Weekend Trip to Scotland & Ireland on FJR

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MadDogMcQ

Reaction score
My Father left Northern Ireland when he was a young fella and moved to Bolton, England. Sadly, he got cancer and died at the young age of 27 and as a result, I never got to meet all his family back in Ireland. So at the ripe old age of 48, I decided to search for his brothers and sisters and go over for a quick meet this Bank Holiday weekend. Unfortunately, out of a family of about 13, only 3 sisters remain, but nevertheless I thought it would be great to meet them at last. I got to meet two of my Aunts and a good few cousins.

Rather than travel from Liverpool and sail for 8 hours, I decided to ride up to Stranraer in Scotland and jump on what is claimed to be the largest and fastest ferry in the world - the Stena Voyager (I think it has a couple of FJR engines). :yahoo: It takes just 110 minutes on this baby and its incredibly smooth. Someone on the ferry told me that we were travelling at over 60mph, so I pulled out my Zumo and it clearly showed that we were travelling at just 30mph (although it did peak later at 47mph)

voyager.jpg

The journey up to Scotland had been as boring as every other Motorway journey, apart from a little respite as I passed through the Lake District. Having said that, I was amazed at how quickly I had reach Gretna Green. The FJR just eats up those miles as if they were an appetiser!! What a great highway bike! With that adjustable screen (the large one, not the standard) I could achieve the perfect position where wind-blast went straight over my head but not enough to cause too much pushing on my back.

Once I got onto the A75 to Stranraer, things really started to get exciting. The sun was shining, the roads were dry and the FJR was eager to make some progress on those long sweeping bends. What a fantastic bike and what fantastic roads!! I couldn't believe how fast I was riding - this bike will definitely lose me my licence!!! One twist of that throttle and she just picks up her skirt and flies down that road like there's no tomorrow. Brilliant!

136mph.jpg

On the return journey, I was followed off the ferry in Stranraer by a young chap on a Honda 600RR. He had previously been looking at my bike as if to say "I'll get one of those when I get my pipe and slippers". I tell you, he got the surprise of his life when we reached the A75 because I just left him for dead!! There was simply no way that he could keep up with me. It was no surprise to me of course, but I think he was more than a bit miffed :D The only time he could catch me was when I was held up by double-white-lines and slow traffic. But of course as soon as a break came, I was away again and he disappeared from sight until the next hold up.

Well, I had a fantastic time and I will certainly be going back again soon. I never saw a single speed-camera while I was in Ireland and the roads in Scotalnd are just awesome. Okay, so my Miles-Per-Gallon suffered a little, but what the hell.

600mls_36mpg.jpg

Can't wait to go again! And for any Police Officers reading this....it's all fabricated rubbish! :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
We spent a few weeks in Wales and Ireland in October of 06 and I really wish I would have found a place to rent a bike but then the weather was bad and well, I guess we had too much luggage. It sound slike you had a great time.

Nice write up Madmcq

Some of those lake district roads are great for a bike. I was there last year - but in a car - not the same at all.

Briefly looked into a bike rent - they wanted an arm & a leg !!

I would love to visit my roots of Wale's especially on a FJR. Of course we would have to take in Ireland, Scotland and England. How much better could that be? Nice ride report! PM. <>< ;)

Maddogmcq,

Interested in a bike swap for a couple of weeks?? Two weeks in Ft. Lauderdale, Fl for two weeks on that same trip and around England????

P.S. My bikes an 07 also!

Great trip. Love the bit about pipe and slippers.

DH and I rode around the Lake District a lot, many many years ago. We thought we were hot stuff, on Honda CB200s. Would LOVE to re-visit those roads with an FJR.

Jill

Nice report, No pictures though!!!! :lol: Maybe you can show em me this weekend. We might well end up at the Barn on Sunday, will let you know if we are heading that way.

We have done a week in Scotland and a week in Southern Ireland both on different ST1100's. They are equally as good for bikes, the scenery is breathtaking in Scotland, and the West Coast of Ireland is too.

We will be going back to both no doubt.

I was havin so much fun on this fine bike that I didn't want to stop for ANY reason. Normally, I'm stopping all the time taking photos, but not on this run. I just wanted to enjoy those roads and the FJR. Only ones I did take are here....

stranraer_bay.jpg

stranraer_first_on.jpg

And a pic of the tiny 2-bedroom house which my Dad grew up in (13 people in this house!!!)

51carrickdale.jpg

As for the barn this weekend Feejer222, I won't be there - I'm off to the Caravan and the Lakes mate.

By the way, what appears to be bright rectangular patches on the back of the panniers are in fact, those black reflective stickers. The camera-flash must have lit them up, cos during the daytime you obviously can't even see that they're there.

Forgot to mention that when I was back in Scotland I stopped at a Little-Chef for breakfast and spotted 4 old Bentleys in the car-park. Three of them were the Supercharged 3.5 Litre jobbies. Fantastic!!!

bentley2.jpg

bentley.jpg

And hey Zodiac....... sure, I'dd do a "Holiday Swap" with you B)

You can use my Holiday Home as a starting-point for your tours. It's only 20 minutes away from the Lake District, has 2 bedrooms, central heating, double-glazing, TV, outdoor decking, onsite heated swimming pool, two bars, entertainment, etc, etc.

brown21-01.jpg

brown21-03.jpg

Wow, nice pics MadDog. Especially like the one with the FJ parked next to the fence. Looks like a painting. Keep up the good work. PM. <>< :thumbsup:

Love the photos MadDog. I don't think the average American believes just how small English homes were/are. Our three bedroom house was well under 1000 square feet. The garage (with shared driveway) would JUST squeeze a Ford Cortina in.

What luxury we enjoy now - but we don't have the Lake District close by any more. :(

Jill

Love the photos MadDog. I don't think the average American believes just how small English homes were/are. Our three bedroom house was well under 1000 square feet. The garage (with shared driveway) would JUST squeeze a Ford Cortina in.
What luxury we enjoy now - but we don't have the Lake District close by any more. :(

Jill
:p

MadDogMcQ

I hope to make it back to Scotland one of these days and do a motorcycle trip. Spend a fair amount of time in Dunoon and surrounding area during the early 70's when I was in the military. Would like to ride a bike from Greenock to Inverness especially when the heather is in bloom in the Highlands.