesday you need to demand a refund for the shitty work they did. If they refuse, you need to contest the charge with your CC card company. NEVER go there again.AND, very glad you got it running right.
This is the same dealership that identified, documented, and supported the FJR community to help resolve and fix the "tickers". Everyone makes a mistake now and then, let's wait and see if they admit their mistake and are willing to make good on that mistake.
That was then...if they are a good shop still, they will do right. Otherwise I'm with AJ. Well done in 2005 does not forgive this in 2016.

Well, I'm am waiting, less and less patiently, to hear back from Dan Denchel, owner of DVPS.

I spoke with him Tuesday morning when I called for Mike the service manager, who was out.

Interestingly Dan was already aware that there was an issue as a friend of his had directed him to this thread.

He seemed accepting of the idea of some adjustment but wanted to gather more info.

We shall see....