Victory Is No More

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's a bummer. Victory makes some nice bikes. It's a dammed shame they're going to continue the POS Indian line and let Victory go away. People designing and buying Indian need to let go of 1935. They are ugly as Hell and always have been. There's more than one reason they failed in the first place.Victory had some things going for it. Retro bullshit can only carry a brand for so long. It's a bummer for dealers, but I'm betting Bombardier is going to regret this when the Indian line fails in the next 10 years. I wonder if they'll try to bring Victory back then. How long have they been making the Indian junk again? 2, 3 years? I've yet to see one anywhere but at a dealership. They're going to sell like those Chevy HHR abominations, or those rounded El Camino remakes they tried. Notice those didn't last long either.
I suspect you've not ridden a modern (Spirit Lake/Polaris) Indian? You asked the OP what made him think you hadn't but you didn't say that you had, or what model. I get that you don't like Indian, but (to quote somebody) "methinks thou dost protest too much."

Last edited by a moderator:
I saw a Victory once.

We were in a line waiting for a ferry to go to Spain. In the general conversation that goes with motorcyclists hanging around, I realised that its rider had the bike simply to impress others ("I've got loads of money, look what I can buy"), which doesn't impress me in the least.

He would be sticking to main roads in Spain, which was probably a wise decision with that bike, but who wants ride a motorcycle, sticking to motorways, in a country that has some really great motorcycling roads?

I didn't take a photo of it, which probably sums up my thoughts about its looks.

While I don't like to see any business close, with the accompanying loss of jobs and uncertainties for current owners, I won't be shedding any tears.

I saw a Victory once.
Which Victory (Vision?) Some, like the Cross Country, aren't as hideous as the Vision. In the cruiser genre, the Victory's have a pretty good product in terms of technology and reliability. Leagues ahead of the Motor Company.

I saw a Victory once.
Which Victory (Vision?) Some, like the Cross Country, aren't as hideous as the Vision. In the cruiser genre, the Victory's have a pretty good product in terms of technology and reliability. Leagues ahead of the Motor Company.
Dunno which one. Didn't even bother to go round the front to see if it looked any better from that angle. In all honesty, I found the rider so full of himself that I didn't want to give him the satisfaction of showing any interest.

Hope my opinion doesn't upset anyone, but that's all it is, my opinion.

Still my favorite bike of all time. Put 45K smiles on it in three years, even being gone 70% of the time for work. I sold it when we had our first kid, kept the Tenere which eventually became the FJR.

Last night my wife suggested we keep an eye out for visions selling for cheap.

I have surprised more than a few sports bike riders, carving through mountains on the Vision. They do handle very well.

axCeWI2.jpg

You see? Now you're just being mean! Haha...Actually, our CanAm dealer sells KTM, Suzuki and Kawasaki also. Biggest MC store in Albuquerque, so we're in there a lot. The people who own our Victory dealer are very cool. Thankfully most of their sales seem to come from quads and side by sides.
The Victory dealer here in Austin is this weird place called Napalm. I went in there a few times, but remember that they had put some floor sealant down in the showroom that put off some nasty fumes, even a year later. The Indian dealer is at a resale shop called Dream Machines, that mainly traffics in used Harleys. A neighbor of mine has been talking about getting a bike forever, and he's been all over the map. His wife told him he should get a Harley, because he "had a bunch of the T shirts", so he's been looking at Dream Machines a lot. I mentioned to him yesterday that he should take a peek at the Indians while he is in there, which I'm sure added at least three more months to his waffling.

I saw a Victory once....

I didn't take a photo of it, which probably sums up my thoughts about its looks.

Ok, I lied, I did take a picture.

(Click on image if you really want a larger view)

Man to the left of the Victory is my friend and leader, much more polite than I am; he was prepared to talk to the bike's owner, who is stood to the bike's right. FAL's bike is the FJR behind that, mine is the one in the right foreground. Filthy after a couple of days avoiding the snow in England (start of the story here, or for the full trip, here).

A couple of pics:

The first Vision I rode, July 28, 2008. Tell me the front end of those would not scare the bejeebus out of a kid that didn't like clowns!

Visions_zps8sznc9ea.jpg

A couple of bikes I rode in June of last year. The black one is a Victory Cross Country, the red one an Indian Chieftain. No doubt about which of the two would be in my garage, if I had to take one.

IMG_7401_zpsd4rxf2dt.jpg

A couple of pics:
The first Vision I rode, July 28, 2008. Tell me the front end of those would not scare the bejeebus out of a kid that didn't like clowns!

Visions_zps8sznc9ea.jpg

A couple of bikes I rode in June of last year. The black one is a Victory Cross Country, the red one an Indian Chieftain. No doubt about which of the two would be in my garage, if I had to take one.

IMG_7401_zpsd4rxf2dt.jpg
Of those three, I'd take the 'potamus.

I did see Mudslide's son do some amazing riding on his Cross Country at the Colorado Cluster. Still, it is a heavy beast and very large.

I like the retro look of the Indians and enjoy looking at them, but they won't be taking any of my money. I agree with the people who said they need to add some modern technology type machines to the lineup.

I wouldn't expect much sympathy for a cruiser line to go out of business on this forum. Anything other than an FJR here is considered wasteful metal.

Keep an open mind, and Victory provided an American alternative to Harley...with a more advanced powertrain. Rip on Harley all you want, but they sell very well. Why not take some of that market?

As for the Indian brand, Polaris has the deep pockets to finally set Indian up right again. I have no idea how well they selling. I do know two life-long Harley guys that have always had Harleys and preached Harley to no end. Their last Harleys were full dressed CVO's that spent more time in the shop than on the street. They finally got disgusted and bought Indian Roadmasters. Indian gave them an alternative.

On a sidenote I flew to New Orleans last year and rented an Indian Roadmaster for 3 days. Drove it into Texas and back. Was a fine motorcycle. I found it attractive, with good power, excellent wind protection, and comfortable seat. My only complaint was the heat on my legs. It was 90+ degrees every day but that bike put off unbearable heat. I hear there is an after market fix for that, but the heat and the price ($30k) are deal breakers. Otherwise I loved every minute of the ride, and if money was no object I'd have one.

I'm on my 3rd FJR. Obviously I feel the FJR is an unbeatable package at the price they sell for. I just try to understand that everyone has different tastes and expectations of what a motorcycle should be. As long as they don't infringe upon my riding happiness, then have a great day.

Don.

Dressing up like a pirate only to be rejected by all the other pirates must be devastating. Probably too many hurt feelings out there for the brand to forge on....

• In 2015, Victory represented only 3 percent of total Polaris sales; at retail,
  • Victory dealers, on average, sold only about 20 units per year In 2016,
  • The Company has lost money in Victory 3 of the past 5 years (2011–2015)

The above from the Power Point link above tells the whole story.

I visited with a friend yesterday who is an Indian Dealer in Colorado, they, "Polaris" had been encouraging him, read "twisting his arm unmercifully" to take on Victory until about three months ago.

Tough to make it as a Victory dealer, low sales forecasts, huge expense in Parts garment's and Accessories required to get into the game. Polaris uses a "Snowmobile based business model" when it comes to setting up their franchised dealers, lots of extraneous requirements to get the deal done all of which require dealer investment.

He claims the Indian line is selling like crazy, especially the more modern "Scout" and "Scout 60" which he claims perform quite well and are at a great price point to compete with Sportsters and Japanese Cruisers.

I know from my experience at Daytona and at Sturgis that the Victory owners were quite loyal to the brand. Most were very happy with the performance and reliability of the brand, often frustrated by the lack of availability of Farkles/geegaws etc for their bikes.

From visiting with other aftermarket manufacturers and vendors at Daytona/Sturgis I learned that unlike the Motor Company, Polaris releases info on their new bikes so that the aftermarket can have "Stuff" available soon after the bikes hit the market. More importantly, the info that was released was accurate, bolts, nuts etc were in the sizes and positions shown on pre release info so that stuff made by the aftermarket fits, unlike the Motor Company.

