USA Gen I Ignition Switch Failure

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Double-check that. Yamaha part numbers usually have three digits followed by five and then two sets of double digits at the end. The first double digit group will give you the revision number. The second/last two should refer to the color/finish of the part which isn't in play here. Just as an example 5JW-82501-20-00 tells you it's the second revision of the switch but again, do your due diligence.
You are correct -- for model specific parts. The first 3 digits are the original model code that part was designed for. If the part is redesigned for a different model, but will still fit the original model, then the parts catalog for the original will be updated with the superseding part number and the original number discarded.

The next group of 5 define the part itself. The first 3 characters of that group indicating general section and areas of the group, the 4th and 5th identifying the specific part within that group. A "W" is used as the first character of this group to indicate a factory assembled kit that differs from production.

Digit 9 indicates a change or variation to the original (eg: valve shim thickness) and the 10th indicates the number of times the design has changed. The last two indicate finish or colour variations.

That said, Yamaha "9 series" part numbers are common too. Yamaha calls them "Interchangeable" parts -- usually COT (commercial off the shelf) items like bolts, bearings etc. Digits 2 and 3 are type identifiers, 4 and 5 are material/finish identifiers, 6 through 10 encode shape or size and the final 2 are just 0s to pad the number out to 12 digits.

But Mother Yamaha does not always follow her own rules. I doubt the ignition switch is COT and would have thought the part number for the recall kit would be a "W" number. Something like "xxx-W2501-xx-00". Maybe the eBay clones have become so prevalent that Yamaha just buys them from the Chinese factory now? <lol>

Just know this, my Ignition Relay Harness will not fix a failing ignition switch. It will only protect a healthy ignition switch by re-directing the large amperage into a 70 amp capacity relay. The ignition switch still needs to function properly in order to trigger the relay.

Brodie
🙂

Just know this, my Ignition Relay Harness will not fix a failing ignition switch. It will only protect a healthy ignition switch by re-directing the large amperage into a 70 amp capacity relay. The ignition switch still needs to function properly in order to trigger the relay.

Brodie
🙂
Yep yep.

Just wanting to protect whatever ends up going back in.