Vibration problem fixed

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am beginning to think that the closest thing is the K1300S with the sport panniers, or maybe the new VFR1200 with bags. I can't speak for the VFR because I have not ridden one, but the K1300S has been surprisingly comfortable, it will pull your arms out of their sockets when asked, it will pull stumps with low end grunt, and it sticks to off camber switchbacks nearly as good as a super moto. If I could only keep one, that's the one I would keep.
So you have a K1300S? Can you give me more detailed impressions of it? Maintenance schedule, maintenance costs, reliability, reach to bars compared to the FJR? Do you have the ESA? I'm very interested in them, and plan to finally sit on one/test ride one in the next month or two.

There was a Service question in either Cycle World or Motorcyclist a month ago about an '09 FJR and vibration issues. After all the usual items to check, there was a reference given to work GM did a while ago while developing a Corvette, and vibration relate issues. One conclusion was that different people have different tolerances to different kinds of vibration, which has been stated here many times and is rather obviuos too, I guess. But it was interesting to read.

I loved everything about my 08 FJR, except the on and off buzz at higher speeds, and I am one of those with a low tolerance to it. I sold an '85 V65 Sabre after 14 years for the FJR and was surely spoiled by the V4. Funny, I never rode an ST 1300 before buying the FJR because it looked too Gold Wing like for me. But I did ride one a couple months ago finally, the motor seemed like an old firend. I bought an new '10. I'm sure when Yamaha finally does a complete remake, motor and all, it won't buzz anymore.

I was a noobie to the FJR just over a year ago, and installing the PCV took out all the low end vibes, and the vibe at 4300 rpm is much reduced. I did install 905 crash bars which forced me to retorque the engine mounts, but I don't know if that had much effect. Anyway, I think of the 4300 in 5th as a point where you are definitely in performance award territory, and beyond that, well, is it really going to matter? I don't seem to notice as much in the lower gears...... but if you spend a few bucks on the PCV, you might get an improvement you can live with, and overall performance improves too.

I swear to Gawd I sometimes think this forum is like the radio shows I listen to. Some dumb ass caller will call in and lie to the screener and then once their on the radio they talk shit about the other political party of which the show host is.

I bet this guy didn't really ever own an FJR he's just a Kawi sympathizer and wants to talk shit about our bikes.

Go away cry baby, or maybe just stay on your own Kawi site. I swear, bunch of damn whiners.

Maybe you should buy a used Miata and join their club and then talk shit about good old AMERICAN iron.

(I'm new here)

So, this vibration comes on with some throttle, but goes away as you cruise??

That seems to be what I feel, and it doesn't make sense, if a shaft is balanced, a spinning shaft won't vibrate more when power is applied.

Let's see, there's the crank, 2 cams, 2 tranny shafts, an alternator shaft, and a drive shaft.

Which shaft is it?? One of these shafts has the ability to vibrate under load, then NOT vibrate.

(good to hear I'm not tearing anything up)

I was a noobie to the FJR just over a year ago, and installing the PCV took out all the low end vibes, and the vibe at 4300 rpm is much reduced. I did install 905 crash bars which forced me to retorque the engine mounts, but I don't know if that had much effect. Anyway, I think of the 4300 in 5th as a point where you are definitely in performance award territory, and beyond that, well, is it really going to matter? I don't seem to notice as much in the lower gears...... but if you spend a few bucks on the PCV, you might get an improvement you can live with, and overall performance improves too.
I assume you are referring to the Power Commander V. I'd like to get rid of these vibrations without buying a new bike. Does the Power Commander really help?

I assume you are referring to the Power Commander V. I'd like to get rid of these vibrations without buying a new bike. Does the Power Commander really help?
Yes, yes it does.

Does it eliminate vibration? No. But it helps. More importantly, it eliminates throttle snatch and really smooths out small throttle inputs. I paid to have mine custom tuned rather than running a canned map, and I'm really happy with the results.

So you have a K1300S? Can you give me more detailed impressions of it? Maintenance schedule, maintenance costs, reliability, reach to bars compared to the FJR? Do you have the ESA? I'm very interested in them, and plan to finally sit on one/test ride one in the next month or two.
I was surprised at how well I have taken to the K1300S. I had owned a K1200Rsport for 2.5 years previous to acquiring the K1300S, and I did not expect it to be much different. Power delivery and smoothness are very similar. The K1300S improved a whole lot of small subtle things that I did not even realize were issues because I was very happy with the K1200... The cockpit ergonomics represent an improvement to me. The seat represents an improvement. My K1200 was a basic model, and I went with the premium version of the K1300, including ESA.