Hate to see the Victory dealers take the inevitable "Bath" which will result from the cessation of operations. The Rapid City SD Victory Dealer apparently is their highest volume retailer. He was in the newspaper this morning bemoaning the loss of the line.

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="RacinRay" data-cid="1352087" data-time="1483976794"><p>

I'd like to see Indian take a page out of Triumph's play book and expand beyond the "vintage" Chief and Scout lines into more modern configurations.</p></blockquote>

Triumph seems to be going in the other direction. The vertical twins are their bread and butter.

Other stuff is mostly getting a lick and a promise.

The promoted bikes are all Thai built to a look and a price point.

I don't believe they will sell Victory to anyone. Promised to support parts and warr. for 10 years.

I never road either brand, can't comment on that.

Harley is making strides in Tech. only because they have to. Need to pass EPA smog tests. They have a new 4 valve cylinder head liquid, oil cooling depends on model.

Milwaukee Eight. Welcome to 1980 something. Harley BASHER sorry.

What's going to happen to Brammo? What about Pikes Peak and the Isle of Man? Will the Victory Empulse TT become the Indian Empulse TT?

Thanks to all of you I now can't get the screaming clown out of my head!
jester.gif
shout.gif

That's a bummer. Victory makes some nice bikes. It's a dammed shame they're going to continue the POS Indian line and let Victory go away. People designing and buying Indian need to let go of 1935. They are ugly as Hell and always have been. There's more than one reason they failed in the first place.

Victory had some things going for it. Retro bullshit can only carry a brand for so long. It's a bummer for dealers, but I'm betting Bombardier is going to regret this when the Indian line fails in the next 10 years. I wonder if they'll try to bring Victory back then. How long have they been making the Indian junk again? 2, 3 years? I've yet to see one anywhere but at a dealership. They're going to sell like those Chevy HHR abominations, or those rounded El Camino remakes they tried. Notice those didn't last long either.
I suspect you've not ridden a modern (Spirit Lake/Polaris) Indian? You asked the OP what made him think you hadn't but you didn't say that you had, or what model. I get that you don't like Indian, but (to quote somebody) "methinks thou dost protest too much."
I only protest because I don't like them, and because I can. Ha! I rode some monstrosity of swooped fenders and baggage. I had a picture, but the "jpg" image extension "isn't allowed in this forum." Haha...Shit software strikes again. Just Google a 2015 Roadmaster in white.

It handled like it looks; like the Buick it's named after. I preferred my buddy's Electra Glide. I guess that's what I don't get. Victory was making strides in design and power. At least they were 10 years ago when I was paying attention to them. Maybe a lot has changed and they got stagnant. Indian looks like a repackaged HD with the same tired V-twin, low power to weight ratio and cappy suspension. Might as well be another Japanese cruiser. My problem is, I think they are ugly as sin. The Scout has some nice lines, but those full retro fenders have to go. I've never liked them. Not the old ones, and not the new ones. Sorry.

However, if people are so into retro junk, we could bring bathck the 1977 Mustang Cobra. Yet another retro vehicle I would avoid like the plague.

What's going to happen to Brammo? What about Pikes Peak and the Isle of Man? Will the Victory Empulse TT become the Indian Empulse TT?
Thanks to all of you I now can't get the screaming clown out of my head!
jester.gif
shout.gif
I was wondering about Brammo as well. Ya gotta think they got sumthin up their sleeves.

Mebbee it's an electric cruiser, with carbon fibre tidbits, a battery that can go 250 miles and a sound system that puts out a potato sound. A buddy of mine owns an early victory and I shit you not, if he is witiin 200 feet of me when we are riding I can always hear him shift. Sounds like a rifle shot.

Thunder Stroke??!! Bwaaaaaaahahahahahaha...That's what they call their motor? A Thunder Stroke? I'm not an idiot, I know it's not an HD motor. What I was saying is that V-twins have been done to death, and this is yet another attempt.

Thunder Stroke...Why don't they call it Lightning Butt, or Anus Blow? Now I hate them even more!