Well kiss my grits

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fjr07

Reaction score
Well kiss my grits, found out yesterday that I will be without my seat for about a month.

Sent it in on the 19th like they said and I do know that it got there by Sat.. My build date was on the 27th.

Found out that they have not even touched it as yet.

Notified me that I would not be getting the seat until at least the 18th of this month.

What a bummer. I thought that when you scheduled a build date that it was built on that date.

How can it be a custom seat for you if it takes a week or so (like they told me) after it goes into production to be complete.

I guess that they know their business, but I sure don't understand it.

They told me that they were really backed up, so if you are planning on sending in a seat and having it back a few days after build date, you better forget that and wait until the non riding months until you send it in.

found out yesterday that I will be without my seat for about a month...like they said and I do know that it got there by ...build date was on the 27th..Notified me that I would not be getting the seat until at least the 18th of this month.What a bummer. I thought that when you scheduled a build date..(like they told me)...They told me...
And who is this 'they' that told you this? Different seat manufacturers have different reliabilities when they say something will be done. Also, some offer to build your new seat on their seat pan so you won't be without a seat. When your custom arrives you send your stock seat back to them and they return your deposit. I had Rick Mayer build my seat on one of their seat pans. It was a good thing too 'cause it took 5 months from order date to receipt of the custom seat. It was worth it though.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just a note, I call before I shipon the build date given just prior to sending it to make sure this won't happen. Also oem seats are to be had on site cheap and some will even lend their spare if the user will pay shipping both ways. I had my BMS built I sent it Monday and had it at the house on Friday. I live in Ca as shipping UPS ground is 2 days. but it was Feb and I am sure they were not as busy as now. Just a little info for the future.

Bummer. Who gave you such great service?
Guys, it's Russell, probably the best thats out there, must be covered up also.

Break out the pillows......
I wish that I had done like someone on this post suggested, to purchase another cheaper seat prior to sending them in.

But I never listen.

found out yesterday that I will be without my seat for about a month...like they said and I do know that it got there by ...build date was on the 27th..Notified me that I would not be getting the seat until at least the 18th of this month.What a bummer. I thought that when you scheduled a build date..(like they told me)...They told me...
And who is this 'they' that told you this? Different seat manufacturers have different reliabilities when they say something will be done. Also, some offer to build your new seat on their seat pan so you won't be without a seat. When your custom arrives you send your stock seat back to them and they return your deposit. I had Rick Mayer build my seat on one of their seat pans. It was a good thing too 'cause it took 5 months from order date to receipt of the custom seat. It was worth it though.
Man I don't even want to think about 5 months, they must of went off on a vacation during that period of time.

Just a note, I call before I shipon the build date given just prior to sending it to make sure this won't happen. Also oem seats are to be had on site cheap and some will even lend their spare if the user will pay shipping both ways. I had my BMS built I sent it Monday and had it at the house on Friday. I live in Ca as shipping UPS ground is 2 days. but it was Feb and I am sure they were not as busy as now. Just a little info for the future.
I did call and they even called me again prior to the 19th to make sure that I was sending it in. I told them that I sure was and that I was shipping on the 19th to makes sure that it would be in their hands prior to the 27th. I wanted a good turn around.

The way that they talk now the build date is just the day that your seat enters production, not a start and finish on this date like a ride in. I guess that most of their days are spent on the ride in's.

I'm really not mad, I'm just without a seat .

Sometimes, I'm really spoiled. Bill Mayer's shop in 20 miles away. He's doing my Strom seat this month. I'll have to wait all of 4 hours. I hate waiting. :hehe:

Since I have struck a deal with Packrider, I have a front seat you can borrow (since I won't be sending it to Russell). If you pay shipping both ways. I will need it back.

Or you can do like I did and sit on a towel and lower your center of gravity. Made for some fun riding when I sent my seat off to have a gel insert put in.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sometimes, I'm really spoiled. Bill Mayer's shop in 20 miles away. He's doing my Strom seat this month. I'll have to wait all of 4 hours. I hate waiting. :hehe:
Just keep it up Barney
What a bummer - Hey, I have a bucket seat I took out of a 66 Chevy Malibu, if that will help?
Put it on that orient express and send it on.

Let me know what day it will be here.

Since I have struck a deal with Packrider, I have a front seat you can borrow (since I won't be sending it to Russell). If you pay shipping both ways. I will need it back.
Or you can do like I did and sit on a towel and lower your center of gravity. Made for some fun riding when I sent my seat off to have a gel insert put in.
I do appreciate the offer, I have also had a couple of offers from close to home. I also have a LT that I can ride, just not as fun.

Thanks for the kind offer.

I liked Rick Mayer's system to avoid this (especially since he also tends to run late ;) ). You keep your stock seat and send in a deposit check for cost of a new seat pan. He builds the saddle on a pan he has in stock, mails it to you, then gives you 30 days to return your own stock seat to replenish his supply of pans. When your stocker gets there, he sends your deposit check back.

Personally (JMHO), I'd take somebody up on the loaner seat, have Russel ship mine to Rocky Mayer, and be done. You only need a Russel if you're in the 240+ gravity force range. Assuming you aren't, you'll be just as comfortable and probably save some coin. YMMV.

Personally (JMHO), I'd take somebody up on the loaner seat, have Russel ship mine to Rocky Mayer, and be done. You only need a Russel if you're in the 240+ gravity force range. Assuming you aren't, you'll be just as comfortable and probably save some coin. YMMV.
I've got a Rick Mayer on my LT, and it is much better than the stock.

I thought that I would try out the Russell since you hear so much about them.

But at 6-2 and 225 I guess that I do put a lot of pressure on the seat.

Guess I had better get back on my diet.