Traveling To and From CFO

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Leaving Lakeville Thur AM, 0 dark thirty, back roads to 169, to 99 in St Peter, then 14 West just about to Wall, then 90 into Rapid City. Any Twin Citians welcome to tag along.

Thinking of changing my route after Niobrara from NB 12 and US 20 to 385, and taking US 18 across SD, looks better on S&T, any one know that road? Advice??
I have never been all the way across SD on US 18, but I'm curious what it's like. Try it and let us know. :)

Less than 10 days before I hit the road, planning on spending Wednesday night in or near Niobrara. Couple of easy 500 mile days.
Time is starting to slow down.

Thinking of changing my route after Niobrara from NB 12 and US 20 to 385, and taking US 18 across SD, looks better on S&T, any one know that road? Advice??

Any idea where you plan to spend the night near Niobrara? Any suggestions?

Nelz

Less than 10 days before I hit the road, planning on spending Wednesday night in or near Niobrara. Couple of easy 500 mile days.
Time is starting to slow down.

Any idea where you plan to spend the night near Niobrara? Any suggestions?

Nelz
OOPS! probably should call and see whats available.

Got a room at the hilltop for Wednesday night, When i was young and single I had an apartment over a bar than was problematic. :alcoholic:

07FJRSD and myself are meeting in DeSmet SD at around 1 PM on Wednesday. Any else that will possibly be heading out on Wednesday are welcome to meet up with us and ride out. Should put us in Custer around 7-8 PM.

Last year we met Jackson at Custer that night for a later supper and some drinks. I'm hoping that works out again. Especially for the drinks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Drinks? :dribble: I'll be good and ready for a few after I visit the world famous car henge on the way up from Colorado. I won't get to Custer until Friday pm so I'm hoping you guys won't empty the town supply before then. It's September ! :yahoo:

I won't get to Custer until Friday pm so I'm hoping you guys won't empty the town supply before then.
You won't have to worry about us emptying the town, I was at the local liquor store last year and brought some back for us at the Hotel. They have plenty.

But sure wish you could make it a little sooner to ride with us more than a Saturday. Although you will have some nice roads leading up to the Black Hills.

For me its just three days away. New tire being put on Monday. :yahoo:

Ya, I wish I could have squeezed more time for local riding but it could have something to do with hitting Beartooth Pass and Glacier on the way back.

I am sooo ready, had the 04 in for major service including an over due valve adjust. Did a TBS and oil change today, watch out I'm running a 20-50 Honda syn blend so I am sure it will be faster now :rolleyes:

How come time seems to slow down as I get closer to Wed. launch.

Looking forward to putting faces to the names on the forum although I rode with Corwin when he was out here a while back and I did witness Rad's tire dance a couple years back in Reno.

You guys promised chamber weather = right?

OK! got the goodies relocated to the new dash shelf, new oil and final drive lube changed, and I,uh,Mmm, well [SIZE=10pt]washed & waxed it[/SIZE]

are we there yet!

are we there yet!

are we there yet!

:hyper:

Less than 10 days before I hit the road, planning on spending Wednesday night in or near Niobrara. Thinking of changing my route after Niobrara from NB 12 and US 20 to 385, and taking US 18 across SD, looks better on S&T, any one know that road?

Advice??
I was just in Niobrara and NE 12 was closed west of town for a bridge replacement (I think?). I asked and was told it's possible to go around by gravel -- I didn't, mainly because I'd been that way before and my routing was pretty open (and had not been some other ways). There was also an announcement in town about an up-coming meeting to discuss the future of NE 12.

On this last trip I used US 18 and SD 44 across SD and thought it was great. The rolling hills on the west side of the MO R. on SD 44 are just beautiful and a great ride.

Also, the double-decker bridge across the MO R. at Yankton is soon to be replaced by a modern concrete span -- not many chances left to ride across the old one.

The Black Hills are as beautiful as ever..... :)

Whatever road you travel, sights you capture and stops you make... go safely everyone.

If you have issues, take the hotel phone number with you and Jackson's real name (pm him for details).

I'm upset that I can't make this trip. I really want to go, but since my house still isn't sold (and I'm not living there) money is too tight to make these trips. I'll just have to suffer with local day trips :(

Thanks, Advice received, I'll cross the river at Yankton, and take 18 across SD.

Which ever way you take, its wide open. But as you get west, 18 gets up there in elevation and you do have some nice views like on a bluff looking S/SW. I think it is quite beautiful. Check your gas though. There is some areas over west where I was a little low and didn't know the area at first. I didn't run out, but it was getting close to make me a little nervous.

Frank has a load, gave 'im some Exlax........wait that was me. Anyhoo, heading out tomorrow, a day early, to beat rain possibilities. Going low and slow, overnighting in beautiful suburban Miller, SD. Definitely a CBA record setting pace, but numerous State Gift Certificates dictate I cool my Rollie tendencies, and observe flora and fauna rather than rev limiter settings. CYA in Dead Incompetent Generalville!

Last edited by a moderator: