Vacuum canister for Audiovox Cruise

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fjrb0

Reaction score
Installing the audiovox cruise, built the little canister out of PVC pipe. Attached a mity vac to the barb to make sure it wasn't leaking, but getting a real slow leak. I pressurized the assembly and the leak appears to come out around the threads on the brass fitting going into the PVC. Very slow leak. Does that have to 100% as I think it does? I've tried teflon tape, more teflon tape, less teflon tape. Might try good pipe dope if it has to be 100%.

Comments/ suggestions?

And no, you can't have any of my pipe dope....

How about just using some PVC cement? It'll melt and weld the barb and pipe into a single unit.

You do NOT want a vacuum leak, albeit a small one. Small leaks always turn in to large ones, and a vac leak's gonna make doing a TBS pretty much useless, ain't it?

Interesting choice of materials. I used a simple Radio Shack ABS plastic project box. Thinner, lighter, rectangular so I could get as much internal volume as possible in a given amount of space.

There's really no need to use a tubular or heavy duty canister. Max pressure is < 15 psi and the tubular shape wastes a lot of space.

HOWEVER, RadioHowie is right. Just remove the fitting, dope it with some glue, and reattach the fitting. The leak will stop once the glue sets.

Use a fuel filter, Wix# 33028, Napa 3028. Airtight, compact, perfect. Use 1 check valve 214-479 Delco to one port, durable, relatively inexpensive, perfect. I have done many installs with this combo.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh come on, guys....epoxy; anaerobic sealant; pipe dope; whale gizz.

It's PVC fer Crissakes....just use PVC adhesive. Don't re-invent the freakin' wheel!

Last edited by a moderator:
Use a fuel filter, Wix# 33028, Napa 3028. Airtight, compact, perfect. Use 1 check valve 214-479 Delco to one port, durable, relatively inexpensive, perfect. I have done many installs with this combo.
Have you ever used these items for setup on an AE?

I have a 2006 AE and I've just ordered the AVCC after experiencing that the Vista-Cruise won't work for me due to the heated grips.

Unfortunately, I learned after I ordered the darn thing, that the install of the AVCC on an AE is supposed to be real tough. I understand that it's so tough, Smitty, who I've learned is a renowned expert of installing the AVCC, won't install them anymore on AEs. I also learned that Skyway stop making the control mounts for the AE because Smitty stopped installing on the AE. WHAT A MESS! :glare:

So I've got a cruise control coming that I am a little afraid to even attempt to install and I understand the main issue of installing it is a suitable location to install the servo.