Two Brothers Exhaust

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
All is good with my new Two Bothers. Installed very easy,sound much better then stock, look great! I have not installed the PX-1 yet. I am sure I will for long trips. Get them its worth it. I will even go so far to say without proof that the motor breaths better.

Just ordered Two Brothers Exhuast for my 05. Got the M 2's. Just seeing who has them how they like them.
I have the M2 black series with the longer inserts to quiet them dowm a little. I also got the 2bros tuner.

Love them both

Can anyone recommend a preferred vendor for the Two Brothers in aluminum? I see the P1-X tips are available at motorcycle-superstore. But reading some posts makes me wonder if I should just get the P1 tips.

Thanks,

Dennis
Yup...Cougar8000 who used to be a member here has a website and deals TB. Contact him at mishacycles.com. Email him that you're a forum member...You'll get a discount and awesome service.

Yup...Cougar8000 who used to be a member here has a website and deals TB. Contact him at mishacycles.com. Email him that you're a forum member...You'll get a discount and awesome service.
Thanks. Sorry I saw this too late. Already placed my order with motorcycle-superstore. I got them to match another price on the cans but the tips were same price as above.

edit: and I could've saved another $10 with mishacycles.com -- bummer.

Dennis

Last edited by a moderator:
Got my Two Brothers mufflers in today and installed them. For the most part, the instructions that come with the Two Brothers package are straightforward but in places, they could have been a little more explicit. I hope this write up can fill in some of what I felt they left out.

Everyone keeps saying it takes 30 minutes or so. I kind of studied things and waxed my OEM mufflers before putting them away and took notes so it took maybe 90 minutes. I guess if I wanted to be quick and dirty, it would be 30 minutes but that leaves little time to put away tools, drink a soda, wash hands, etc. Plus it's Winter so I wanted the experience to last :D .

I still need to take a ride to get a feel for the new sound but that might not be for a while ... grumble.

For reference, I have a 2010 FJR with stock mufflers. Also, I've pretty good ears. I don't like open, non-empty soda cans in my bedroom because the sound of the fizz bothers me when I try to sleep at night.

Dennis

Remove OEM muffler (procedure applies to both and is relatively easy):

•  
  • Remove the 12mm bolt where muffler pipe meets the header pipe.
  • Remove the 14mm bolt where muffler mounts to OEM passenger peg bracket.
  • Wiggle the muffler to get it off (be patient and gentle).
  • Note that there is a tubular gasket (looks/feels like a metallic rubber material about 3" tall and 2" wide) that fits inside the end of the muffler pipe that faces the header pipe. That stays with the OEM muffler so store that with it.
  • Remove the captive nut off of the bracket where the OEM muffler mounts. I used a flathead screwdriver to gently pry it off; it's pretty easy and you don't have to bend that far to get the nut to come off. You'll need this nut when you install the Two Brothers mufflers. I don't know if this is a 2010 FJR specific thing (there was no mention of this in the included instructions). If you don't want to do this, just goto the hardware store and get a new set of OEM compatible nuts.

Install Two Brothers muffler (procedure applies to both): the included instructions are pretty simple so I won't repeat here except for things that I had to figure out

•  
  • the slip tube that has the center stand guard on it goes on the left muffler.
  • the other slip tube (smooth all around) goes on slip tubethe right muffler.
  • keep all but the center plastic on the mufflers to reduce the amount of fingerprints you have to clean off later. The center one is removed to allow the muffler clamp to be installed.
  • mount the muffler onto the bike:
  • install the included barrel clamp onto the end of the slip tube (you may have to loosen the bolt first to get it on); position it so that the head of that allen head is conducive to you using your socket wrench or other tool to tighten it.
  • inserting the slip tube onto the header pipe on the bike; the clamp is now ready to be tightened
  • hang the muffler by the included muffler clamp and bolt with spacer; use the OEM nut on the other end of the bolt
  • tighten (but not all the way) the bracket bolt
  • start to position the entire muffler assembly and start to tighten the X-brackets (that hold the slip tube onto the end of the muffler) and the clamp; the Two Brothers package comes with a quality allen wrench with rounded head to allow you to be able to tighten all four bolts from awkward angles.

