Vibration problem fixed

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jsd

Reaction score
Well I would like to thank everyone for all the information (and humor). I joined the forum 2 months ago when I purchased a 2009 fjr. Purchased a windshield, seat, heated honda grips, bar ends. Very happy with the bike, except the hand and peg and mirror vibration at 3500 - 4500 rpm. Retorked everything, synced every way possible. Read the forum for days. I gave up and purchased a 2009 Kawasaki concours last week. No vibrations, only complaint is the seats to high. and of course my right foot just about melted when it got above 90 the other day.

That's certainly one way to remedy the problem. :lol: My other bike is a Honda Valkyrie which has a warmed over Goldwing engine. NO vibration at any RPM.

You should have bought a 2010 Connie, they supposedly fixed all of the heat problems, plus it comes with heated grips standard.

My other bike is a Subaru STi. It doesn't get hot in the summer because it has a/c. Everyone has a way to address those special-to-them aspects of their best bike. For you it was the Conk14. For me it was the AWD/Traction-Control/Turbo/305Hp (with a/c).

Well I would like to thank everyone for all the information (and humor). <snippage>

Read the forum for days. I gave up and purchased a 2009 Kawasaki concours last week. No vibrations, only complaint is the seats to high. and of course my right foot just about melted when it got above 90 the other day.
While those of us who own FJRs and love them would hate to admit it, every bike is not a match with every person. Obviously you were more sensitive than most of us regarding the inherent harmonic vibration (that does exist but can be ameliorated).

Enjoy your new bike! I'm sure the local FJR owners would still welcome you on planned rides.

Last edited by a moderator:
He could of bought a KLR and then he wouldn't notice any problem with the FJR!

Ha Ha! Maybe THAT'S why I never noticed any vibration problems with any of my other bikes after I sold my KLR. :rolleyes:
haven't felt a vibration in any piece of machinery (m/c, 18hp single cyl riding mower, bushhog with bent blade, paint shaker, etc.) since I sold this:

husky.jpg

As long as your still riding thats the main thing!! If you ride A bicycle & proud of it I am proud for you!! However you made A hell of A choice there GREAT bikes I had one at the shop & rode it till I sold it!!

Seems like that was inevitably going to happen.. Some bikes just don't fit some people.

Enjoy the Connie.

:jester:

Same story here only the vibrations were on a 2000 Concours so I bought a FJR. The FJR doesnt vibrate compared to that bike. The old Connie was a great bike except for the vib.

Gotta say, the "solution" cracked me up - I didn't see that one coming. More power to ya.

I put a few hundred miles on the old Feej Sunday morning, before it got too hot in Texas. Gotta say, I don't understand the whole vibration thing. Rolling along on some nice FM roads yesterday, there just isn't any vibration in either the pegs or the bars. Everything you feel comes from the road, nothing from the engine. I think the bike had some buzz when new, but that went away over the first couple thousand miles. Now - nothing. Maybe just sticking with the FJR for a bit would have solved the problem?

Mine vibrated when I first got it. In fact, it was so bad, that the bars would shake when you took your hands off, even for a second.

After getting the wheels dynamically balanced and having the throttle bodies synched, the vibration was gone. Although I would never confuse the FJR with a world class smooth bike, it was quite good.

Mine is gone now too though.... not because of vibration, but because it just kept giving me a chronic, nagging pain in the left hip. I went through numerous seats, numerous seat heights, and the best of the lot was the Sargent in the normal height position, but eventually it bugged me too and the bike was marked to be traded. I think a Russell seat would have been the way to go, but the bike already seemed tall to me.... not so bad as my R1200GS or my Xmoto, but tall enough that I did not want a Russell seat's additional height. On long days, I'd spend most of the ride with my left leg extended, waiting for the next gas stop.

The replacement, a Rocket III Touring, solved the problem entirely. Its like riding your favorite recliner. Between the giant tractor style leather seat, and the floor boards, if you can't get comfy, you'll never get comfy.

There is no such thing as a Swiss Army Knife of bikes, no matter what folks might hope. I am beginning to think that the closest thing is the K1300S with the sport panniers, or maybe the new VFR1200 with bags. I can't speak for the VFR because I have not ridden one, but the K1300S has been surprisingly comfortable, it will pull your arms out of their sockets when asked, it will pull stumps with low end grunt, and it sticks to off camber switchbacks nearly as good as a super moto. If I could only keep one, that's the one I would keep.

Had a chance to look at the 2010 Concours in the stealer. Nice bike and with the improvements I would consider buying one if something happened to my FJR. They are too comparable to trade one for the other. I agree that is one smooth motor since I had the opportunity to ride a ZX-14. Can't beat the low end torque the FJR has though.

Every bike is a compromise.

I must admit the concours was one of the bikes I was eyeing when I bought my FJR. Beautiful bike. It has more of a 'don't mess with me' look compared to the FJR. But the seat height was just too high for me and it looked like more bulk than I could handle.

Congrats on the new ride!

I've still got high pitch engine vibes in my 08 after 14,000 miles. It bugs me, but I'm keeping it. Maybe someday I can figure out how to get it to smooth out some without spending a lot of money. TBS doesn't help. Thought about retorquing the engine mount bolts, but can't seem to find the time.

GP

I have a little over 13kmi on my 09 and i think it vibrates more now than in the past. However i do notice that i feel it more or less depending on the gloves i am wearing.