Weeping on swing arm

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zzzzip

Reaction score
'13 FJR 5,000 miles. I bought it used a couple of months ago. I failed to notice black oily dust on bottom of final drive swing arm weep hole down the arm to the pumpkin.

Checked fd oil level and it was a bit over full so let some out to proper level. Been maintaining my FJRs for 10 years or so.

Just wondering why I still have it weeping under the swing arm? Not a drip or leak. Put about 500 miles on it since I last wiped it off and it's there again.

Indicative of a seal going bad? If so, will it fail slowly or quickly, like when I'm 1000 miles from home?

The swing arm is hollow. Wiping off the outside around the weep hole doesn't get rid of the splooge inside, which will eventually find its way out the hole.

...black oily dust on bottom of final drive swing arm weep hole down the arm to the pumpkin.

Indicative of a seal going bad?...
How's it different than https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php/topic/165267-ive-got-the-dreaded-leak/?hl=seal]this recent NEPRT thread[/url]?
Sorry-- I was doing this on an iPhone, and meant to post on the technical/mechanical problems section. Thick fingers.
No wonder I didn't find it posted there. Pilot error.

Plus I didn't think of looking or searching here with the phone. Too hard to use. I need to get back on the bigger platforms.

Thanks for the link.

Last edited by a moderator:
...black oily dust on bottom of final drive swing arm weep hole down the arm to the pumpkin.

Indicative of a seal going bad?...
How's it different than this recent NEPRT thread?
Wow!!! I'm famous; you referenced my thread, haha. After draining a bit of fluid from the final drive, mine seems to be fine now. I'm still not sure how I overfilled it in the first place, other than being in a hurry to get the fill plug back after filling it with fluid.