Two-up riding

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I also used to have an K1200LT, and I also have a wife.

I traded it for a Triumph Tiger. I loved the bike, but she hated the thing (even though the luggage would easily hold 7 two-liters of coke, a gallon of milk, and a loaf of bread). When I got rid of it, I made sure she gave her seal of approval for the FJR, before I (she, actually) bought the thing.

I have the factory top box and backrest on my '07. It mounts a bit rearward on the rack, and as such, doesn't offer the kind of 'lean-back' comfort your wife is used to on an LT. It's enough to offer security, however (which is why I have one).

The seat is hardly the gynochologically-accurate pillion of an LT. She'll have to sit the bike; not recline.

Earplugs. She's used to a cocoon of wind protection on an LT, that just isn't there on an FJR. Even with a touring-type aftermarket windscreen.

There are going to be adaptations and shortcomings to switching from an LT to an FJR, for two-up riding. The greatest adavantage of the FJR over the LT, however, is the damn rear-drive isn't going to lock up and smear the two of you all over the highway on an FJR.

... So, you won't have to worry about that, anymore.

On the other hand, if your wife has back problems, and you're going to go long-distance touring, I suggest the two of you test out an FJR, first. I think it would be best to rent or borrow one, and put some miles on it. Otherwise, without first getting her comfort approval, I'd have to recommend you look at a Goldwing or a Rocket3 Touring.

Even with the wonderful comfort of the BMW, we have to take frequent stops for her to do something for her back pain.
Glad to hear from a female rider. Thank you.

Keith
You're welcome! Kudos to her, for being willing to ride long distance with you, despite her back pain. Those frequent stops will give you time to smell the roses together and talk about what you've seen so far. Wishing you many, happy miles together.

Jill

JRO,

That's some great advice, especially from a former LT rider. You know well what I am coming from and what our experience would be like.

No doubt some mods are going to have to me made, but I still want something that will take the curves like at the speeds I like to run. Everything I've read so far seems to indicate the FJR will do that and more.

While riding over Memorial Day weekend, we ran across a guy with an FJR w/topcase. He let her sit on it to get a feel for the foot position, etc. She seemed to think it would be good. I hope that I have one in the stable before long.

Keith

Sounds like ya'll have about settled on an FJR. I'm still concerned about her back problems, but I hope the bike works out great for both of you. Only the two of you can decided what will work. I would suggest the gel seats, and an aftermarket windscreen.

If you switch to an FJR, it's going to feel like you changed from a Greyhound bus to a Viper. You'll like it; especially when parking or turning the thing around.

Best of luck.

Add 10 mm spacers under the "W" on the screen for less turbulance.

otherwise nothing.

take a few rides before you start with the changes that may never be required

Seat for me and late wife good for all day rides

Howard

Just a couple of suggestions.

Always take breaks before the slightest onset of pain. Once it starts it does not get better.

Take a few rides to find her endurance level (no brutality necessary here). Teach her that however far out she goes she has to go back that far. so, waiting until she can't take anymore to turn around ensures agony on the way home.

A wider softer supportive seat will provide stability and decrease the amount of lower back muscle usage to remain upright and in proper posture.

Learn proper posture for the bike. Having only ridden pillion a couple of times and never on an FJR, others will have to chime in for help on this one.

A weight/kidney belt or other supportive wrap may help but could be hot. It's a trade off.

Lastly I am not a doctor or even first year med student, that having been said, learn proper usage and benefits of analgesics for pain and inflammation prevention. While they should not be perpetually relied on (bad for the bod don't ya know), they can be invaluable in a time of need. I like naproxin but you should consult with your own personal bead and feather shaker for proper certified and legal advise.

I hope this helps.

:clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

https://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/FJR-1300-Lo...sspagenameZWDVW
+1

My wife says these allow her to find a more-comfortable position. Note that the left side when it's down contacts the centerstand when riding. Wifey says it's not a problem.

more better
I was going to suggest lowering the passenger pegs when I read through this and saw this post.

If she has long legs, this is almost a necessary adaption, and, if you add travel pegs, when you move your feet to them on long straightaways she could move her feet to your pegs to help stretch.

You might also consider something like this: BackAlign belt

Great advice from everyone, thank you. Don't want anyone to think my wife isn't an experienced rider. We've done an Iron Butt together, 1,500 mile vacations from NC to Amish country in PA on the bike, nearly 900 mile weekend rides. I'm real proud of how she musters through it all. Even on the Beemer we have to stop about avery hour and a half for her to stretch. She loves to ride and I don't think she's about to give it up...not short rides on her own bike, nor long ones 2-up.

