unemployed in California

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I din't dew nuthin'. I jiss new tew peeple each who hadda knead. I jiss put'em to a place they kus noe ta' uther en sea whut happins.

Hycle-cycle diddit all bye his own bad seff......muss be a purdy smart guy dat kud dew whut them uther fokes need.

Mike, I'm very sorry to hear this. I have been laid off in down economies several times in my career, and it's always very upsetting and scary. Here's some short-term advice:

1. Apply immediately for unemployment insurance. Just do it. Now.
  2. Take some time off, like a month. Just relax and decide you're not going to worry about a job for now. Hell, it's a tough time to job search anyway during the Holidays.
  3. But one thing you should do right away is to come up with a home financial plan to tide you over 6 months or more. Once you've got that figured out, you take a lot of the stress off job searching.
  4. Once you decide to start your job search, your new job is to find a job. So treat it like a job: Get up at 6:30, eat, shower, get dressed, and report to your home office. Take a lunch break at noon, then continue till 5 and stop.
  5. Your first activities during your new job-hunting job is self-assessment: What are your skills, what skills do you enjoy applying, etc. The best guide to finding a job and doing these self-assessments is the book What Color is Your Parachute.
  6. Get your network going. Join LinkedIn. The way people find jobs is through their network, not sending in resumes on-line. To that end, when you're clear on your job objective (see "Parachute" book), post it here on the Forum to get this network working for you. Once we know what you're looking for, we can start to think who we know in that biz.

Slow and steady wins the race. You're gonna be fine. And oh yes, although it is a cliche, it is true: The new job turns out to be a better direction. Let me know how I can help.

Hans

Mike,

Misery doesn't ALWAYS love company.

I have two more nights to work, then I am leaving the company I have worked at for almost 15 years.

They are closing this plant due to poor demand for building wire and transmission cable, and alleged foreign competition.

The bad: Unemployment in this County is very high; The only local companies that need Industrial Electricians are

wood products companies that are laying off, cutting shifts, or just closing.

I'll be 55 in a couple of months and don't know if I want/am able to keep doing this work.

(Shift work makes you old before your time.)

The good: I get severance pay until June and we qualify for a federal re-training program.

I can stay on unemployment and have school paid for, as long as I can convince them I can get a job when through

with school. I'm trying to come up with something that will let me stay in this area.

There is a lot of good advice here. I don't know about in California, but the Employment Office in Oregon is a good resource

for career counseling and testing, plus job search and resume skills. Unfortunately, here in Oregon, they have a lot of experience.

Hang in there, two fabulous FJR riders like us are sure to be in high demand!

Let me know if I can help.

John

Mike,

I second JB's suggestion of reading the Parachute book. I did and it changed my life as I ended up flying helicopters for 20 years. That book really helped me hone in on what I was good at and what I really wanted to do. You have a positive attitude so my advice is to figure out what it is you want to do and go for it! I did and I was never sorry I took the chance. Good luck!

John

Mike, come to ripley, tn and i'll teach ya the hardware/lumber biz . i'll hire ya. you have to be a hell of lot smarter than the folks around here

Thank you, everyone here has helped me get through my unemployment.

A special thanks to MM2 for introducing me to his neighbor.

With their help I was able to get an interview and now have a job.

I start work Monday morning as an automotive instructor in Sacramento. :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo:

If it wasn't for the social contacts made on the forum, I would still be unemployed.

If it wasn't for the great friends here I might have gone down a different road. :(

This forum and all here rock. :yahoo: :yahoo:
Mike, I had not seen this post until tonight. What a wonderful and great place this forum is! I had comments for each and every, but now, thankfully, those comments are moot!
But then again, Mikey, uhh, Mr. H, if you want to come and visit the Hondarosa and spend one day fixing the FJR links while the gals go and and have facials or manicures or whatever the fook they do, then spend the next day riding some great roads? I pay shop wages and provide food, booze, moozic for free!

in honor of Tim, :fuck:

Don

I just saw this thread Mike. As with everybody else I am happy for you and wish you a great future in your new job! Cudos to MM2 for keeping you in mind...

Thank you, everyone here has helped me get through my unemployment.

A special thanks to MM2 for introducing me to his neighbor.

With their help I was able to get an interview and now have a job.

I start work Monday morning as an automotive instructor in Sacramento. :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo:

If it wasn't for the social contacts made on the forum, I would still be unemployed.

If it wasn't for the great friends here I might have gone down a different road. :(

This forum and all here rock. :yahoo: :yahoo:
About time ya lazy, former unemployed bum :lol:

Who's gonna finish the painting now :rolleyes:

Great to see ya both today. :)

That's awesome news Mike. I think it's great that this forum is so versatile. Have fun teaching. It should be a great challenge.

Going from turning wrenches to turning young minds, good call Mr. Hycle.
Congrats on the teaching gig! :clapping:

Here's my prejoritized grading system FYI.

"A" students have teaching potential.

"B" students will become practitioners.

"C" students? Well, they will ALL become millionaires.

Maybe you can use this info in the future?

Last edited by a moderator:
Good news, Mike! Less than 6 months, so you hopefully haven't used up all your reserve- That helps w/the pressures of life! I'm sure you'll help create some good mechanics for the future, and give you the opportunity to see that world from a different point of view. Good luck!

James

Latest posts