Trailering your bike

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bucky

Reaction score
Seriously thinking of buying a trailer of some sort to pull the bike behind the motorhome (mostly). Close to retirement and plan on taking extended trips with the Class A beast. Would love to trailer the bike instead of my tow car some of the time. I know kendon is one option. As well as other options, including closed trailering. Obviously the bike stays clean and secure in a closed trailer. Mainly though, how clean does the bike stay in an open trailer such as a kendon when being towed, especially in dusty or rainy trips? I know when I tow the car, it gets a little grungy and dusty after a pull. Anyone have any real world experience, especially behind a motorhome? And in an open trailer, such as kendon, would having some sort of a bulkhead help, say of 3-4 feet high?

Seriously thinking of buying a trailer of some sort to pull the bike behind the motorhome (mostly). Close to retirement and plan on taking extended trips with the Class A beast. Would love to trailer the bike instead of my tow car some of the time. I know kendon is one option. As well as other options, including closed trailering. Obviously the bike stays clean and secure in a closed trailer. Mainly though, how clean does the bike stay in an open trailer such as a kendon when being towed, especially in dusty or rainy trips? I know when I tow the car, it gets a little grungy and dusty after a pull. Anyone have any real world experience, especially behind a motorhome? And in an open trailer, such as kendon, would having some sort of a bulkhead help, say of 3-4 feet high?
No trailering experience, but I'm looking for a folding trailer and came across redtrailers.com that seem to be well thought out. I recall seeing some other people on either this forum or the FZ1 forum having good things to say. Prices are much lower than the Kendons.

The bike shouldn't get too much more dirty than it would by riding it, unless there are some issues with your car's emissions. It won't be clean and will be exposed to the elements, but shouldn't be too bad. You might want to invest in some "mudflap" type accessopries for your car if they aren't already there to control stuff being thrown up by your own tires.

You can get trailerable motorcycle covers; they're pretty pricey ($200+), but might be well worth the peace (piece?) of mind and a lot cheaper than repairing chips.

No trailering experience, but I'm looking for a folding trailer and came across redtrailers.com that seem to be well thought out. I recall seeing some other people on either this forum or the FZ1 forum having good things to say. Prices are much lower than the Kendons.

I picked up a "Trailer-in-a-bag" used for $600. It's pretty solid and only about $150 lbs total. I'm actually surprised how solid it feels when I put it together. I can fit it in my hatchback when I arrive at my destination.

I sold my open trailer and bought an enclosed trailer so here's my take. Pulling a bike with an open trailer behind any vehicle in rain and dirt sucks. Your bike will get much dirtier than riding in the rain where it counts- the seats, tank, instruments and both sides of the wind screen as the swirling vortex created behind any vehicle. Other negative points of open trailer is the bike is exposed when you leave it, allowing prying eyes to do whatever they wish. Open trailers are fine for the slight local use but if you doing extended traveling you can't go wrong with an enclosed trailer.

I bought a 6x10 with a fold down door for easy loading and with a cheap Harbor Freight chock it does just fine with the Feejeer or my FZ1. The real advantages are the bike is out of sight, clean and if you need to leave the trailer anywhere with it all locked up no worries plus the extra storage room in the trailer never hurts for those long trips.

Here's a pic of my trailer with the FZ1 loaded up.

IMG_0036-1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
https://www.alumaklm.com/motorcycle-trailers.html

So light you can push it around by hand [store in places that you can't back into] , nose piece keeps the bike clean, no maintenance and light enough to be pull with almost any vehicle.

I have the MC210. It will haul two bike easily and three with a little work. It's been all over the west [Death Valley with other FJR's] in all kinds of weather with no problems.

I have also rescued many bikes with it [Harley Davidsons - sorry Carver, FJRay & Geek] , thinking about a unlisted number. :lol:

So light you can push it around by hand [store in places that you can't back into] , nose piece keeps the bike clean, no maintenance and light enough to be pull with almost any vehicle.

I have the MC210. It will haul two bike easily and three with a little work. It's been all over the west [Death Valley with other FJR's] in all kinds of weather with no problems.

I have also rescued many bikes with it [Harley Davidsons - sorry Carver, FJRay & Geek] , thinking about a unlisted number. :lol:
A couple of Pic's from Dave;

1345_18_07218.jpg

One even in the snow. Dave looks happy he has the trailer!

NewImage.jpg

I've done a lot of trailering over the years and had a funmover rv I found the baxley chock bolted to the floor of what ever you have ,is money well spent it will hold the bike strait no matter what your tie downs are doing ,it will not work on a rail type trailer it needs a flat surface .

I'd go enclosed, otherwise any bit of rain/road construction/etc. is going to provide one very dirty bike. I don't mind riding in stuff like that, but an open trailer will really circulate all that crap into every part of the bike (even more than riding in that stuff).

exactly what I've used for my bikes, MC10 single place but can fit both enduros on together

IMAG0360.jpg

IMAG0359.jpg

IMG_2903.jpg

IMG_2904.jpg

Latest posts