V-Max vs FJR

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chiefj48

Reaction score
hi all,

i've been toying around with the idea of getting a V-Max. i've been watching them for quite a long time, but never pulled the trigger. has anyone on this forum tried the two? what would be a good year V-Max used, or do you feel the '08's are the way to go?

thanks,

joe

Joe, I moved up to an FJR from a Vmax. The Max's are great straight line and mild twisty bikes. They kind of handle like bricks, but you can muscle them into hard turns. I really loved my Max. For short runs, it's the ultimate light to light bruiser. Highway travel isn't too bad, but the gas milage will make you long for the FJR. As for used, I would suggest anything from 97 to present. As for an 08', it's not solid that 08' will bring a new design. Yamaha has been teasing the Vmax community for a few years now with the promise of a new bike and as of late, they are laying it on thick.

If they do bring out the new Max for 08', you can bet your ass it will be as exspensive as an FJR. Which is me is a major drawback, but to each their own. The new max according to leaked specs and such will be a monster if it ever comes to fruition. Dsiplacement will be going from 1200cc to 1800cc along with a whole new vboost system. If you're looking for a nice bargin Max, shoot for anything besides new. I will be buying another vmax as soon as I can make room for another bike. If you have any specific questions, feel free to hit me up. My personal feeling is that a Max is a great backup bike to an FJR. It's everything the FJR isn't. It's rude, crude, brutal, loud and looks mean just sitting still. To me the FJR is refined, quiet, even tempered and built for the twisties.

Last edited:
Joe, I moved up to an FJR from a Vmax. The Max's are great straight line and mild twisty bikes. They kind of handle like bricks, but you can muscle them into hard turns. I really loved my Max. For short runs, it's the ultimate light to light bruiser. Highway travel isn't too bad, but the gas milage will make you long for the FJR. As for used, I would suggest anything from 97 to present. As for an 08', it's not solid that 08' will bring a new design. Yamaha has been teasing the Vmax community for a few years now with the promise of a new bike and as of late, they are laying it on thick.
If they do bring out the new Max for 08', you can bet your ass it will be as exspensive as an FJR. Which is me is a major drawback, but to each their own. The new max according to leaked specs and such will be a monster if it ever comes to fruition. Dsiplacement will be going from 1200cc to 1800cc along with a whole new vboost system. If you're looking for a nice bargin Max, shoot for anything besides new. I will be buying another vmax as soon as I can make room for another bike. If you have any specific questions, feel free to hit me up. My personal feeling is that a Max is a great backup bike to an FJR. It's everything the FJR isn't. It's rude, crude, brutal, loud and looks mean just sitting still. To me the FJR is refined, quiet, even tempered and built for the twisties.

if they come out with an 1800cc, that would be the bike for me! why do you say '97 or later for a used max? why did you sell your max, and why are you looking to buy another one?

i have a few bikes, most are old harleys, and indians. the FJR is in a different league, and a blast to ride. i have a friend that has an '06, and we head up towards bear mountain, n.y. we've been trying to head up to new england, but the weather hasn't been working with us.

how is the seating position, as compared to the FJR? is it faster light, to light then the FJR? i've always wanted to get one since they came out in '85, and i see one in my garage soon.

I traded in my '98 V -Max for my '06 FJR. With the mods I had done on it, my Max was noticeably faster in s straight line than the FJR. However, the FJR is way better in the turns, and more refined overall.

The best description I have heard for a V-Max is that it is a "Point and Shoot" bike. Straight line was a blast, and there is no question the bike scared the CRAP out of me a few times.

I traded the Max in because I wanted something more comfortable, and something that had some storage capacity. Another HUGE thing I hated about the Max was that it doesn't have a gas gauge, only a light. Pushing a 600 pound bike SUCKS! Actually the Max has a good speedo, and all the other lights or gauges suck. A lot of people change out to after market gauges if you are going to push red-line often.

Unless you are just going to ride around town, make sure you get an after-market seat. The stock seat BLOWS!

