Trading FJRs

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gurock

Reaction score
I'm currently riding a 2007 FJR AE with 45,000 miles on it. It has original suspension, Heli risers, highway pegs, and an RDL saddle. It's got a few scratches (low speed drops by PO) and a mostly worn back PR 4 with a half worn front tire. I saw a 2009 FJR AE with 9,500 miles on it that has a few scratches, and Delkovic slip on mufflers a Pelican top case, and with 70% good PR 4 tires. I think the dealer will move the Heli-riser and highway pegs onto the other bike for me and let me keep my RDL saddle for their stock saddle and I'd have to give them about $2,500.00 plus sales tax on the $2,500.00 about $150.00. I'm thinking that this is a good deal for me.

Keep in mind that I'm a pretty high mileage rider. The current AE had 20,000 miles a little over a year ago. So I'm good for 20,oo miles or a little more a year. Also I've already had 2006 FJR AEs a 2008 AE and now the 2007 AE. So I am very devoted to the AE. If they imported them I'd consider a new one.

Does this deal make sense?

If you want new(er) then go for it, but...

Sometimes better the devil you know!

Exhaust is only of value if you want it - does nothing otherwise.

45,000 miles vs 9,500 - not much different in reality. Still only 25% used up.

Couple hundred bucks worth of additional rubber.

Better fuelling on the '09 than on the '07.

ABS changed but not in any important way (as far as I am concerned). Pelican case and rack is worth something if that is what you want.

You are paying around half the book value for some improvements that may or may not be worth it. The big thing is that it is a newer AE and if you love the platform, I would go for it. Not like you will be able to run out and get a low mileage new one. Especially if you can transfer Russell and Heli.

Last edited by a moderator:
Having had an '08 AE, nothing wrong with you getting a fresher, the last of the model while it was still available over in the USA. If the money works and the mileage works, I equate it to trading newer with a truck, car, boat, etc.

Joe, I've given that advice to a lot of other riders. I know that it's generally good advice.

Ross, You're right that the changes from 07 to 09 were not that much. I think it has a little better heat management, maybe. I also know that if I buy a back tire, change the oil, replace a blown high beam and plugs, and do a valve check the 07 is probably good to go for the next season. I really don't know if the Pelican case has too much value to me. I've used Givi and Hepco & Backer, but never a Pelican. As much as anything, I figure that I'm paying for the 35,000 less miles on it. As far as the devil I know vs the devil I don't, I think I'm a little complacent because I've never ridden a bad FJR. I've had four and ridden a few that I din't own as well. I should know that doesn't mean that there aren't "bad" ones out there. Also the PO in a no or slow drop broke the mirror stay on mine. I know that mirror stay is an expensive and or time consuming repair. Also my 08 did have a noticeably better throttle then the 06s or the 07. You really put your finger on it at the end.

There is no bike that I've ever ridden or thought of that I love the way I love the AE. This love affair began when I weighed in at 315 lbs and at 6'0". In addition I have bad joints in my hips. I figured out that if I bought an AE (this was before I'd owned an FJR) that I could use the highway pegs, with the back of my right foot for the rear brake, and the paddle shift for riding in many normal conditions. Then I would use the regular pegs for twistee roads and or major traffic. This allowed a "fat guy" to ride a much more sport bike type bike. In the meantime I've gotten down to 210 lbs and this has made it so I mainly use the highway pegs for what god intended them to be used for, riding on the interstate. This is also maybe 200,000 miles down the road. For me at this time, the wonderful thing about the AE is the lack of a need to work the clutch. I've grown used to changing gears more then I ever would with a standard clutch especially on the very challenging roads that I do in southeast Kentucky a few times a month. Also at this point I have maybe 30 times more miles on an FJR AE then all bikes with manual clutches put together. I'm probably the first guy that should have signed the petition for Yamaha to bring the AE back to the USA. Also I'm 62 years old. I figure that I have maybe 5 to ten years of riding left. So I figure that an AE with 10,000 miles will get to 100,000 miles in four years or less. I figure that maybe by that time either Yamaha may bring an AE back to the USA or the DCT Goldwings that have been used, will be used and starting to get to a price I can look at without barfing, and that my body maybe more wanting a Goldwing by that time.