I had ESA on my 09 R1200GS, and so I was familiar with it. Before I got it in the R1200GS, I considered it to be a gimmick. After having it on the R1200GS, and now again having it on the K1300S, my opinion of it is that it is one more nicety that is a nice touch. My old strategy for dealing with suspension issues was to advance pre-load into the high load range, and then add damping, also into the high range. I usually did some minor adjusting after these initial adjustments, and then rarely touched the suspension again during the life of the bike. ESA has settings for comfort, normal, and sport (soft, normal, stiff, with damping), but then within each category, it also has settings for one rider, one rider and luggage, two riders, two riders with luggage. If you can't find a good setting for your circumstance, it would surprise me. It is not adjustable on the fly. You have to stop to do the adjustment, but it is a push button affair, and so it is easy to take care of it once stopped. There is a noticeable difference between settings. I have settled into the single rider sport position because it seems to me to be the most fun on our twisty roads up and down the Cumberland Plateau. On a longer ride on I-40, I would set it on comfort instead of sport. On my R1200GS, the comfort setting really did reduce my fatigue on longer rides where the goal was racking up miles. Obviously with a manually adjustable suspension you can also make adjustments when you stop to suit your circumstances. ESA just makes it easy, and also gives you a wide range of choices that are repeatable from day to day without keeping a notebook.

Maintenance schedule is simple. 600 mile check. Then 6000 mile or 12 month intervals. I had the FJR serviced at Sloan's in Murfreesboro, TN regularly (owned it for 2 years). I had the K1200Rsport serviced at BMW Triumph Ducati of Daytona Beach (owned it for two and a half years, overlapping the FJR on both ends). Bills were similar. I had my FJR on a 4000 mile service interval. Both dealerships were professional and competent. Both took care of recalls, warranty work, etc. I had some issues with both bikes ... both had ignition switch issues for example, both got remaps. I think the FJR actually had a new ECU on recall. The BMW had a fuel strip, air box, and mirrors. The BMW warranty 3 years or 36,000 miles with 24/7 roadside assistance. This works better for me than the typical Japanese warranty of 1 year unlimited mileage, but I know that the unlimited mileage with the addition of the YES plan from Yamaha is a nice option too. Extended warranties are available for BMWs too, but if you trade bikes as often as I do, you'll never need to buy one.

Reliability? I dunno... all of my modern bikes have been reliable. If you follow the maintenance schedules, and ride each bike several times a month, they all seem to do quite well. The only modern bike I've owned that gave me the heebee jeebees over reliability was my Moto Guzzi Norge. Moto Guzzi was not yet ready for prime time, and I think this is still true. Stuff was falling off that bike and there were issues with engine control, heated grips, windshield, etc. from day one.

If my K1200Rsport had stranded me due to an EWS failure (ignition switch antennae ring) I would have been as angry about it as if my FJR had stranded me due to mechanical failure of its ignition switch. Both were hotly reported on their respective forums, but I was not a victim of either, and had both fixed at my leisure during normally scheduled service appointments. I expect good reliability from the K1300S, and general reports from other riders are positive, but like any marque or bike, there are people who have negative experiences.

Reach to bars and other cockpit ergonomics? Very very different compared to the FJR. The BMW geometry works better for me, all the way to my satisfaction with the stock seat. This has been sort of odd, because I've been wrestling with seat issues on a lot of bikes since I got ride of my ST1100 and my V-Strom 1000. My two most recent acquisitions (the K1300S and the Triumph Rocket III Touring) are both sporting stock seats, and I am very happy on either of them.

The FJR has much better on board storage. If you can get comfortable with the bike, the FJR will handle a pillion more comfortably. The K1300S is significantly lighter, and significantly more adrenaline producing, and in my opinion, considerably safer when pushing the bike to its limits, with its traction control and significantly lighter weight. My opinion, and your mileage may vary, is that the K1300S is considerably more nimble and flickable.

These two are really different kinds of bikes, the FJR being more akin to the K1300GT than the K1300S. I had planned to get a K1200GT when I bought the FJR, but I was having some issues with my left foot at the time, and Yamaha's AE feature was the clincher that sold me on the FJR.

Since that time my need for the AE has gone away. I liked the feature. Very nice to avoid clutching all the time in traffic. Very nice to give the left foot a rest when it was having trouble. BMW has nothing similar. I have the Gear Shift Assistant on the K1300S, but it is focused on clutchless drag racing upshifts and does nothing to facilitate regular shifting.

I hope you enjoy your test ride.

hmm I don't notice any vibes, but I do own a KLR as well. I hadn't ridden the KLR in a month since I bought the FJR and I thought something was wrong with it due to the vibes. Turned out I was right, my doohickey spring was broken...torsion spring in stalled. Still has lots of vibes but its not bad.

El Toro,

Thanks for the information. I actually got over to a BMW dealer a couple days ago, and sat on a new 2010 tri-color model on the showroom floor. I was in my car, with no gear, and didn't have time for a test ride anyway. I was impressed with the bike up close. It does feel light, seat is a bit lower than the FJR, more sporty riding position but not uncomfortable. They had an S1000RR sitting right next to it, and jumping off the K1300S and onto that bike you really see the difference in bar position. The K1300S is between the FJR and the S1krr. Detail and fit/finish was very good on the K1300S.