Those are the negatives; the positive is POWER! If you do a few mods, a Max will scream I was a proud owner of "The Ultimate Hooligan Bike."

Last edited by a moderator:
I traded in my '98 V -Max for my '06 FJR. With the mods I had done on it, my Max was noticeably faster in s straight line than the FJR. However, the FJR is way better in the turns, and more refined overall.
The best description I have heard for a V-Max is that it is a "Point and Shoot" bike. Straight line was a blast, and there is no question the bike scared the CRAP out of me a few times.

I traded the Max in because I wanted something more comfortable, and something that had some storage capacity. Another HUGE thing I hated about the Max was that it doesn't have a gas gauge, only a light. Pushing a 600 pound bike SUCKS! Actually the Max has a good speedo, and all the other lights or gauges suck. A lot of people change out to after market gauges if you are going to push red-line often.

Unless you are just going to ride around town, make sure you get an after-market seat. The stock seat BLOWS!

Those are the negatives; the positive is POWER! If you do a few mods, a Max will scream I was a proud owner of "The Ultimate Hooligan Bike."

would you buy another V-Max?

The reason I say 97' or newer is that around 97' The beefed up the front forks and a few other bits to help with stability. The reason I sold my max and will be looking for another is that I'm all out of garage and driveway space. 2 bikes and 6 cars fills things up pretty well. However, once I build a new garage, that will mean more space for another Vmax. Like I said, I loved it, but needed something better for longer rides. 112 miles to the tank if you take it nice and easy isn't much fun. And yes, the stock seat blows (as mentioned). I've also found that the first gen Corbin seat for the Vmax blows almost just as much. after 250 miles, my ass just couldn't take the saddle anymore.

Lik trigger mentioned, guage location on the Vmax leaves some to be desired. All the idiot lights and the ity-bity tach are in a small cluster located on the faux-tank. Not in the line of sight where they should be. Speedo is accurate and in the right spot however.

Have to also hand it to Trigger, the max is very much a point and shoot. It will beat the fjr off the line but then it becomes a race of which rider knows how to finess the power from their given bike better. V-boost is a awesome thing to experience and play with. It kicks in at around 6200rpms and is like lighting an afterburner behind the bike. Beware of two things with V-boost. It's highly addictive and it will drain the gas tank quicker then you can fill it. A hard run of mostly Vboost netted me around 18mpg for a tank. But damn it was fun.

Joe,

I came to the FJR from a 06 v-max. Max is an excellent machine & a hoot, but give me the FJR any day and twice on Sunday. I traded the Max after my third long trip on it (but had 16k on it at that point) because it's a pita trying to fuel it if you're carrying soft saddle bags & a tail bag. I found it to be an adequate cruiser two up. If you are hell bent on getting one, get a late model used. Or if you are like me, wait until the updated, redesigned version appears in 08 or 09. I will come up with some way to afford it & rationalize it to the SO if Yamaha actually produces one that can go around a corner. If you do get one of the current models, the first thing on your list should be installing Progressive springs in the front forks.

-Andrew

Joe,
I came to the FJR from a 06 v-max. Max is an excellent machine & a hoot, but give me the FJR any day and twice on Sunday. I traded the Max after my third long trip on it (but had 16k on it at that point) because it's a pita trying to fuel it if you're carrying soft saddle bags & a tail bag. I found it to be an adequate cruiser two up. If you are hell bent on getting one, get a late model used. Or if you are like me, wait until the updated, redesigned version appears in 08 or 09. I will come up with some way to afford it & rationalize it to the SO if Yamaha actually produces one that can go around a corner. If you do get one of the current models, the first thing on your list should be installing Progressive springs in the front forks.

