Truckee to Truckee

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

madmike2

Shtirrenuppenmeister
Reaction score
I know that others have photos that will be added to this attempt.

It was the best of days....and the best of days! I mean...er...uhm...FJR friends from all over the state meeting in Truckee to ride to lunch in Nevada City and back to Donner Lake.

Can anyone think of a better plan?

I left home @ 0700 to be in Truckee @ 0900.

Sir Richard said, "Kickstands up @ 0930!"

001.jpg

I soon merged from Hwy 99 onto I-80 and began my climb into the Sierras.

006.jpg

Arriving at the Shell station, Hwy 89 @ I-80, some of the group was already there and more continued to arrive.

L-R: Fairlaner, Bluestreek, Old Michael, Cyndi (Mrs. Bluestreek), exskibum

007.jpg

008.jpg

I like these two guys. They are true gentlemen and good friends.

I don't know why Steve thinks Michael is funny?!?!

010.jpg

Guess who's bike this is?!?!

009.jpg

After the Highlanders arrived, it was North on Hwy 89 to Hwy 49 West.

Following exskibum and Old Michael.

017.jpg

The rest of the group behind me...Fairlaner and?????

013-1.jpg

Hwy 89 drops into Sierraville and we turned left (at the only stop light in Sierra County...and it is a flashing red light at the stop sign!) through Sierra Valley

020-1.jpg

Richard giving the "TWN Salute".

021.jpg

A barn for Andrew (OrangevaleFJR).

I wonder how many harsh Winters this structure has endured?

022.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
We made the bend onto Hwy 49 and climbed Bassetts Grade. :yahoo: Yee-freakin'-haw! :yahoo:

Er...NO photos...I was a bit busy trying to keep up with Old Michael....

At the top of the grade we stopped at the overlook.

1.) DIS-mount!

2.) Strip off warm layers and stow them

2.a) Remove your seat and plug in your 2-way to the Starcom.

BTW, Dave's "AE" is still in the shop with the shifting problem. They were on the WeeStrom.

024.jpg

Let's see....first you insert battery (a) into slot ( B) ...then you place memory card (e) into slot (f)...

"Freakin' Chinese designs with their little hands!"

023.jpg

Bluestreeks (Steve & Cyndi) and Highlanders (Dave & Dianne).

"No, you don't need a map. First you go this way and then...that way!"

026.jpg

The view. Reno is over there someplace.

Actually, on a clear day you can't see forever, but you can see 3 different temperate zones: We are standing in the mountains (about 5500'-6000') looking down into an Alpine Valley and over the mountains in the distance (about 15 miles) is the high desert.

That's your geography lesson for today.....

025.jpg

From the overlook we rode down Hwy 49 through Sierrea City.

029-Copy.jpg

More fun on Hwy 49:

031.jpg

Highlander and his Harley-riding-new-best-friend.

Actually, this rider was very nice and once we got aroung this bend he flagged us both around.

We had this happen many times....a good day to be riding!

032.jpg

We "blew through" Downieville in hopes to meet the FJRKs (Ryan & Jeanette) in Camptonville.

Uhm....alas, we were about 15 minutes behind them. We waited about 15 minutes then headed to Nevada City (the word from Ryan was that if we missed them, we'd meet in Nevada City). As we rolled into town Ryan was on his 2-way alerting us as to where they were. We gave them the info as to where the South Oine Street Cafe was and they walked a couple blocks to meet us.

While we were waiting, the FJRobs (Rob & Terri) rode up.

Will Wait For Food!

L-R: Terri, Dianne, Dave, Rob, Really Old Michael, Steve, Rich & Jeanette

035.jpg

While I was across the street--in the shade with Ryan and Cyndi--to take the photo, Cyndi was looking in the shop windows and pointed out a few "specialty" items.

Just for Bustanut--aka "Farm Boy" or "Sheep Meister" or whatever.....

033.jpg

Awwwww....ain't "she" cuuute!

