Will You Be 62 or Older by Aug 28? Act Fast!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SacramentoMike

Not Safe For Work
Reaction score
The National Park Senior Pass that many of us love so much--you know, the one that costs a one-time $10 fee and is good for free admission to all national parks forever? (Half price camping in NFS campgrounds, too.)

Starting August 28, 2017, it's taking a little price bump. 700 PERCENT! That's right, a $60 jump for the same benefits. Now, that's still not a bad deal; I know in the, umm, several years I've had mine, I've saved over a thousand bucks easy. Hell, I've taken single trips where I used it at 8 or 10 times, and the price of admission to these parks is usually 25 or 30 bucks. Even for motorcycles it ranges from $15 to $25, depending on how popular the park is.

Still, if you're eligible now, or will be before 8/28, don't wait. Once you have it, you keep it--no retroactive increase. You can get it at any park that charges admission, or you can send for one by mail, though the article I saw said there will be a long delay--maybe months--if you do that. Good excuse to take a ride. Here's a link.

Last edited by a moderator:
Good call on that one Mike.....I have saved a LOT of $$$ myself over the last "couple" of years!!
punk.gif
punk.gif

The National Park Senior Pass that many of us love so much--you know, the one that costs a one-time $10 fee and is good for free admission to all national parks forever? (Half price camping in NFS campgrounds, too.)
Starting August 28, 2017, it's taking a little price bump. 700 PERCENT! That's right, a $70 jump for the same benefits. Now, that's still not a bad deal; I know in the, umm, several years I've had mine, I've saved over a thousand bucks easy. Hell, I've taken single trips where I used it at 8 or 10 times, and the price of admission to these parks is usually 25 or 30 bucks. Even for motorcycles it ranges from $15 to $25, depending on how popular the park is.

Still, if you're eligible now, or will be before 8/28, don't wait. Once you have it, you keep it--no retroactive increase. You can get it at any park that charges admission, or you can send for one by mail, though the article I saw said there will be a long delay--maybe months--if you do that. Good excuse to take a ride. Here's a link.
Fixed it for you
smile.png
since the new price will be $80. Thanks for the update, looks like it will be a good idea to invest $10 now and have a backup pass since we Seniors seem to have a problem losing such items.

I was denied your discount at Devil's Tower in May because I'm Canuckistani, but the nice lady at Mount Rushmore (who loves Vancouver Island) was happy to give it to us :rolleyes:

Unfortunately, I believe that you have to be a US citizen or permanent resident. Otherwise, I would be all over that offer. Hell, it would be a bargain at $80.

Edit: MEM was posting her good fortune while I was complaining about being ineligible. Some people have all the luck!

Dammit I am not there yet, Like you said even with the increase it still isn't that bad. I had the same deal with the NH lifetime hunters license. I got in just under the wire before the big increase.

Dave

Starting August 28, 2017, it's taking a little price bump. 700 PERCENT! That's right, a $70 jump for the same benefits. Now, that's still not a bad deal; I know in the, umm, several years I've had mine, I've saved over a thousand bucks easy. Hell, I've taken single trips where I used it at 8 or 10 times, and the price of admission to these parks is usually 25 or 30 bucks. Even for motorcycles it ranges from $15 to $25, depending on how popular the park is.

Fixed it for you
smile.png
since the new price will be $80. Thanks for the update, looks like it will be a good idea to invest $10 now and have a backup pass since we Seniors seem to have a problem losing such items.
Yeh, thanks, MCR, didn't read that too carefully I guess. Might as well change the other sentence too then. Make it an 800% increase!

Not to be pedantic, but it is still (only?) a 700% increase. The price will be 800% of what it was, but the increase is $70.

Unfortunately, I do not qualify yet. When I do, I'll be jumping on that $80 pass.

It would have been nice if they gave veterans those passes for free. What's $80 compared to their prior service?

Not to be pedantic, but it is still (only?) a 700% increase. The price will be 800% of what it was, but the increase is $70.
Unfortunately, I do not qualify yet. When I do, I'll be jumping on that $80 pass.

It would have been nice if they gave veterans those passes for free. What's $80 compared to their prior service?
Only Fred would use the word pedantic to describe himself! :whistle:

I finally got through. It's slow and often times out so be patient.

If ordering on-line, you pay a 100% privileged fee for the $10 item ($20 total).

Mike, thanks for the reminder, have been putting off going, time to ride to a nearby park and get mine.John
Apparently they have been going fast. None of the park offices in PA have any left. At Loyalhanna dam their allocation was 80 and they have been gone several weeks ago. Supposed to still be available online, just an extra $10 fee.

Dammit. First time in a long while that I'm too YOUNG to take advantage of a Senior Citizen discount.