• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to FJRForum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Total Control Advanced Riding Clinic

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

3dogs

Reaction score
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello, My name is Tracy Martin and I have an 05 FJR. I also teach an advanced riding skills class in Frederick Maryland. If anyone has questions about what is taught and how to sign up, please send me an email.

The “Total Control Advanced Riding Clinic” is now available in Arizona, New York, Chicago and in the Mid-Atlantic. The class is based on Lee Park’s best selling book “Total Control” currently the number two best selling motorcycle book in the country.

The Total Control Advanced Riding Clinic offers motorcyclists a safe way to improve their riding skills. The skills taught fill the gap between an MSF Experienced RiderCourse (ERC) and a typical track day. Cornering technique is the primary focus of the clinic and the individual skills taught include; throttle control, throttle/brake transitions, corner entry, line selection, body position and corner exit. This class will benefit motorcyclists who ride sport-touring, full-dress cruiser, standard or sport bike types of motorcycle. The ARC techniques vary slightly for each style of bike but all follow the same philosophical principals.

The range portion of the training takes place in a large parking lot where each of the riding exercises are individually explained, demonstrated by an instructor, and practiced by each student. Working on one skill at a time with constant instructor feedback creates the building blocks for consistent riding improvements. Each skill is built using small two-mph increments until the desired result is achieved. Typical corning speeds never exceed 25 mph, and while this may seem slow, it feels very fast while cornering around a 40-foot circle. All a student’s bad riding habits, and/or fears, will rear their ugly heads but can be addressed by an experienced instructor. This learning technique allows for high rider confidence and never gets too scary.

All students must provide their own bikes and have at least one year of riding experience. For students with less than two years of experience, it is advised (though not required) that they have completed an MSF, ERC. The cost for the eight-hour Total Control ARC is $295, which includes lunch and a workbook.

[For 2007 Discounts, see February 1, 2007 post. Other schools will vary in their pricing policies.

For more detailed information on class locations and dates go to www.leeparksdesign.com and click on “Advanced Riding Clinic.” For specific info regarding classes in Frederick MD, call Tracy at 410-905-1918.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm planning to do the November class in AZ. Thanks for showing up here and offering your services. :)

I'm signed up and ready to go for the September (Labor Day Weekend) Clinic in Gilbert AZ. Classes will be in the late afternoon and evening, no doubt to try to keep things cooler.

John

Tracy Martin, my neighbor and I are planning to attend the 24th of September class. We'll be riding up from Hendersonville, NC almost 500 miles away. We're wondering what local motel you might recommend staying at?

Jim

I'm waiting for Frederick Community College to send me my registration info before I can complete the sign up.

How will we enter the FJR Forum discount?

The college doesn't know anything and hasn't sent my my student package yet, so I can't register online. No one answers the phone numbers on the ARC web site, no one has called back after I leave messages.

I'm beginning to get the impression that maybe a more professional organization can run a better class and I should probably just shell out the money for something else.

Smthng, Sorry I haven't gotten back to you. I've been on the road. The college will send you confirmation for your regsitration. There is some questions regarding holding the class on OCT 8th as there is only 1 student sigend up. The college requries a minimum of 5 to hold a class. The class on Oct 15 is a go with 5 students.

You will have to pay the full price when you sign up with the college. The discount will be mailed to you after the class. Please call/email me if you have any questions about what is taught, registration or anything else. Thanks, Tracy...

410-905-1918

[email protected]

Thanks Tracy,

Sorry for getting snippy, I just hate it when I'm pressed for time and can't get anyone with some answers.

If I attend the class on the 8th, I will be bringing another FJR rider with me. If that class is cancelled and I go on the 15th instead, it would only be me (the other gentleman can't make that weekend).

Do you think we should go ahead and register for the 8th, or are you pretty sure it's not going to run and I should schedule for the 15th instead?

If the class of the 8th does end up being cancelled and my friend has already paid registration, is it refundable? He probably would not be able to make it any other time.

I'll post this to the forum and send to your email, just in case that makes it easier for you. Thanks.