Tyre Mileage Report

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
To put my tire mileage into perspective I measured starting and ending tread depth. These measurements were on a set of Avons. The rear tire’s tread depth when new was 9/32” and the front measured 5/32.” 11k miles down the road the road, both front and rear tread depths were at 4/32.” That’s enough tread left to travel an additional 2,200 theoretical miles before reaching a tread depth of 3/32”on the rear--my personel safety ware limit. Most tire manufactures recommend replacement at 2/32", DOT replacement (wear bars) is at 1/32".

I've got diablo stradas on now and have about 4k miles on them so far. I've done three track days on them (all two up) and haven't put too much of a dent in them. they look like they'll go somewhere between 8k-10k??
That's very interesting indeed! I'm pretty UN-happy with the grip of the current rear Avon and the Diablo Strada was at the top of my list for possible replacements. I was having just this conversation with another forum member off-forum and he said he replaced his Strada rear at just 5k, but admits he may have done so prematurely. I put a hand and an eyeball on the Stradas at the Cleveland bike show and man do they feel sticky to the touch. Tread depth near the center looks unusually deep (a good thing). Their website claims superb grip even on cold, wet pavement. I like the sound of that alot. Long wear doesn't mean much to me if I have no faith in the tire's grip. I think my second choice would be the MEZ4 since that's what's on the front and I'm pretty happy with it. I still have time to think about it. After what has been an unbelievably mild winter here thus far, the weather just went to hell in a bucket with no relief in sight...that is the 10 day forecast isn't calling for anything above the 30s and there's snow on the pavement now. Oh well.

Hey, Don't fuss at me-You asked how many miles & here tiz. If you're inclined to fuss, read my avatar's lips.

13,500 mi on original rear Stone & still running original front at 18,296 mi. but will be changing it soon as am down to wear bars. Yes it cupped long ago but I sorta like that sound it makes when in a turn. I go fast but streight around Hotlatna, rarely under 80 & rarely over 100.

Bummer, 1st thing to go wrong on my '04-one of my tail lights burned out.

Hey, Don't fuss at me-You asked how many miles & here tiz. If you're inclined to fuss, read my avatar's lips.
13,500 mi on original rear Stone & still running original front at 18,296 mi. but will be changing it soon as am down to wear bars. Yes it cupped long ago but I sorta like that sound it makes when in a turn. I go fast but streight around Hotlatna, rarely under 80 & rarely over 100.

Bummer, 1st thing to go wrong on my '04-one of my tail lights burned out.
Funny you should mention that about the tail light. I just had to replace a tail light bulb on my 04 also.

GP

Rear OEM Metzler replaced at 5800 miles and replaced with Avon. This lasted about the same mileage. I replace tires when they're down to the wear bars. I consider myself a slightly aggressive rider but not doing wheelies or burnouts.