V-strom Handguards

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Any ideas on an installation workaround for those of us that use a throttlemeister?
It *might* be possible to configure the 2004 and onward V-Strom Hand Guards with the Throttlemeister, but I'd need to experiment on a bike so equipped to actually find out if it can be done.

Otherwise... the 2003 Suzuki V-Strom Hand Guards will work just fine on a FJR using a Throttlemeister.

Any ideas on an installation workaround for those of us that use a throttlemeister?
It *might* be possible to configure the 2004 and onward V-Strom Hand Guards with the Throttlemeister, but I'd need to experiment on a bike so equipped to actually find out if it can be done.

Otherwise... the 2003 Suzuki V-Strom Hand Guards will work just fine on a FJR using a Throttlemeister.
Keep us posted if you find a donor bike, as I would like to spring for a set. If the piece that normally needs to clamped at the bar end can just rest in a groove, then I will machine one in the OD of the right TM.

I just got off the phone with Glen in Sunnyside and he thinks it should work so I ordered a set. I'll let you know of the outcome.

let us all know if it works!!!

i just bought a pair of the 'old' ones, but will return them

if the new ones work w/the throttlemeister

It may take a few weeks. Glen is temporarily out of stock then has to ship them across country to "Joisey."

I just got off the phone with Glen in Sunnyside and he thinks it should work so I ordered a set. I'll let you know of the outcome.
I sprung for some late yesterday as well, due in within a week. From the description given from FJRGoodies, it sounds as though the handguard is secured pretty rigid at the handle bar, so even if it is only resting in the area of the TM, thats good enough for me.

For me the $55.00 risk is well worth it. Only time will tell I guess. :huh:

I just got my handguards from Glen. No instructions. Can you brothers help a retard out? :)

Yup, WC is the reason I bought the guards. Not much detail at that link, however, when it comes to where I'm supposed to put my nuts. And bolts. And washers. This tard needs to know where to put that stuff. :D

Edit:

With the help of my friend "Dremel", all is installed and all is well.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yup, WC is the reason I bought the guards.  Not much detail at that link, however, when it comes to where I'm supposed to put my nuts.  And bolts.  And washers.  This tard needs to know where to put that stuff.  :D
This tard also!

I have had my kit for months, but now that it is finally getting below 70 degrees here in desert hell (at night :D ), I am freezing my precious boys off!

So what are all the damn screws and washers for, and where do they go?

Last edited by a moderator:
Remove bar ends and mod guard clip 'opening' as per Warchild's handguard farkle

The long bolts replace the pivot bolts for the clutch and front break levers.

The guard is then mounted to the new bolts ( Bolt threads through holes in guard)

put on washers and then tighten nuts.

Replace barends, note you may have to shorten the grip slightly to accommodate the thickness of the clip

Sorry about that, gentlemen.... I tend to write my FJRTech articles such that they ASSume a minimum amount of mechanical aptitude on the part of the reader. They're not really written at the 'Tard level. :D

However, y'all do have a point here; I'll try to re-write that article with greater detail during my spare time. Whenever that happens... :blink:

SHeesh, sounds like some of you guys need to pack your FJR back into it's crate and send it back to Yamaha, with a little note explaining you are too thick to own the bike.

:D

Skippy

Makes me realise how so much easier the BMW GS guards were to fit - with very clear instructions! Highly recommend them and much cheaper than the V Strom I understand :rolleyes:

Paul

01 fjr

uk

Yeah I still haven't figured out how to use the sidestand. I just prop the bike up against the wall in my garage like I used to do with my Schwinn! :fie:

I actually sacrificed the barend attachment of my v-strom guards and it works fine for my throttlemeister.v-strom handguard without barend attachment
+1 on the hand guard fitting with the TM. The only thing I different than what I see in the linked photo is I trimmed the plastic to fit between the TM and grip, so it looks like it's fastened. Even though it is not locked down in this position, it is still plenty rigid for the required task.

Now I have to wait for a cold day to test.

Thanks to whoever figured out this setup. :good: WC?