valves shims CAM PHOTO!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mattster31

Reaction score
Pulled my motor...............I was bored.

Anyways, thought I'd do a valve clearance check (104K - kms) Last one was at 57K and they were at the limit.......now.....a bit over

SHIM LIST ADDED

IMG215.jpg

IMG216.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I have an idea regarding this.. Bikergeek bought two shim sets that we'll put to use this spring but there are a shit ton of 'em and likely most will never be used :unsure:

What I'm suggesting is someplace where these "excess" shims could be listed for sale or trade here. I know It might be a long list and would be somewhat time consuming but at least a guy could just pick what he needed from the pile..

Comments?

I have an idea regarding this.. Bikergeek bought two shim sets that we'll put to use this spring but there are a shit ton of 'em and likely most will never be used :unsure:

What I'm suggesting is someplace where these "excess" shims could be listed for sale or trade here. I know It might be a long list and would be somewhat time consuming but at least a guy could just pick what he needed from the pile..

Comments?
Great idea Busta!! Once I pull the cams out and see what the numbers are I will post up what I need. Perhaps a few members might have a one or two. I can get them for $5 online, so it's not too bad......although I do need 16.

Hear ya Matt I think there are 72,345,619 shims in the combined packages... :blink:

I bet 47 won't be needed might better offer 'em up..

[edited] Nevermind... I was thinking in inches, not mm's and thinking the distribution was too wide. It's fine.

Here's a thought...

If you are anywhere near a Yamaha dealer, go to their
service
department with your unwanted shims in hand. They should have a collection from when they do a valve adjust on their customers bikes. The old shims aren't thrown away, see if the service manager will let you swap them out with the correct ones from their collection. I've done this several times and saved a bit of cash. There will be a lot of factory shims in there too, the in-between sizes you can't buy at the parts counter.
smile.gif

Brodie

99.9% of the time the valve clearance will be too small if it is out of tolerance.

I've heard stories of people using fine Wet & Dry sandpaper on a piece of plate glass and sanding their old shims down by a few thousandths.

You'd have to have a micrometer to measure the shim and keep measuring as you polish them down until get the added clearance that you need.

Has anyone here ever done this? I'm sure the shims are hardened. I wonder how tough it would be to gain the clearance to get them back in spec?

99.9% of the time the valve clearance will be too small if it is out of tolerance.

I've heard stories of people using fine Wet & Dry sandpaper on a piece of plate glass and sanding their old shims down by a few thousandths.

You'd have to have a micrometer to measure the shim and keep measuring as you polish them down until get the added clearance that you need.

Has anyone here ever done this? I'm sure the shims are hardened. I wonder how tough it would be to gain the clearance to get them back in spec?
I think I'd rather just buy them..............that's too much work :)

I think I'd rather just buy them..............that's too much work :)
...says the guy who has completely disassembled his entire bike, just for fun!

:p

99.9% of the time the valve clearance will be too small if it is out of tolerance. ...have a micrometer to measure the shim and keep measuring as you polish them down until get the added clearance that you need.

Has anyone here ever done this?
Related: My automotive machine shop (race-engine shop) would, when doing valve/head work on a motorcycle head I brought him, would say (if it where shim & bucket): "I adjusted the valve-stem length so that you'll, probably, be able to use all the same shims."

He was, mostly, always right... :eek:

That's the exact kit that's up at Casa de Bust right now.

And Bust - it's not 2 complete shim kits. It's 1 kit consisting of two boxes with different size shims.
Better make that half a kit...

You put them in the cabinet above the fridge out here and I mistook 'em for my Iron supplements.

It's do-able, but not fun. By the time you're done, you will have lost the finger print and the feeling from at least one finger. It's a sloooooooooow process. I only had to do it with one shim, and I wouldn't want to do it again. BTW, the industry only uses 2 shim diameters TIKO, the 9.48 mm being the most common. All 4 japanese, Husqvarna, Aprilia, build bikes that use 9.48 shims, so don't limit your search to Yamaha dealers.

BTW, the industry only uses 2 shim diameters TIKO
Of course my SV-650 uses one size, and my FJR uses the other. Sigh, ain't it always that way? So I have both kits.
I recently bought the 10mm's kit for the other bike and thought if I needed for the FJR, I would just sand down the diameter .052mm so they will be Universal with a little customization!