U.S. National Parks daily/weekly fees to rise ?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

exskibum

~<>~<>~<>~<>~
Reaction score
Not a small % increase, either. However, annual pass prices are to be unaffected . . . and those of us with lifetime Senior Passes continue to enjoy one of the best deals ever (best $10 I've spent). Note that the 30 day comment period just opened, should you wish to exercise your right to petition the appropriate agency.

https://sacramento.cbslocal.com/2017/10/24/yosemite-national-park-rate-hike/

Last edited by a moderator:
Lets see....a single 7 day park pass could cost as much as $70 but the annual pass for all parks will continue be $80??? I wonder which marketing/finance expert came up with that strategy to increase maintenance revenues.

Lets see....a single 7 day park pass could cost as much as $70 but the annual pass for all parks will continue be $80??? I wonder which marketing/finance expert came up with that strategy to increase maintenance revenues.
I've watched 40+ years of the evolving relationship between ski resort day ticket prices and season pass prices. The general trend over that time has been a reduction in the number of day ticket purchases required to equal the pass purchase price. It seems that, at least for day use resorts, the marketers are betting that many pass purchasers will not ski as many days as necessary to "justify" buying a pass. (And in addition to the resorts realizing the cash flow of pass sales earlier, pass buyers are less likely to ski at other resorts for which they must buy day tickets.) Different relative pricing strategies seem to be employed for resorts that are primarily day use vs. those that are primarily destination resorts. It appears that the resorts' marketing departments use sophisticated data based strategies to optimize their revenue streams. Which leaves us to guess at their data points.

Maybe the Parks Service marketing gurus figure that enough users will opt for the annual pass and make only one NP visit during the year to outweigh the number of users who will be deterred from visiting due to the relatively high weekly fee price.

The announced a price increase for Senior Lifetime passes to $80. There was a cut off for the $10 and if ordering it on line, their fees doubled that to $20. 3 months later and it's still processing.

I picked up my Señor park pass for $10 earlier this year, and the guy told me it was going up to $80. Last time I checked online, it looked like it has already gone up.

Still, it's the same as buying one more season pass, only it's good until you die or until you lose it, whichever comes first.

(don't lose it, they don't keep records, so you have to buy a new one)

The announced a price increase for Senior Lifetime passes to $80. There was a cut off for the $10 and if ordering it on line, their fees doubled that to $20. 3 months later and it's still processing.
Our closest park had sold out when I went in July. Mailed it in and waited. Called our Federal rep and got it a week later, which was 10 days ago.