-Andrew
hey andrew,

thanks for your reply. i wouldn't say i'm hell bent on getting it, but i have been watching them for quite some time. i can't believe it only gets 18mpg when you get on it. my ROUSH mustang gets better mpg then that.

joe

The reason I say 97' or newer is that around 97' The beefed up the front forks and a few other bits to help with stability. The reason I sold my max and will be looking for another is that I'm all out of garage and driveway space. 2 bikes and 6 cars fills things up pretty well. However, once I build a new garage, that will mean more space for another Vmax. Like I said, I loved it, but needed something better for longer rides. 112 miles to the tank if you take it nice and easy isn't much fun. And yes, the stock seat blows (as mentioned). I've also found that the first gen Corbin seat for the Vmax blows almost just as much. after 250 miles, my ass just couldn't take the saddle anymore.
Lik trigger mentioned, guage location on the Vmax leaves some to be desired. All the idiot lights and the ity-bity tach are in a small cluster located on the faux-tank. Not in the line of sight where they should be. Speedo is accurate and in the right spot however.

Have to also hand it to Trigger, the max is very much a point and shoot. It will beat the fjr off the line but then it becomes a race of which rider knows how to finess the power from their given bike better. V-boost is a awesome thing to experience and play with. It kicks in at around 6200rpms and is like lighting an afterburner behind the bike. Beware of two things with V-boost. It's highly addictive and it will drain the gas tank quicker then you can fill it. A hard run of mostly Vboost netted me around 18mpg for a tank. But damn it was fun.
would you wait for the updated model, or would you get another used bike? i enjoy my FJR, and have a blast riding it. i guess i really wanted to know if the Max would be able to compete with it. 112 miles between gas stations doesn't sound like fun, and if your telling me 18mpg lows, WOW that doesn't get you too far. my ROUSH mustang gets 27mpg hiway, and around 20 city, but thats not beating on it. i never really checked it when i've blasted it.

I have a friend who has a 1985 Vmax, and has owned it since early 1986. It and the FJR are the only bikes he has had in the stable for many years.

It's an amazing model with a very loyal following, with good reason.

As much as anyone can try and explain the Vmax feel and experience, the only way to truly understand one is to saddle up on it. The grunt of the V4 is signature, and yes, very much the ultimate 'hooligan' torquemonsterbike. When you crack the throttle and it digs in and launches you...Very cool and unique feeling.

This man, John Furbur, is regarded by many as sort of a Vmax 'guru'. Interesting man, huge love of the model, and hugely friendly. Check out his site!!

There are pics of suped up Vmaxes and he also lists bikes for sale if you are interested in used.

Blue Ridge Mountain Sportmax

**EDIT**

I am waiting to see what the 25th Anniversary model will look like. If it is much like the original, I will be writing a cheque. If not, I think I will be looking for a mint 20th Anniversary model. Some aspects of the fantasy model Yamaha is parading around as a prototype for a reworked Vmax I like, but the butt ugly can they have hanging off it is a deal breaker for me.

My old man had a 98 Vmax and was the moto I learned to ride on. Did trips to upstate NY, mtns in CO, and Arkansas with madmax and put about 15k miles on the bike. Probably not your best training bike but I loved the vmax ever since I hit that start button. At idle it sounds really cool. Throttle operation is really smooth compared to the fjr (fjr is a little abrupt IMHO). Even before you hit the vboost she has lots of power. Once you do hit that vboost - as mentioned earlier its like kicking on the afterburners; very addicting! I would think the FJR and Vmax both have similar 0-60 and 1/4 mile numbers. In a straight line its just more fun with the vmax. An awesome feeling when you get that extra kick in the pants :D . However she eats up rear tires pretty quick.

Once you hit the twisties the fjr leaves the vmax behind. The vmax that I rode had an aftermarket seat and some sort of frame brace put on (to make her more ridgid I guess). She wasn't god-awful in the twisties but certainly no canyon-carver like the fjr. The vmax probably handled the twisties better than any harley - I'd say the vmax handled a little better than a v-rod. She loves to go straight and you really do have to lean to get her to turn. In the twisty bits one thing I did notice that I didn't like was that when you are in the middle of a turn, and if you decelerate the rear end tends to slightly swerve from side to side which can be a little scary. But as you already know she is a muscle bike.