I think we are pretty settled on an FJR. We went to the local Honda dealer today to look at an ST1300 and neither of us were very impressed. We both like the FJR and I think the mods that everyone has suggested will make a difference. I certainly know that coming off of my "road sofa" I want to be comfortable too. But we both like the twisties and speed (within reason), ok outside of reason sometimes, and the FJR seems to be the direction we are headed.

I'm particularly impressed with the belt. Heck, for $49 it's worth a try. I can tell this is a great forum to be apart of. Thanks again and if you have other suggestions...keep'em coming!

Regards,

Keith

I also used to have an K1200LT, and I also have a wife.
I traded it for a Triumph Tiger. I loved the bike, but she hated the thing (even though the luggage would easily hold 7 two-liters of coke, a gallon of milk, and a loaf of bread). When I got rid of it, I made sure she gave her seal of approval for the FJR, before I (she, actually) bought the thing.

I have the factory top box and backrest on my '07. It mounts a bit rearward on the rack, and as such, doesn't offer the kind of 'lean-back' comfort your wife is used to on an LT. It's enough to offer security, however (which is why I have one).

The seat is hardly the gynochologically-accurate pillion of an LT. She'll have to sit the bike; not recline.

Earplugs. She's used to a cocoon of wind protection on an LT, that just isn't there on an FJR. Even with a touring-type aftermarket windscreen.

There are going to be adaptations and shortcomings to switching from an LT to an FJR, for two-up riding. The greatest adavantage of the FJR over the LT, however, is the damn rear-drive isn't going to lock up and smear the two of you all over the highway on an FJR.

... So, you won't have to worry about that, anymore.

On the other hand, if your wife has back problems, and you're going to go long-distance touring, I suggest the two of you test out an FJR, first. I think it would be best to rent or borrow one, and put some miles on it. Otherwise, without first getting her comfort approval, I'd have to recommend you look at a Goldwing or a Rocket3 Touring.
This is the type of postings I was looking forward to read. Thanks.

Coming from a CapoNord with long 2up trips, I am concerned about the ergos of the FJR, especially due to the pillion point of view. We are both tall, 6-3 250# here and she is 5-9 160#.

After 45k miles on the Capo, she believes only the GW or the LT can do it. If the FJR is not the recomended bike we must go back to another Capo!!!

Olie,

I am coming off of a K1200LT. Great bike! But there are mechanical issues that prompt the owner to either be mechanically inclined or live closer to a dealer than I currently do - 4 hours away. From a riders perspective, your wife would love the LT. It is a great travel bike and handles beautifully for a nearly 900 pound beast.

Sold it Friday! Can my wife and I do the 1,500 plus mile trips that we did on the LT? Don't know, but we are going to find out. I think with well planned stops and a couple of accessories that I can make her pretty comfortable on the back.

If you want any more info about traveling/owning an LT, PM me.

I am expecting my new '08 FJR to be delivered this week. At least that's what I'm hoping for! Good luck with your decision.

Keith

Thanks Keith. Please keep us informed about your future experience with the FJR especially related with 2up riding. The Capo is gone but I still have in my garage a 07 Tuono. Now that's a fun bike!! Good for a 300 mile ride...but no 2up.

From your experiences, what am I going to have to do to the FJR to make it relatively comfortable for my wife on long trips? She has her own bike and rides, but doesn't take it on the long trips. I expect that I will add a topcase and probably have to lower the passenger pegs, but are there other things that I should consider?
Lower her pegs, spend $600+ on a custom seat for you AND her from BMS, spend another $600+ on a good communications system so you don't have to interpret hand signals, always stay in a motel/hotel, agree with everything she says and hope she forgets 80% of it before you have to do it. :blink:

OK, I went too far... :unsure:

We have an 05 and ride 2up alot ,the biggest improvement bar none(her word's) is the change to a Russell day long comfort seat (I agree) I have back issue's and this IS the best money you will ever spend for an increase in comfort. We also have lowered her pegs and made our own mini board's also have comm. and MP3 but that Russell...

blujag,

Did you mail in your seat or did you do a ride in. I really believe what everyone says about needing a new seat, but there is no way I can ride in to get one made.

My new FJR should be in on Thursday afternoon. I can't wait. I've gone a week without a bike and I'm having withdrawls.

Keith

From your experiences, what am I going to have to do to the FJR to make it relatively comfortable for my wife on long trips? She has her own bike and rides, but doesn't take it on the long trips. I expect that I will add a topcase and probably have to lower the passenger pegs, but are there other things that I should consider?
Lower her pegs, spend $600+ on a custom seat for you AND her from BMS, spend another $600+ on a good communications system so you don't have to interpret hand signals, always stay in a motel/hotel, agree with everything she says and hope she forgets 80% of it before you have to do it. :blink:

OK, I went too far... :unsure:
No you didn't go too far......I agree with all your suggested changes.