Triple digit ride from CT to NC

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ctfjr

Reaction score
Two of my sons were racing at VIR (Virginia International Raceway) on the VA / NC border this past weekend so I thought I'd ride down & photograph their efforts.

I left work Thursday afternoon and rode to Easton PA to stop & visit friends on the way (84 to 684 to 287 to 78). After I crossed the Tappan Zee the temps were over 100 - mostly 102-104 in NJ. Not only was it hot, it was oppressively hot with the humidity making it hard to breathe. I've ridden in hotter, but that was the toughest riding I ever did.

It didn't get much better on Friday. I took 78W to 81S eventually cutting over to 29S in VA to Danville. The temps started off at 82 when I left Easton at 6:30 AM and by 8:30 it was triple digit time the rest of the way. . .

Although the bike ran fine I found myself stopping every 75 or 90 minutes for a drink - its not nice to fool mother nature when you start dehydrating :angry2:

Of course today I left Martinsburg, WV for a 7 hour ride home - 6 in the pouring rain. Can't win

Last edited by a moderator:
On Thursday of last week I left the Jersey Shore for a trip back to Columbus, OH. 530 miles of temps well above 90 and as high as 103 on the PA Turnpike with crippling humidity as you mentioned. About half way through the trip it started to rain, and rain hard. Cars on the Turnpike were pulling over to the shoulder and parking or doing about 30 mph with their flashers on. I had no idea how hard it was raining until I started plowing through deep puddles in the road way. Being the first time I had been caught in rain on the FJR I was amazed at the rain protection. It wasn't until I backed of to 30-40 MPH did I truly get drenched. The rain and heat continued the rest of the ride making it the worst ride I've ever experienced. The FJR handled it all like a champ.

Being the first time I had been caught in rain on the FJR I was amazed at the rain protection. It wasn't until I backed of to 30-40 MPH did I truly get drenched.
Did you have rain gear and still got drenched, or no gear?

Ken

Man I thought this was gonna be about setting some sort of land speed record. :eek:

Oh well back to may regular channel.