Front brakes are more "mushy" compared to the fjr. Somewhere along the line the front forks started leaking and getting shock oil on the front brake pads making them way more mushier. Front light not very powerful compared to fjr. If you are in gridlock traffic you will notice your legs starting to cook as that monsterous v-4 is a furnace if you are not moving.

As mentioned previously the tach is on the gas tank which isn't the best place especially after the vboost kicks in and need to know where redline is. Gas cap is in b/w front and passenger seat which is a little weird. Gas tank is smaller so you'll be filling up more often. No gas gauge - just to be safe I filled her up after about 90-100miles on the odometer.

You don't have to get an 08 as the design and mods haven't changed much from 97(mostly the same bike since 1985). I don't know when the new design is coming in 2008 or 2012 but you might want to wait if you want 1800cc. Overall I really enjoyed the vmax and if I had extra funds I'd probably have one in my garage alongside the fjr. I think the vmax still looks really cool and that v-4 sure makes its presence known.

I presently own an '02 V-Max and an '07 FJR. They come from, and belong in, two completely different worlds. While the FJR is probably the ultimate sports touring bike, the V falls in a world of its own. I have added fork and frame braces to stiffen up the bike a little and improve handling and added a T-Boost switch which will cut in the V-boost at 3000 rpm instead of 6,200. The only problem is that the last time I forgot and left it on, I had a fuel warning light at 67 miles.

As to which is the better bike, I think it is not fair to compare the two against each other. The V is for around town (bar to bar if that's your choice), and the FJR for going from A to B and having lots of fun while doing it. I agree with others that you should look for a V in the 1998 up range and go by what kind of a deal you can get and the condition of the bike. It's easy to run a compression test on the V, but heaven help you if you have to service the battery. In general though, the V is much easier to service and work on 'cause you don't have to undo a ton of plastic fairings.

Have fun! :clapping:

I have a friend who has a 1985 Vmax, and has owned it since early 1986. It and the FJR are the only bikes he has had in the stable for many years.
It's an amazing model with a very loyal following, with good reason.

As much as anyone can try and explain the Vmax feel and experience, the only way to truly understand one is to saddle up on it. The grunt of the V4 is signature, and yes, very much the ultimate 'hooligan' torquemonsterbike. When you crack the throttle and it digs in and launches you...Very cool and unique feeling.

This man, John Furbur, is regarded by many as sort of a Vmax 'guru'. Interesting man, huge love of the model, and hugely friendly. Check out his site!!

There are pics of suped up Vmaxes and he also lists bikes for sale if you are interested in used.

Blue Ridge Mountain Sportmax

**EDIT**

I am waiting to see what the 25th Anniversary model will look like. If it is much like the original, I will be writing a cheque. If not, I think I will be looking for a mint 20th Anniversary model. Some aspects of the fantasy model Yamaha is parading around as a prototype for a reworked Vmax I like, but the butt ugly can they have hanging off it is a deal breaker for me.
thanks barb, joeR6, and abarron576

Would I buy another V-max? BET YOUR ASS! If I could have come up with a few extra grand, I wouldn't have traded the Max in on the FJR.

Funny the issue of working on the max came up. I was changing the spark plugs on the FJR today, and replacing the air filter, and was thinking how easy the Max was to work on. I could change the air filter, oil, oil filter, final gear oil, and plugs on the Max in well under an hour. Several hours on the FJR. Part of that is my learning about the FJR, part is current technology vs. 20 year old technology, and part of that is all the body panels.

One other draw back to the Max is the complete lack of tires for it. You are WAY limited in your choices. I know of only one tire that is still available, but there might be one or two others. Nothing like the FJR though.

Add me to the list.

I came off a 1983 XJ900 SECA, and a 1986 V-Max. The Max was owned by Jorma Kaukonen, formerly of Hot Tuna and Jefferson Airplane fame. this guy

The bike had milled heads and F1 slipons, among a ton of things I did to it myself. It ran best on race fuel. Oh that smallblock Chevy sound!!

