Warm weather leg protection

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thumperbike

Reaction score
Any advice on leg armor for warm/hot weather riding? I remember Scooter having something to say, but I lost the link. Are Firstgeat HTII overpants too much? Is there a mesh that will not suffocate?

Do you mean First Gear HT II AIR Overpant?

I have the "standard" First Gear HT overpant and it gets too hot in summer (I live in SoCal; 100+ days are common in summer). I am looking at the HT Air version for summer riding. In fact NewEnough.com has a close out on the HT Air for $139 (HT II Air is the new, improved version), which I'll probably order.

By the way I have been very happy with the design and quality of the First Gear HT Overpant I have now, they're just too hot in summer. Hope this helps.

Larry

I have both the first gear HT AIR overpant and the Joe Rocket Phoenix mesh pants. THe Rockets will flow more air, but I think the First Gear pants offer a little more protection.

I ride First gear HT mesh year round (liners in the cold)...and 100+days.

100+ days are hot, but not because of the pants.

O'vale, do you wear shorts or pants under your mesh in the summer ?

Last edited by a moderator:
I've worn shorts a few times, but I use them as over pants over my work trousers.

I think the joe rockets I have are fine.

Went with the HT air overpants through Newenough and upgraded the hip and knee armor. Thanks for the responses.

just got my ht air overpants 2.0 on friday from new enough. They are very nice as far as I've used them (mornings in the 30's, afternoons in the 50's) with the liners in. They are a HUGE improvement over just wearing my dockers in to work. We'll see how they do in the heavy rains and high heat over the season.

I use FirstGear also, but there was a thread long ago that some company had removable leg pants that convert to shorts when your off your bike, and zipper them back around your leg when you are ready to ride. Forgot the link, but if someone finds it, let me know.

O'vale, do you wear shorts or pants under your mesh in the summer ?
both. I wore short with liner in on a cold day too...liner was plenty to keep warm. I think this gear is very comfortable and I have no problem wearing it all the time...which is good because I don't ride without it.

I got a good deal on Hein Gericke HT Air Overpants from newenough on closeout back in the summer. Hein Gericke is/was made by First Gear, and the HG HT Air's are almost identical to the First Gear HT Air 1.0 version, but with a slightly different pocket layout.

The NewEnough Motorcycle Body Armor page has a few different armor upgrade pieces for First Gear pants and jackets. Here's an interesting quote from the First Gear Core-Comp page:

Something else to try...  One customer writes: "I found that the FG pockets are large enough to comfortably accept the Core Comp IN ADDITION to the Temper Foam. I just slipped them in the pocket outward of the foam pieces. So now I have the "hard stuff" facing the outside and the "soft stuff" on the inside against my knees, elbows & shoulders. Try it, it's not too bulky, but makes the mesh gear feel REAL substantial armor-wise"

Like O'vale, many of us in CA's central valley wear shorts under the HT II overpants. In fact, many of us have been known to wear only "UnderArmor" shorts. Every little bit helps when riding in 100+ degree heat. This also makes it really convenient when we find a nice mountain stream to cool off in. Okay, TWN, go ahead...... :p

Like O'vale, many of us in CA's central valley wear shorts under the HT II overpants. In fact, many of us have been known to wear only "UnderArmor" shorts. Every little bit helps when riding in 100+ degree heat. This also makes it really convenient when we find a nice mountain stream to cool off in. Okay, TWN, go ahead...... :p

Thanks for the "tip" mm2...but, TMI :eek:

BTW, what do they call you after a dip in those cold mountain streams?

--G

Thanks for the "tip" mm2...but, TMI :eek:

BTW, what do they call you after a dip in those cold mountain streams?

--G

Cool, man, real cool! :lol:

I wear Joe Rocket Phoenix Pants if it is over 60 degrees. If it's really hot, I'll wear shorts under them. The only problems I've had are the strange looks I get when I take off the pants and am wearing socks/riding boots with shorts.

Brian

I wear Joe Rocket Phoenix Pants if it is over 60 degrees. If it's really hot, I'll wear shorts under them. The only problems I've had are the strange looks I get when I take off the pants and am wearing socks/riding boots with shorts.
Brian

I just wear the overpants. I only take them off when at the end of the day. It's kind of de rigeur out here. On group rides its common to see 8-15 riders wearing our riding gear into a restaurant. If the H.D./cruiser types can wear all that leather..... :p

Latest posts