If you squeeze her, she says, "Baa-aaa-aarry." :D

If you hug her...she says more..... :eek:

034.jpg

After we'd waited to be seated...at what appeared to be the ONLY table that could handle 12 people....and under a very bright skylight...

I got to sit at the far end of this table with Ryan & Jeanette. What nice folks and it was great to get a chance to know them.

037.jpg

Unlike the rowdy forum miscreants on the "far side" of the table.

038.jpg

See what I mean!

And nobody ordered Lasagna..... ;)

039-Copy.jpg

We feed hungry FJRs and WeeStroms, too!

041.jpg

040-Copy.jpg

At this point, bluestreeks, FJRKs and Really Old Michael (who needed a nap) had turned toward home while the rest of us rode up Hwy 20 to Donner Lake.

On Hwy 20 we caught this pickup who pulled over to let us by. See, I told you it happened often during our journey!

045-Copy.jpg

Approaching the I-80 overpass

048.jpg

There's a lot of contruction taking place on I-80. The Westbound lanes are closed while they are widening and re-surfacing.

050.jpg

Onward....

We got onto I-80 for about 2 miles and took the Cisco Grove exit. Turning left under the highway we went East on Hampshire Rocks Rd. which becomes Donner Pass Rd.

This IS the old Hwy 40, or what's left of the upper portion, over Donner Summit and down to the lake.

054-Copy.jpg

There is still some snow on the higher mountains.

061.jpg

One of the many ski resort area

062.jpg

There's the overlook with Donner Lake in the background.

Nice road, huh!? Imagine trucks using this as a main East-West artery until the late 50s!

064.jpg

At the vista point.

Dave, Rich, Dianne, Richard, Terri & Rob.

067.jpg

BTW...Happy Birthday, Terri.

Today IS her birthday and she's 30!

That's the end of the group report.

Exskibum led me back down Hwy 40 and onto I-80 to some more back roads to Auburn. Photos of that will follow....real life gets in the way and SOMEONE in my house has to get groceries if he wants to eat next week.

It was a great day to be out, the weather was perfect.

It was a great group to be with....You really do meet the nicest people on an FJR, and I cherish the friends I've made around this motorcycle.

Sorry for those of you who could not make this trip. Sam, get well! The others....there'll be more opportunities for you to see me! :bleh:

Here's my requisite GPS photo

Yes, I did "zero" the max speed.

I didn't want you to see I'd accidently, while not concentrating, exceeded the posted speed limit.

086.jpg

Great to see friends having a good time. I have been to some of those places...and have met some of those people...so can relate to the good times on this thread.

Thanks for posting Mr. Mike of Madness

dcarver approved! :yahoo:

So very good to see friends on the road and enjoying life!

A barn for Andrew (OrangevaleFJR).I wonder how many harsh Winters this structure has endured?
Niiiceee..

Wow, gang. I am sorry to have missed this one.

Have I mentioned that I can't wait to get back west? Great pics, great looking ride.

Wow, gang. I am sorry to have missed this one.

Have I mentioned that I can't wait to get back west? Great pics, great looking ride.
Just to whet your appetite, Barry.

I mean...now YOU can be one of us and ride these horrible roads with terrible scenery. Oh yeah, the people aren't half-bad, either. Except for a certain "Old" person, that is (Like he had to put OLD in his handle in case we couldn't figure it out).

A couple more photos of the roads exskibum showed me:

Rich

071.jpg

Parts of Hwy 40 (Old Donner Rd) parallel I-80

075.jpg

The Yuba River along old Hwy 49.

077.jpg

083-Copy.jpg

085.jpg

Mike, last time I picked your camera off the side of the road after you flung it away, it was in less than pristine condition. Obviously you have not learned any lessons at all about shooting pics while following Fairlaner, Nevertheless, what cheapo camera can we attribute these superior, (and only) trip report pics to?

I really need to sit down and write a ride report as this was one of the best weeks riding I have ever had......

So i will do it, just a question of when....you know kinda like JB and his reports. :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

R

Hi MM, Haven't been around too much of late, but just happened in and enjoyed vicariously taggin' along on your just-posted junkett. Thx E