This is me running it at Raceway Park in Englishtown NJ in '97. (this is a photo of a 2X3 framed poster I had made)

VmaxburnoutEnglishtown.jpg

As stated before, there's no comparison of the two. The Max delivers power like a lightswitch. Get on it and it pulls your arms HARD. But it also signs off quicker, and gets REAL squirrely at speeds the FJR feels at home with.

IMHO, THE ULTIMATE boulevard cruiser. I have another '85 sitting in the yard, but it hasn't run in about 5 yrs. No title, rusty, etc. It's going on eBay soon.

But one of these days I WILL get another '85 model. They detuned them slightly after the '86 model.

If memory serves me correctly, it was in '93, NOT '97 that they beefed up the front suspension. Every year after that they were identical except for paint.

Would I buy another V-max? BET YOUR ASS! If I could have come up with a few extra grand, I wouldn't have traded the Max in on the FJR.
Funny the issue of working on the max came up. I was changing the spark plugs on the FJR today, and replacing the air filter, and was thinking how easy the Max was to work on. I could change the air filter, oil, oil filter, final gear oil, and plugs on the Max in well under an hour. Several hours on the FJR. Part of that is my learning about the FJR, part is current technology vs. 20 year old technology, and part of that is all the body panels.

One other draw back to the Max is the complete lack of tires for it. You are WAY limited in your choices. I know of only one tire that is still available, but there might be one or two others. Nothing like the FJR though.
the thing i like the most about the V-Max, is that it has CARBS, instead of FI. every one of my bikes have a carb except my FJR. with the surging problem, i'm second guessing my choise of getting the FI bike. after seeing first hand how many problems ALL the FI bikes have had, i make sure to stay away from them. i felt that, with a four cylinder how bad could the FI be on a Yamaha. i remember honda coming out with FI on the goldwings around '85 or '86. i felt if it was so great honda would have kept it on the bikes, but instead they went back to carbs.

i guess i'm just ol'school,

Add me to the list. I came off a 1983 XJ900 SECA, and a 1986 V-Max. The Max was owned by Jorma Kaukonen, formerly of Hot Tuna and Jefferson Airplane fame. this guy

The bike had milled heads and F1 slipons, among a ton of things I did to it myself. It ran best on race fuel. Oh that smallblock Chevy sound!!

This is me running it at Raceway Park in Englishtown NJ in '97. (this is a photo of a 2X3 framed poster I had made)

VmaxburnoutEnglishtown.jpg

As stated before, there's no comparison of the two. The Max delivers power like a lightswitch. Get on it and it pulls your arms HARD. But it also signs off quicker, and gets REAL squirrely at speeds the FJR feels at home with.

IMHO, THE ULTIMATE boulevard cruiser. I have another '85 sitting in the yard, but it hasn't run in about 5 yrs. No title, rusty, etc. It's going on eBay soon.

But one of these days I WILL get another '85 model. They detuned them slightly after the '86 model.

If memory serves me correctly, it was in '93, NOT '97 that they beefed up the front suspension. Every year after that they were identical except for paint.
hey randy,

great picture! too bad you didn't keep the bike. i can't see myself trading in a bike, when i know i could get more for it on the street! i hate the way dealers beat you up when trading in a bike.

why don't you keep the '85, and restore it?

joe

joe
That's exactly what I had in mind. The usual things got in the way....time and money. Not to mention at least 5 small Honda minibike projects first in line. Plus it was abandoned at my friend's bike shop which means no title. That right there stalled me on the project.

And anyway, who has time to restore a bike when I have my FJR to ride? :yahoo: :lol:

I'd rather just find another '85 that doesn't need a full restore. I was hoping to find one with a blown motor because this one was running fine when it was left there.

joe
That's exactly what I had in mind. The usual things got in the way....time and money. Not to mention at least 5 small Honda minibike projects first in line. Plus it was abandoned at my friend's bike shop which means no title. That right there stalled me on the project.

And anyway, who has time to restore a bike when I have my FJR to ride? :yahoo: :lol:

winters coming, and in the northeast, you will have plenty of time to restore it my brother.