unemployed in California

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HYCLE

Hooligan #2
Reaction score
After 32 years with the same company, I find myself unemployed.

Need some advice and links to websites on how to deal with this new situation.

The last time I looked for a job was 1973 at the age of 15.

Now at 53 years old I am clueless about job hunting, resume writing and unemployment insurance.

I am not looking to whine about my situation and look at this as a chance to improve my quality of life at work.

I am looking to my family of FJR owners for good advice.

I am hoping to change fields, since working on cars everyday has taken a toll on my body.

Thanks in advance.

Mike

I can't blame you for looking for something different after all those years, but you'll have a better chance of finding something above entry level if you stick to the same industry. Ever consider selling cars? People really appreciate a salesman who actually knows what he is talking about, and salesmen like that are rare at an auto dealership.

Holy carp! 32 years?! I really hope you got some decent severance to tide you over.

Hell, go do whatever floats your boat, so to speak. Sounds like you're good with a wrench, so maybe open a mobile motorcycle service business. (Hopefully the boss won't be too much of a jerk to deal with. :blink: )

With that kind of 'sperience, have you considered teaching at a community college / career center?

Or, for something completely different, you could hire yourself out as a Yes Man. Kinda like those guys that Mike Tyson used to have in his posse. You know - the guys following him around always saying, "You da CHAMP! Dey LOVE you!" That kind of thing. :huh:

Seriously, though. What are your interests? Wanna make money via a hobby? Other than your FJR, what're your interests?

And best of luck to you. Life is too short to hate your job.

I am hoping to change fields, since working on cars everyday has taken a toll on my body.
Aw, Mikey, sorry to hear it! :(

Have you considered using the skills you have acquired but in a different way? Perhaps a automotive tool shop (mgmt/sales) or something like that? Just an idea... :)

Check the circus. I know they always need good animal trainers. Wellll, no. Never mind that one.

Sorry he pulled the rug out, Mike. No good advice, but I'll come over to Rog and Deb's with you and help you eat.

Man, really sorry to hear this bad news. I have a lot to say about your situation, but let me start with some of the biggies.

First, you need to do some personal assessment and decide if you want more of the same or if you want something different.

The rules of engagement have changed since '73, the business world has evolved in strange ways, many I'm not sure are better. One of my professional challenges has been hiring people. I'm sure I have interviewed literally thousands of people and in doing so have learned a lot about the interviewing process from both sides. No matter what path you choose you need to be able to present yourself well, both with a good resume and personal presentation. You have been frozen in one situation where your development has been under one profession. The way you have learned about your business and your field is from the people around you. Unless you have taken outside courses or done something to diversify your work experience you can't be better than your bosses because they are the only ones you learned from. On the other hand, when you have done one set of jobs for as long as you have, you get good in ways that make you quick to accurately evaluate the situation and make wise decisions that a newbie can't.

At the very least you need to take advantage of what ever services your unemployment department makes available. They will be able to help you in all aspects of self evaluation, resume writing, presentation and leveraging your skill sets. These services are normally free. They will have job searching resources and career path assistance. You will probably find some reassurance and confidence building in this kind of help. You may want to look for more professional job counseling to supplement or replace the unemployment services.

You have a tough row to hoe, you need to get your butt in gear and get to the help that is available ASAP so you have time to work to a plan and not out of desperation. Best wishes and good luck! Try not to let this little inconvenience take time away from riding your FJR, a content and happy person is predisposed to be successful.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey....maybe Teri could start working double shifts at the hospital. :unsure:

Just trying to help! :huh:
You sound like my husband. That's NOT helpful :glare:

I'm sorry to hear this news, Mike. Sounds as though you have some back-up skills, though.

FWIW, every end is a new beginning

After 32 years with the same company, I find myself unemployed.
One other thing - networking. I'm sure over the past 32 years you have made contacts within the industry. Reach out to those that you admire/respect, who know your work ethic and skill set, and let them know your situation. Having a contact within a company who can put in a word for you can really help get your foot in the door. :)

Mike, I'm very sorry to hear this. I have been laid off in down economies several times in my career, and it's always very upsetting and scary. Here's some short-term advice:

1. Apply immediately for unemployment insurance. Just do it. Now.
  2. Take some time off, like a month. Just relax and decide you're not going to worry about a job for now. Hell, it's a tough time to job search anyway during the Holidays.
  3. But one thing you should do right away is to come up with a home financial plan to tide you over 6 months or more. Once you've got that figured out, you take a lot of the stress off job searching.
  4. Once you decide to start your job search, your new job is to find a job. So treat it like a job: Get up at 6:30, eat, shower, get dressed, and report to your home office. Take a lunch break at noon, then continue till 5 and stop.
  5. Your first activities during your new job-hunting job is self-assessment: What are your skills, what skills do you enjoy applying, etc. The best guide to finding a job and doing these self-assessments is the book What Color is Your Parachute.
  6. Get your network going. Join LinkedIn. The way people find jobs is through their network, not sending in resumes on-line. To that end, when you're clear on your job objective (see "Parachute" book), post it here on the Forum to get this network working for you. Once we know what you're looking for, we can start to think who we know in that biz.

Slow and steady wins the race. You're gonna be fine. And oh yes, although it is a cliche, it is true: The new job turns out to be a better direction. Let me know how I can help.

Hans

Last edited by a moderator:
not to take wind out of your sales, but this past Sunday's story on 60 minutes makes me shake for my working stiff friends...unemployment is actually double the 9% when factoring those no longer looking for work or the great masses of underemployed...and many many have exhausted their 99 weeks of unemployment checks and have suffered great diminished lifestyle they were used to.

most all employment available is retail or services...medical or education...

so much labor has gone overseas because of the desire for lowered cost

Silicon Valley is dead as a doornail with San Jose having the highest unemployment around

you might consider just taking a job in your field at some point and then consider looking for a change of field

wish and prayer for your all success, :)

Mike

Big thank you to everyone.

I have filed for unemployment online.

I can survive with a tight budget for the next 6 months.

I have a list of things to do around the house.

I will wake every morning like I am heading to work.

I will work on my physical health as well as my mental attitude.

I will look into new career paths, but if you need help with your bike call me. (I have the time)

I will continue my education with online and evening courses, I need to improve my writing skills.

I will be looking into technical training in the medical field and process technology at local schools.

I will be looking into teaching at a automotive techinal school.

I will not give up my bike, the car will be sold first.

Thanks again for the support.

Mike Whalen

Damn Mike sorry to hear this. You have the right attitude and we will all be rooting for you to find something even better.

Not a good time nor any time is a good time to be unemployed.

Great suggestions; and you have patterned a plan of seemingly good success.

One thing I would suggest is go online and do a career assessment test.

This will give you some insight as to other opportunities that really would

match your interest.

Another avenue is a career counselor; tough these days however they can assist

with career assessments as well and generate some good leads.

Prayers for success.

WL

Good luck, Hycle. Can't add much to the advice already given, but it sounds like you're on the right path - Figuring ways to leverage your car knowledge into a related job of some sort.

Once you get the financial picture sorted for the next several months, I think JB's advice to take a month and chill is spot-on. You'll be much 'hungrier' to be back at a regular job and almost certainly more enthusiastic about jumping in than you would be if you went to an interview tomorrow.