•  
  • NOTE: ensure that barrel clamp is squarely in place (this will allow tightening of the clamp bolt to squarely squeeze the slip tube onto the header pipe and make a good seal). Also, that little, whimpy 5mm allen head bolt on the end of the barrel clamp will strip if you don't get your allen wrench squarely onto it. I hate it when vendors use weak stuff like this (it's good enough but doesn't kick butt) so be careful as you don't want stripped bolts because you need to reuse them if/when you resell your Two Brothers package if you decide to change bikes, or mufflers, etc. I ended up using the included allen tool (good quality here) on my allen tool holder to back out that bolt because the clamp wasn't on squarely and the slip tube was not snug. This time, I was smart enough to stop, get a drink and think (the last time I had something like this happen, I used my socket wrench and stripped an allen head bolt and ended up learning what a Heli-Coil was).
  • The muffler and slip tube should be nice and snug and not move or rattle.
  • Clean the mufflers off (they say this in the instructions) to get finger prints off, etc.

Some stats using my bathroom scale with 0.5 pound accuracy (body fat measurement didn't work :p )

•  
  • Left muffler = 10 lb.
  • Left Two Brothers muffler with slip tube installed = 4.5 lb.

NOTES:

•  
  • Both mufflers fit snugly and they don't look like they'll move -- I guess we'll see when I take it for a ride (too bloody cold and dark right now with snow expected tomorrow).
  • I installed my OEM hard bags and note that mufflers don't touch them.
  • I shined a flashlight though the mufflers and it's pretty much clear tunnel.
  • Turned on the bike and it is definitely louder than stock -- sounds good but loud. This is in my garage so it's not a fair test. At first impression, I'm glad I got the P1X tips (7db to 8db reduction in noise). I haven't installed them yet (want to try without them first); plus it looks like a 5-10 minute installation.

Dennis, did you install the M2's or the M5'? I am very interested in the 2Bros exhaust but am trying to decide between the two versions.

Anyone else have the opportunity to see the different versions on an FJR?

I have them on my 05 as well. Quite happy with them. Like both the looks & the sound to them.

Opinions about sound always run the gamut. What's loud to one guy is not nearly loud enough for another guy. It's all relative.

I will say that running a constant 80mph on the interstate after awhile the sound does start to get on my nerves. Other than that, in all the other rpm's & speeds I'm real happy with them and they give the bike some attitude. :D
GeorgiaRoller, are those the M2's or the M5's?

Dennis, did you install the M2's or the M5'? I am very interested in the 2Bros exhaust but am trying to decide between the two versions.

Anyone else have the opportunity to see the different versions on an FJR?
Mine are M2 Aluminum finish. From this thread, the M2 vs. M5 is size. I think M5 only comes in the more expensive versions of the mufflers but HP and sound are (at least from my impression of the thread) same.

https://www.fjrforum.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=122453

Dennis

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Dennis and FastSpy!
No problem. BTW, I just got a chance to try out the new Two Brothers mufflers outside of my garage (still no ride yet). When you first turn on the bike, they're loud (for me too loud); when the bike idle calms down after a little warmup, they quiet down a bit and sound better.

I ended up installing the P1X tips and now the sound is much better to me. Reminds me more of my R6 (stock muffler on there and Iove the sound as is).

Looking forward to a day with dry roads where I can go for a nice long ride.

Left with P1X

Right Side

Raw vid with P1X tips

Dennis

Nice job! I like the tips better myself...didn't think I would because I come off of riding cruisers with pretty loud pipes. But these pipes still "bark" when you give it throttle with the P1 tips and yours still sound nice as well with the P1X tips.

These Two Brothers exhausts are good products and changing the tips is a breeze.