I was told that they won't be getting any more new 2010 models, and I would much prefer the Lava Orange. 2011 models should arrive at the dealer around November. I'm also considering the VFR1200, but I'd wait for 2011 to iron out any bugs and because I don't want a red bike. I'm pretty sure my next bike will be one of those two, and it will be purchased late this year or early next year.

I swear to Gawd I sometimes think this forum is like the radio shows I listen to. Some dumb ass caller will call in and lie to the screener and then once their on the radio they talk shit about the other political party of which the show host is.

I bet this guy didn't really ever own an FJR he's just a Kawi sympathizer and wants to talk shit about our bikes.

Go away cry baby, or maybe just stay on your own Kawi site. I swear, bunch of damn whiners.

Maybe you should buy a used Miata and join their club and then talk shit about good old AMERICAN iron.

[/quo

I spent most of the winter trying to decide which sport touring bike to purchase, I purchased a 2009 FJR at the end of march, road it for 3762 miles at trade in. No one is talking shit except you. I took a loss to trade bikes to get rid of what was for me a unaceptable problem. I didn't meen to offend you or anyone else.

For my 2cents I'll say that the 2010 has had the vibes worked out of it, the snatchy throttle fixed and any other complaint that there might have been with previous model years. My 2010 FJR has been flawless as has my friends who's bike rolled off the assembly line right behind mine per the VINS. Or maybe it's because we both traded in HDs and are still thrilled with the change.

For my 2cents I'll say that the 2010 has had the vibes worked out of it, the snatchy throttle fixed and any other complaint that there might have been with previous model years. My 2010 FJR has been flawless as has my friends who's bike rolled off the assembly line right behind mine per the VINS. Or maybe it's because we both traded in HDs and are still thrilled with the change.
So what you're saying is the Yammy engineers opened up their Gen I playbooks, paid attention, and are finally putting things right?

Jes checkin'.

So what you're saying is the Yammy engineers opened up their Gen I playbooks, paid attention, and are finally putting things right?

Jes checkin'.
Simply saying that the 2010 FJR has made 2 riders very happy about going with this model and have found nothing to complain about. :rolleyes:

I loved everything about my 08 FJR, except the on and off buzz at higher speeds, and I am one of those with a low tolerance to it. I sold an '85 V65 Sabre after 14 years for the FJR and was surely spoiled by the V4. Funny, I never rode an ST 1300 before buying the FJR because it looked too Gold Wing like for me. But I did ride one a couple months ago finally, the motor seemed like an old firend. I bought an new '10. I'm sure when Yamaha finally does a complete remake, motor and all, it won't buzz anymore.
If and when Honda redoes the ST, I'll be taking a long look at it. I've made a ton of changes to my '07, and am sitting here with a slight numbness in my right thumb and the tips of my fingers, 6 days after completing a 3200 mile trip to Colorado. The changes have made the buzz better, but have not eliminated it, at least for me. And on my bike, my opinion is all that counts, right? ;)

The FJR may buzz a bit more, but my ST1300 wasn't much smoother than the FJR when I take the time to keep the TBs synched. The ST1300 won't feel like an old friend when it gets to be 100F and your shins get red through your riding pants, and your "jewels" get burned from the gas tank. And when I politely probed Honda about cutting holes in the fairing above the radiator to get some air in there for comfort for the rider, I got a not so nice letter from Honda USA. I will have a hard time giving Honda any of my money in the future.

Honda had 7 years to alleviate its heat issue and never made any changes, Yamaha made their changes in three years, and Kawi made their fix in two years. Typical Honda arrogance.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, I said I'd look at an ST after a redesign, not at what they're building now. And my Feejer had a fresh TBS before I took it to Denver. I kinda like Honda's "arrogance". It comes from many years of making good product. YMOV.

Well, I said I'd look at an ST after a redesign, not at what they're building now. And my Feejer had a fresh TBS before I took it to Denver. I kinda like Honda's "arrogance". It comes from many years of making good product. YMOV.
Buzz, vibration, nothing noticable today on my first slab and country road ride on my 2009 FJR. I've owned many bikes and the smoothness of the FJR is commendable. As far as any heat issues, the 2009 doesn't have any in my opinion. A hot 94 deg and humid day in Florida and I searched for uncomfortable heat issues and couldn't find them. Seems the problem has been successfully addressed. Bill

Buzz, vibration, nothing noticable today on my first slab and country road ride on my 2009 FJR. I've owned many bikes and the smoothness of the FJR is commendable. As far as any heat issues, the 2009 doesn't have any in my opinion. A hot 94 deg and humid day in Florida and I searched for uncomfortable heat issues and couldn't find them. Seems the problem has been successfully addressed. Bill
Good for ya! The heat issues talked about above are in reference to the ST, not the FJR.