BTW, if I could not transfer the Heli, Russell and let's not forget the highway pegs so well designed by Gerald, I wouldn't consider the deal. For me the FJR becomes so much more pleasant with the Heli-bar riser especially. I have short arms (33" sleeve) and without the riser my arms, shoulders and back start to hate me on days that are 500 miles and more. The Russell I don't need to add comment about as so many here swear by Russell.

My $.02 is go for it.

You're getting incremental improvements to the platform and a overall newer machine. Upgrading two model years and 35,000 miles less for ~$2500 makes complete sense to me.

Good luck!

~G

If you want new(er) than go for it, but...Sometimes better the devil you know!
I'm going to go against the prevailing wind here and echo the statement above. If your present bike is running great, I'd stick with it. You don't know what problems may (or, sure, may not) be hiding in the '09. You do know that it's almost a decade old, and you know that someone chose to get rid of it...probably for a reason(s) that nothing to do with the perfomance/reliability of the bike itself -- but what if it did? Do you really want to gamble, just to lose a few miles on the odometer of this bike renowned for its longevity? I'd suggest the if-it-ain't-broke-don't-fix-it axiom fits well in this case, and recommend you stick with your current bike that presumably runs great and enjoy the feeling that you may -- may! -- have just dodged a bullet.

Lots of good advice here. I think that I'm going to go over to the Stealer on Saturday morning and look over the 09 very carefully. Also they do give a 90 day warranty on bikes less then ten years old. It' just that I'm so devoted to the AE.

The AE is an awesome machine. Believe me, I know exactly how you feel. Other FJR riders with a manual clutch have no idea what they're missing. Not having to pull a clutch lever countless times in stop and go traffic is really terrific. Once you're spoiled by an AE, it's almost impossible to go back to a manual clutch lever. The paddle shifter is simply a dream.

BTW, I'd keep the one you have. No real improvements worth talking about on the '09. Plus you already know what you have.

Last edited by a moderator:
Pittsburgh, thanks and I agree in general about riding an AE. BTW if I go ahead I think the Stealer will give me the grand total of $2,800.00 for my FJR, but will take the Heli-bar, hway pegs, topcase and RDL for the newer one. So it will be back to stock with a 90% done back tire, one bright light bulb out, and a little cosmetic stuff. If I go ahead and anyone would rather have it then the stealer, let me know. I don't care that much and they can have it for the trade-in. Please understand that I'm not looking for a buyer, the dealer will take it this way, but maybe it's a good deal for someone and the dealer isn't any special friend of mine.

I can buy their bike for $5,300.00 and IL sales tax 7%. If I trade in Illinois gives me no sales tax on the trade in amount. So if they give me $2,800.00 I need to get 107% of that which is $2,996.00 from a private party. The private party would be getting an 07 AE with 45,000 miles. it's rear tire is near the end and the front is maybe 60%. The mirror stay is bad, the front high beam has a burnt bulb and it has it's share of scuffs, scratches and such. It will be stock but for the heated gear cable.

I bet you're right that working hard to sell I might get $500.00 to !,000.00 more from a private party. I bought it in late 16 from a Birmingham, AL cop for $5,000.00 no sales tax with 22,000 miles. So for $2,000.00 I got 23,000 miles and maybe 16-18 months of fun. If I keep it I need a tire, light,plugs and valve check. I'm a worthless mechanic, so i'd pay the shop over a $1,000.00 for that.

So Saturday morning I'll at least investigate the deal, ad if it's a waste of time, I can ride around the forests before I go home. that can't be all bad.

They made some improvements to the AE for 2009 so it is the best vintage of that bike. Go for it.

Well I went and did it. They didnt make it too easy but in the end it happened. I had toleave both bikes behind so they can move the riser, highway pegs and such. Ill go back infew daysbringthe title tothe old one and that willbe that. The 09 seem4d to ride well as it should with 10,000 miles. It has a little rash on the left side case and is pretty pristine otherwise. It was a little hard to decide what I thought riding an FJR with the standard seat, and no Heli-Riser.